Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 04-05-2011, 10:27 AM   #1
fiveouttasix

Dialed In

So Dialed In gets a 93 Beyer for the Fla. Derby...Does this mean that Soldat-To Honor and Serve-Stay Thirsty & Flash Point all regressed?
I read before the race that some handicappers thought the Fla. Derby was the toughest prep to date...is that now not the case?
How about extra credit for Dialed In because the 2,3 4 finishers were 1,2,3 the whole trip but only Dialed in closed?
What do you guys (or gals) think?
fiveouttasix is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-05-2011, 10:31 AM   #2
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveouttasix
So Dialed In gets a 93 Beyer for the Fla. Derby...Does this mean that Soldat-To Honor and Serve-Stay Thirsty & Flash Point all regressed?
I read before the race that some handicappers thought the Fla. Derby was the toughest prep to date...is that now not the case?
How about extra credit for Dialed In because the 2,3 4 finishers were 1,2,3 the whole trip but only Dialed in closed?
What do you guys (or gals) think?
The pace was very quick which could have led to those up close regressing final time wise.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-05-2011, 10:53 AM   #3
BIG49010

I was suprised by the number too, if anything it might make a betting oportunity for another horse that comes along in the next 5 weeks.
Old 04-05-2011, 11:26 AM   #4
Ocala Mike

Dialed In

I move his effort up, and he is now on my (very) short list of possible KD winners. The track was super speed biased, as the OP states regarding the horses laying 1-2-3 finishing 2-3-4.

Real question I have about the race is why the outside horse didn't leave at all. What were his connections thinking, or did he just not fire?

Ocala Mike
Ocala Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-05-2011, 11:55 AM   #5
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocala Mike
Real question I have about the race is why the outside horse didn't leave at all. What were his connections thinking, or did he just not fire?

Ocala Mike
He broke to the outside, then was wide on the first turn.
Old 04-05-2011, 12:27 PM   #6
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocala Mike
I move his effort up, and he is now on my (very) short list of possible KD winners. The track was super speed biased, as the OP states regarding the horses laying 1-2-3 finishing 2-3-4.

Ocala Mike
What leads you to believe the track was biased? I don't see it. Sure, it didn't hurt to have speed. It rarely does on a dirt track. I just don't see horses I thought should have closed that couldn't.
Old 04-05-2011, 12:46 PM   #7
Ocala Mike

Dialed In

cj, GP is one of the most notoriously speed-biased main tracks going. There was nothing about Saturday that changed this; in fact, speed was playing well all day as usual.

I like Dialed In and Ron The Greek out of the FD, especially if placed in a race where there will be a hotly-contested (breakneck?) pace on a fair track.

Ocala Mike
Ocala Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-05-2011, 12:55 PM   #8
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Dialed In won and Ron put in his usual belated rally.

I'm not saying Gulfsteam doesn't favor speed, it does, as do most dirt tracks. I just don't consider that "super speed biased".
Old 04-05-2011, 01:35 PM   #9
fiveouttasix

Dialed In's final time was 150.07...last year (2010 Fla. Derby) with similar fractions Ice Box final time was 149.19. Less than 1 second difference.
Just curious what Ice Boxes Beyer was.
fiveouttasix is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-05-2011, 01:52 PM   #10
RXB

The 2f positions of the dirt winners & runners-up: 2-3, 2-4, 2-3, 3-8, 4-1, 4-3, 2-5, 8-1.

Pressers/chasers did well. The early leaders and closers didn't have a great day.
RXB is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-05-2011, 02:06 PM   #11
Robert Fischer
clean money

i've never ever ever said this before but I like the horse...

Tracking position alone and DI's race was possibly a grade1 or grade2 - HOWEVER - the lack of other good closers in the race makes that a more SUBJECTIVE read...
In other words if you say that the finishers 2-4(and the slower ones behind) all ran a certain kind of race, and then you say Dialed In ran a different style of race, the actual "performance" could be anywhere from an upgrade to a downgrade. The fact that it was a surprise longshot lead horse further complicates it.

I look at the race in terms of "did he run his race"?
I thought everything was a positive, with the gallop out being the one thing I will have to go back over as it appears the 5 Shackleford? galloped out well inside.
Old 04-05-2011, 03:42 PM   #12
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveouttasix
Dialed In's final time was 150.07...last year (2010 Fla. Derby) with similar fractions Ice Box final time was 149.19. Less than 1 second difference.
Just curious what Ice Boxes Beyer was.
99 rings a bell.
Old 04-05-2011, 04:05 PM   #13
BIG49010

Ice Box, Pleasant Prince, and Rule who all ran faster than this years Derby, where are they now?

I am starting to think this is a weak crop of 3 year olds, if Uncle Mo turn out to be a bust.
Old 04-05-2011, 07:59 PM   #14
point given

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG49010
Ice Box, Pleasant Prince, and Rule who all ran faster than this years Derby, where are they now?

I am starting to think this is a weak crop of 3 year olds, if Uncle Mo turn out to be a bust.
Just read an article today that he PP, had a chip taken out of a knee this winter and has been working back for a start soon
point given is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-06-2011, 01:13 AM   #15
Kevroc
Chubby Chaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fischer
I thought everything was a positive, with the gallop out being the one thing I will have to go back over as it appears the 5 Shackleford? galloped out well inside.
This was the one thing that bothered me as well.
Kevroc is offline   Reply With Quote Reply