Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 11-18-2010, 10:23 PM   #1
Zippy Chippy

Whats the most degenerate thing you've ever seen done at the track?

Was trying to think of the best way to word this. Scumbaggiest came to mind

Im still always amazed that every time i go to the track I see the same exact people bumming money, picking up tickets etc. Im sure you guys have some great stories. Im more of a rookie, but the craziest thing i've ever seen is a guy cashing a $700 tri ticket for another person, he was being the 10%er and cashing the ticket and running out the door.

Last edited by Zippy Chippy; 11-18-2010 at 10:28 PM.
Zippy Chippy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-18-2010, 10:27 PM   #2
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Nice story.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-18-2010, 10:41 PM   #3
Bruddah
Veteran

I have been very fortunate. My home track attempts, and usually suceeds at keeping a clean and wholesome environment for its' customers. Come to think of it, I haven't seen any real "scumbaggy" incidents at any of the tracks I have played since 1965. I suppose, I have lived in a glass bubble as far as Horse Racing.

Thanks for pointing out how fortunate I've been.
Bruddah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-18-2010, 10:48 PM   #4
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruddah
I have been very fortunate. My home track attempts, and usually suceeds at keeping a clean and wholesome environment for its' customers. Come to think of it, I haven't seen any real "scumbaggy" incidents at any of the tracks I have played since 1965. I suppose, I have lived in a glass bubble as far as Horse Racing.

Where do you go? I know there are no tracks in MS. Just curious, spent some time there in my Air Force days. I was at Birmingham opening year for thoroughbreds...great time and saw Leonard beat Hagler via closed circuit at UAB.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-18-2010, 10:50 PM   #5
Zippy Chippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruddah

Wow, there are 3 tracks i go to .. I might go about twice a month. I almost always see something, even if its minor. About a month ago i left a $5 on the bar to order a beer, i went to make a bet and saw a guy come over and take my $5 off of the bar! What balls!!!
Old 11-18-2010, 10:55 PM   #6
appistappis
longshot kick de bucket

One time, I looked in a mirror.
appistappis is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-18-2010, 10:55 PM   #7
toussaud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy Chippy

Im still always amazed that every time i go to the track I see the same exact people bumming money, picking up tickets etc. Im sure you guys have some great stories. Im more of a rookie, but the craziest thing i've ever seen is a guy cashing a $700 tri ticket for another person, he was being the 10%er and cashing the ticket and running out the door.
That sounds more drug addictish than degenrate. Stupid guy. Got what he deserved.
toussaud is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-18-2010, 10:59 PM   #8
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:

How far did they chase you?
JustRalph is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-18-2010, 11:00 PM   #9
garyscpa

A ten per center had a mark, and he told the mark he'd split a long-shot superfecta with the guy. The bet cost a couple of hundred and he told the guy he'd go make the bet. He came back and showed the guy the ticket. Then he went and canceled the bet and pocketed the money. Lo and behold the Super came in at $20K. The ten per center got barred from the track. Went to the well once too often.
garyscpa is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-18-2010, 11:00 PM   #10
Zippy Chippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph
How far did they chase you?
I had a good head start so there was no catching me
Old 11-18-2010, 11:02 PM   #11
Zippy Chippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyscpa
A ten per center had a mark, and he told the mark he'd split a long-shot superfecta with the guy. The bet cost a couple of hundred and he told the guy he'd go make the bet. He came back and showed the guy the ticket. Then he went and canceled the bet and pocketed the money. Lo and behold the Super came in at $20K. The ten per center got barred from the track. Went to the well once too often.
What happened when it hit? Did he fess up? or take off? He musta been sick
Old 11-18-2010, 11:05 PM   #12
garyscpa

Quote:
What happened when it hit? Did he fess up? or take off? He musta been sick
He was lucky the guy didn't kill him. Security just permanently banned him.

He was a known ten per center who lived in his car and on the cell phone trying to get his marks to come in.
garyscpa is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-18-2010, 11:16 PM   #13
toussaud

Quote:

That sounds more drug addict than degenerate. Stupid guy. Got what he deserved.
toussaud is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-19-2010, 12:05 AM   #14
jballscalls

last month i had a guy who was selling VHS tapes out of his coat in our OTB. the guy is a regular bettor but he was tapped. I got La Bamba on VHS for $3, then we had to ask him to leave
jballscalls is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-19-2010, 02:05 AM   #15
Hoofless_Wonder
broken-down horseplayer

Surely someone who's been in the infield on Derby Day at Churchill can enlighten us on this topic?

The first thing that popped into my head was back in the late 1980s at Fairmount Park, there was an old (homeless looking) guy who fell down and was so drunk he couldn't stand back up. He was rolling around on the dirty concrete floor in the grandstand, with one of the big, fat, obnoxious regulars pointing and laughing uproarishly at him. It was so sad, but funny in juvenile sort of way. The fat guy was a complete idiot.

Fortunately, a couple of guys with a little more social grace helped the poor bastard to his feet, so he could stagger out of the place. Security, as always, nowhere to be seen.

However, many more good memories than bad - just not so many from FP.
Hoofless_Wonder is offline   Reply With Quote Reply