Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 06-02-2012, 12:01 PM   #1
usedtolovetvg

This Just In Paulick Report

http://www.paulickreport.com/news/th...-horse-racing/
usedtolovetvg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-02-2012, 04:05 PM   #2
gm10

Betfair lobby fails to secure California dream

"LOBBYING by Betfair has failed to secure the implementation of exchange betting in California in time for the prestigious Del Mar meeting which starts on July 18.

At a monthly board meeting on Friday the Thoroughbred Owners of California (TOC) which represents horsemen in the state, opted not to vote on the issue."

http://www.racingpost.com/news/live.sd?event_id=173401

It doesn't look good. Why is the approval of the TOC needed anyway?
gm10 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-02-2012, 04:23 PM   #3
usedtolovetvg

They don't have the owners. They don't have the trainers. They don't have Stronach. As far as I can tell they have Simon Bray, Todd Schrupp and a few uninformed fans.
Old 06-02-2012, 04:30 PM   #4
FenceBored

Quote:
Originally Posted by gm10
"LOBBYING by Betfair has failed to secure the implementation of exchange betting in California in time for the prestigious Del Mar meeting which starts on July 18.

At a monthly board meeting on Friday the Thoroughbred Owners of California (TOC) which represents horsemen in the state, opted not to vote on the issue."

http://www.racingpost.com/news/live.sd?event_id=173401

It doesn't look good. Why is the approval of the TOC needed anyway?
Federal Law. The way the Interstate Horseracing Act of 1978 was worded allows a horsemen's group to block the import/export of simulcast signals. This was intended to give the horsemen leverage to insure that their interests (and the purse account) weren't ignored in negotiations between their host tracks and other entities (tracks, OTBs, ADWs, etc.).
FenceBored is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-02-2012, 04:59 PM   #5
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Horsemen were given way too much power. It is one of racing's biggest downfalls.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-02-2012, 05:07 PM   #6
Charli125

Quote:
Originally Posted by usedtolovetvg
They don't have the owners. They don't have the trainers. They don't have Stronach. As far as I can tell they have Simon Bray, Todd Schrupp and a few uninformed fans.
That's funny because a lot of those "uninformed fans" you're talking about are in the 2% of players out there that actually win. Maybe not as uninformed as you'd like people to think. The only people opposed to Exchange Wagering are those that don't understand it, and those that have a personal issue with it or one of the entities involved.

CJ nailed it. The horsemen run CA now and they're not going to relinquish control any time soon. Too bad, I'd hoped some of the new blood would help, but they're just as bad as the last group.
Old 06-02-2012, 05:14 PM   #7
usedtolovetvg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charli125
That's funny because a lot of those "uninformed fans" you're talking about are in the 2% of players out there that actually win. Maybe not as uninformed as you'd like people to think. The only people opposed to Exchange Wagering are those that don't understand it, and those that have a personal issue with it or one of the entities involved.

CJ nailed it. The horsemen run CA now and they're not going to relinquish control any time soon. Too bad, I'd hoped some of the new blood would help, but they're just as bad as the last group.
I'm glad you understand it. Not too many people do.
Old 06-02-2012, 05:16 PM   #8
Charli125

Quote:
I'm glad you understand it. Not too many people do.
Then they should educate themselves. The information is all out there in the public domain. It's really pretty simple stuff if you look at it objectively.
Old 06-02-2012, 05:19 PM   #9
usedtolovetvg

It's not as simple as it appears. If anyone thinks it's as easy as getting 5-1 on a horse that is 7-2 on the tote, they are sadly mistaken. The 'bots' will grab all the value and leave the crumbs for the those who point and click.
Old 06-02-2012, 06:51 PM   #10
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
It's not as simple as it appears. If anyone thinks it's as easy as getting 5-1 on a horse that is 7-2 on the tote, they are sadly mistaken. The 'bots' will grab all the value and leave the crumbs for the those who point and click.
In any case you get the advantage of fixed odds for what you can get down.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-02-2012, 06:52 PM   #11
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
Horsemen were given way too much power. It is one of racing's biggest downfalls.
CJ,

You said a mouthful.

Talk to any horseman and he will tell you that the bettors just need to accept the fact that their money goes to support racing.

One horseman I spoke with said that "racing is entertainment." This is how the conversation went:

Me: Do you go out for an "entertainment evening" occasionally with your wife?

HM: Sure.

Me: How often do you go out?

HM: Well, with our busy schedules, maybe once every week to 10 days.

Me: How much do you usually spend on such an evening?

HM: I don't know. Maybe $150. Sometimes more; sometimes less.

Me: See, THAT is "entertainment." THAT is a reasonable budget for entertainment. Tell me... If the average horse player went to the races every 10 days and came with a budget of $150 could racing survive?

HM: No, of course not.

Me: You need him to come with more money and come more often?

HM: Yes. He has to understand that if racing is to survive, it needs his money.

Me: AND YOU HAVE TO UNDERSTAND that most people cannot justify 3-4 days per week of "entertainment" that costs them several hundred dollars.

HM: (No comment but a whole lot of quiet.)

Me: It really is very simple, you know.

HM: It is?

Me: yes. Change your business model so that it works for the customer or go out of business.

HM: Well, we can't change.

Me: Then you are going out of business.
Dave Schwartz is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-02-2012, 07:08 PM   #12
jelly
Veteran

Why can't they change?
jelly is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-02-2012, 07:27 PM   #13
Dave Schwartz

Jelly,

I think it is because they feel that they DESERVE to get paid first and, therefore, it is somebody else's problem to figure out.

Eventually they WILL realize that they are a PARTNER in a business model that does not work. That model is broken and must be fixed.
Dave Schwartz is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-03-2012, 12:15 AM   #14
usedtolovetvg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Schwartz
That model is broken and must be fixed.
It won't be fixed for a long time. Too many people to blame. It's always someone else's fault. Oh yeah, and then there's that thing called greed. I haven't met a high paid executive in a long time who wasn't a self-serving a-hole.
Old 06-03-2012, 12:27 AM   #15
Buchan

exchange models are excellent, but is betfair the company, excellent too?
maybe you need to hear the experiences of people from the uk and australia where they are licenced too.

lots of people that once whole heartedly supported betfair are now talking with their feet.

me being one of them
Buchan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply