Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 05-31-2011, 08:42 PM   #1
andymays
Veteran

During his testimony, Jones said of Dutrow, “he’s always been straight up with me"

http://www.drf.com/news/racing-board...ensing-hearing

Excerpt:

Jones testified that a shipment of urine and blood samples - which also contained the three syringes that were found in Dutrow’ barn on Nov. 3 - were returned to the track because they had been sent to the wrong address. There was no finding or suggestion that any of that evidence had been tampered with.
andymays is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-31-2011, 09:22 PM   #2
nijinski

Just so happens that Dutrow's samples get sent to the wrong address.
It's not your average package it would be marked with bright orange bio hazard stickers and usually the same courier services handlers pick up and deliver. Just wondering , how many labs so they use ?? cause it sounds fishy.
nijinski is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-31-2011, 10:20 PM   #3
point given

Why does this read like a bad B movie from the '50s ? Nobody knows nothing, the different parties have known each other for 20-30 years and says Dutrow was always straight up with me. The sample gets "lost" and returned to sender. The chain of handling the samples is corrupted by the non inclusion of notifying person employed by yhe state. Reminds me of a dog chasing its tail in a circle. All this while Dutrow sits there smirking and wise assing it but saying little. Cannot wait to hear the pearls when he gets called to testify. What a joke.
point given is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-31-2011, 10:35 PM   #4
5k-claim
Working on 'Plan B'

Quote:
Originally Posted by nijinski
Just so happens that Dutrow's samples get sent to the wrong address.
It's not your average package it would be marked with bright orange bio hazard stickers and usually the same courier services handlers pick up and deliver. Just wondering , how many labs so they use ?? cause it sounds fishy.
The thing I am learning is that it is probably a good idea to stay on the good side of the president of the fancy-named "Association of Racing Commissioners International", so that he doesn't get the idea to write a letter about you.

I wonder who the next letter will be about? (I am myself a big fan of Ed Martin, by the way.... whoever he is...)

I don't know very much about the ARCI, but I am guessing there is more to its international membership than this list ?

The New York State Racing and Wagering Board should be able to just handle its own business and look up trainers in the ARCI's violations database as it wants to. The same goes for other states. Or is the ARCI going to have an official "Bad Guys" link on its website in the future?

5k-claim is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-01-2011, 08:57 AM   #5
JustRalph
Just another Facist

'Your honor, the previous 67 offenses were just accidental in nature'

Who is the guy that gets to posit that position?
JustRalph is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-01-2011, 08:58 AM   #6
andymays
Veteran

http://www.timesunion.com/local/arti...in-1403949.php

Excerpt:

Dutrow appeared relaxed and smiled regularly. When he saw a familiar face, he grinned and gave his standard greeting of, ''Hey, Babe.'' Dutrow is here to answer to one of his horses testing positive at Aqueduct on Nov. 20 of last year for the illegal drug Butorphanol, a change that brought the trainer a 60-day suspension. He was also suspended 30 days after three syringes loaded with an the illegal drug xyzaline were found in his Aqueduct barn on Nov. 3. Dutrow has not served either suspension because he appealed the charges.
andymays is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-01-2011, 10:15 AM   #7
BIG49010

Interesting they can't ever spell the drug correctly, gives you real hope they will actually do something here.

Xylazine is a drug that is used for sedation, anesthesia, muscle relaxation, and analgesia in animals such as horses, cattle and other non-human mammals. An analogue of clonidine, it is an agonist at the α2 class of adrenergic receptor.
Old 06-01-2011, 10:16 AM   #8
Robert Fischer
clean money

not a vet, but xylazine might actually be a performance diminishing drug.
Old 06-01-2011, 10:46 AM   #9
BIG49010

My guess is that they might use it to relax a horse, before you pull the blood samples, but just a guess.I've been around barns over the years, and if you checked them all, I would guess you would find syringes in all of them.
Old 06-01-2011, 11:41 AM   #10
lamboguy

i go to new york and try to run up against these trainers and i don't use any drugs except for the stupid lassix that a stupid trainer decided to stick in my horse without asking me. i must be completely insane. i am only winning at a 42% ratel for the last year and lots of seconds. maybe if i used drugs i would never lose.

this whole crusade against dutrow is all useless horse maneur. why not just ban all drugs and see how much better racing will be and how many more people will be going to the track. watch the horses run ever week instead of once a month if you are lucky, and watch how many more older horses run and finally make the game feasible for a small owner to be in. why not listen to me racing game, you have only made a complete mess of this sport by acting like moron's.

for fans of baseball you can see your team play almost every day, basketball fans see them play 3 times a week, tennis is every week, car racing is fairly frequent when in season. why can't horses run every week? i know the answer to that one and it the reason stinks, its because of all the drugs they stick into them.

it looks like pennsylvania is going in that direction, they just got rid of kentucky red, it looks like they are going to ban other drugs and ultimately they are going to get rid of lassix. maybe thats a start.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-01-2011, 12:22 PM   #11
Hanover1

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy
i go to new york and try to run up against these trainers and i don't use any drugs except for the stupid lassix that a stupid trainer decided to stick in my horse without asking me. i must be completely insane. i am only winning at a 42% ratel for the last year and lots of seconds. maybe if i used drugs i would never lose.

