Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 02-18-2011, 01:33 PM   #1
FenceBored

Borel, the Master

Congratulations Calvin.
Borel the Master despite late Peslier charge

OLIVIER PESLIER and Doug Watson each enjoyed their second successes of the evening as War Monger landed the final leg of the Meydan Masters, a result that ensured Calvin Borel won the jockeys' challenge.
-- http://www.racingpost.com/news/horse...dubaicarnival/
FenceBored is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-18-2011, 08:15 PM   #2
OntheRail

Way to go Calvin...
OntheRail is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-19-2011, 10:30 AM   #3
Shelby

AWESOME!!!
Shelby is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-19-2011, 12:02 PM   #4
Bruddah
Veteran

I hope this quiets Calvin's detractors. It definitely shows he can ride with the Worlds best. More good luck and good fortune to a little guy who has earned it through hard work and perseverance. Congratulations to Calvin and his connections.
Bruddah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-19-2011, 12:42 PM   #5
Valuist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruddah
I hope this quiets Calvin's detractors. It definitely shows he can ride with the Worlds best. More good luck and good fortune to a little guy who has earned it through hard work and perseverance. Congratulations to Calvin and his connections.
I agree. In this ESPN age, "only thing that matters is New York and LA" age, there are plenty of capable performers in many sports who do not ply their trade on either coast.
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-19-2011, 12:48 PM   #6
Dahoss9698
Veteran

Quote:
It was a 4 race competition, that was narrowed down to a 3 race competition when one of the races failed to draw enough horses and didn't count point wise towards the competition.

He won one of the races, finished 4th in another and finished last in the final race. Not really sure what this shows, other than it was a pretty pointless "competition". His detractors have no reason to quiet down because of the results of a 3 race competition.
Dahoss9698 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-19-2011, 01:29 PM   #7
OntheRail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahoss9698
It was a 4 race competition, that was narrowed down to a 3 race competition when one of the races failed to draw enough horses and didn't count point wise towards the competition.

He won one of the races, finished 4th in another and finished last in the final race. Not really sure what this shows, other than it was a pretty pointless "competition". His detractors have no reason to quiet down because of the results of a 3 race competition.
He won... that's all that matters. At least he did it on a level field. I mean have we not learned anything from Team Zenyatta? A win is a win no matter how it's won.
Old 02-19-2011, 01:48 PM   #8
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by OntheRail
A win is a win no matter how it's won.
If you're a handicapper, this kind of thinking will do nothing but kill your bankroll.
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-19-2011, 01:53 PM   #9
joanied

Location: Wyoming, near Yellowstone Park...born/raised in Brooklyn,NY
Talking

I think it's cool...that Calvin won this...regardless of how many races they ran or how his horses finished...it's just cool for Calvin and for all the American jockeys...Calvin represented them all over there

Way to go, Calvin!

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to us"
Gandalf the Grey
joanied is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-19-2011, 04:33 PM   #10
Bruddah
Veteran

Quote:

It indicates the other jockey's didn't perform as well as Calvin. Same circumstances and conditions for all. They did award him the honor and trophy, did they not? Would you feel the same way had one of the others won? Probably not.

Congratulations Calvin Borel!
Old 02-19-2011, 08:18 PM   #11
OntheRail

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
If you're a handicapper, this kind of thinking will do nothing but kill your bankroll.
I guess my attempt at sarcasm was not that good.
Old 02-19-2011, 08:23 PM   #12
Dahoss9698
Veteran

Quote:
It indicates the other jockey's didn't perform as well as Calvin. Same circumstances and conditions for all. They did award him the honor and trophy, did they not? Would you feel the same way had one of the others won? Probably not.

Congratulations Calvin Borel!
I didn't care when Borel won and wouldn't have cared if someone else won. I was just pointing out how he won it. Did you know it was a 3 race contest where he won one race, was off the board in another and dead last in the finale? Probably not.

Congrats Calvin. You won a meaningless contest. YAY!!! My point was his performance in a 3 race contest shouldn't shut up any detractors, nor pump up any of his fans. The whole thing proved very little.
Old 02-19-2011, 10:15 PM   #13
Shelby

Quote:
I didn't care when Borel won and wouldn't have cared if someone else won. I was just pointing out how he won it. Did you know it was a 3 race contest where he won one race, was off the board in another and dead last in the finale? Probably not.

Congrats Calvin. You won a meaningless contest. YAY!!! My point was his performance in a 3 race contest shouldn't shut up any detractors, nor pump up any of his fans. The whole thing proved very little.
I guess it's kind of like hitting a trifecta by having a DQ and having your horse put up to first.....

A win is a win is a win.
Shelby is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-19-2011, 11:32 PM   #14
Bruddah
Veteran

Quote:

Yes, I read the article before I first commented. Two other races didn't draw fields of 12. Therefore those races didn't count because all the jockey's didn't have mounts.

Here's the thing, as I see it. None of the excluded races were the fault of any of the participants. None of the jockey's made the rules or conditions. They all competed equally under the same rules. In those races which qualified, Borel outperformed all of the other contestants. Therefore, he competed and won. They gave him the honor and trophy, as they would have any of the others, if they had won.
Old 02-20-2011, 01:09 AM   #15
Dahoss9698
Veteran

Quote:
Yes, I read the article before I first commented. Two other races didn't draw fields of 12. Therefore those races didn't count because all the jockey's didn't have mounts.

Here's the thing, as I see it. None of the excluded races were the fault of any of the participants. None of the jockey's made the rules or conditions. They all competed equally under the same rules. In those races which qualified, Borel outperformed all of the other contestants. Therefore, he competed and won. They gave him the honor and trophy, as they would have any of the others, if they had won.
So in other words, you aren't interested in addressing my point. You just want to respond and avoid it, while repeating the same thing. Awesome.