this whole crusade against dutrow is all useless horse maneur. why not just ban all drugs and see how much better racing will be and how many more people will be going to the track. watch the horses run ever week instead of once a month if you are lucky, and watch how many more older horses run and finally make the game feasible for a small owner to be in. why not listen to me racing game, you have only made a complete mess of this sport by acting like moron's.

for fans of baseball you can see your team play almost every day, basketball fans see them play 3 times a week, tennis is every week, car racing is fairly frequent when in season. why can't horses run every week? i know the answer to that one and it the reason stinks, its because of all the drugs they stick into them.

it looks like pennsylvania is going in that direction, they just got rid of kentucky red, it looks like they are going to ban other drugs and ultimately they are going to get rid of lassix. maybe thats a start.
They get rid of the early monies offered for developing horses, the training methods would change to include waiting for these horses to develop and not be pushed so hard early, eliminating a vast majority of these issues. Sadly, the claiming ranks, harness in particular, race 3-4x a month, and are heavy usesr of the whole medicine chest. They are also the backbone of many a stable and racetrack for that matter. So it appears a whole host of issues need to be examined before a ruling of the likes of total banishment comes along.
Hanover1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-01-2011, 12:47 PM   #12
lamboguy

we start our horses in september or october when they are YEARLINGS. by christmas they all get turned out until sometime in february. and then they start jogging, galloping and working on a regular basis. 4 star all star won in saratoga when he was 10. instant friendship ran at 6, island fashion ran at 6, funnycide ran at 6, formal gold ran at 5, skip away ran at 5 too. those horses all ran longer than what i see lately. curlin ran until 4, flower alley never made it to 4, blame didn't make it until big brown never made it to 4.

everytime 4starallstar ran at the spa i am sure they got 10k people just to see him run and he wasn't a real superstar, just a horse with a large fan base. even cheaper horses that we have had ran until old ages like stash the boots, he's still running at 11. ruffles and ridges had his first race in gulfstream in march of his 2 year old career, he's still running at 9. when you don't train with drugs and start nice and early your horses should have longetivity to them. that is the point i am trying to make. its like when you have a child and decide you are going to be cute with him and won't let him start walking until he is 3 years old, you will eventually have a major problem on your hands. horses need to start early and run as early as possible to last long.
Old 06-01-2011, 01:23 PM   #13
Hanover1

Quote:
we start our horses in september or october when they are YEARLINGS. by christmas they all get turned out until sometime in february. and then they start jogging, galloping and working on a regular basis. 4 star all star won in saratoga when he was 10. instant friendship ran at 6, island fashion ran at 6, funnycide ran at 6, formal gold ran at 5, skip away ran at 5 too. those horses all ran longer than what i see lately. curlin ran until 4, flower alley never made it to 4, blame didn't make it until big brown never made it to 4.

everytime 4starallstar ran at the spa i am sure they got 10k people just to see him run and he wasn't a real superstar, just a horse with a large fan base. even cheaper horses that we have had ran until old ages like stash the boots, he's still running at 11. ruffles and ridges had his first race in gulfstream in march of his 2 year old career, he's still running at 9. when you don't train with drugs and start nice and early your horses should have longetivity to them. that is the point i am trying to make. its like when you have a child and decide you are going to be cute with him and won't let him start walking until he is 3 years old, you will eventually have a major problem on your hands. horses need to start early and run as early as possible to last long.
Nice examples all....however the norm, as you are aware, is once they get in the stall in the late fall as yearlings, its go-go until its time to go 4-1/2f in the spring, same applies to harness-go-go until Q time in the late spring, early summer. How many do we see that retire after 3yr old campaign with millions on the card? They all get pushed to grab that brass ring quickly.
Hanover1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-01-2011, 02:32 PM   #14
lamboguy

these people pay crazy money for their horses. they are not worth what they pay for them. if i pay $25k its big money. there is less pressure on me. if my horse has a proble, he goes on the field and runs around until he gets better without the help of the medications to keep him going. so naturally those horse won't be champions, but they can be good. when you pay $200k for a horse you want to be in the big dances. sometimes the drugs get you to those dances. more often they don't. when you go to the big dance with medicated horses they don't make it to the next dance. its pretty simple.

for me when i pay short money and have to back off its not a problem. its a problem for the big guys though. they can never get even. take away drugs and they won't spend as much for the horses and the game will be better. why should the game favor those that pump drugs and ruin horses?

i want to make it perfectly clear, you can get to the big dance and beat the horses that are medicated, but its not that easy and there aren't that many that can make it that far without the medication. take away the medications and the kenducky derby will no longer get 20 entrants in the field year after year.
Old 06-01-2011, 03:15 PM   #15
Dahoss9698
Veteran

Quote:
Blame did race at 4. Instant Friendship, Fourstardave (not his brother Fourstarsallstar) and Funny Cide are all geldings. That is why their careers lasted longer than the better horses today.

The rush to get these horses bred is as much if not more of the problem than them being unable to run more frequently or later in life. We live in an age where owners at the higher level are afraid of losing because it might tarnish their horses "legacy" or potential stud fee.

A horse like Skip Away would have been retired after his 4 year old year nowadays if he had owners like we see today. Sure, maybe the horses are a bit more fragile, but IMO what is really more fragile is the ego of the owners.
Dahoss9698 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply