Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 10-24-2010, 05:50 PM   #1
andymays
Veteran

Famous Feuds in Racing: Mike Maker versus Garrett Gomez

http://racing.courier-journal.com/20...rs-horses.html

Excerpt:

Gomez was on the Maker-trained Stream of Gold in Thursday's fourth race, but told the state vet at the starting gate that there was a problem with the horse. The state vet didn't see anything that merited scratching, but Gomez declined to ride. Victor Lebron came out of the jocks' room to ride the 9-1 shot, who finished seventh.

Maker subsequently took Gomez off the four horses he was scheduled to ride for the barn Friday and the one he was named to ride Saturday. Today, Gomez was to ride two horses for Maker.
andymays is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-24-2010, 06:01 PM   #2
garyscpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymays

Excerpt:

Gomez was on the Maker-trained Stream of Gold in Thursday's fourth race, but told the state vet at the starting gate that there was a problem with the horse. The state vet didn't see anything that merited scratching, but Gomez declined to ride. Victor Lebron came out of the jocks' room to ride the 9-1 shot, who finished seventh.

Maker subsequently took Gomez off the four horses he was scheduled to ride for the barn Friday and the one he was named to ride Saturday. Today, Gomez was to ride two horses for Maker.
Damn polytrack.
garyscpa is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-24-2010, 06:11 PM   #3
Shelby

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymays

Excerpt:

I heard about all of this on TVG on Friday morning. I don't understand why Mr. Maker took Mr. Gomez off of all of his scheduled horses. I'm not a trainer, but I would not fault any jockey for speaking up if he felt that my horse wasn't feeling right. If I still felt that the horse was sound --after the vet checked him out, and if the original jockey didn't want to ride, then I'd get the replacement jockey. But, I wouldn't pull Mr. Gomez off of all other scheduled mounts.
Shelby is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-24-2010, 06:19 PM   #4
andymays
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyscpa
Damn polytrack.
Yes, damn Polytrack all day every day.
andymays is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-24-2010, 06:48 PM   #5
Stillriledup
Veteran

Famous Feud's

Joe Bravo V Julie Krone

Mike Iavarone v David Lanzman

Jerry Jam vs Richard Shapiro

Jeff Mullins vs all the Horseplayers in So Cal

Those are the ones i can think of right now, anyone want to add a few?
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-24-2010, 06:56 PM   #6
woodtoo

Zennatta fans vs Rachel Alexandra fans
woodtoo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-24-2010, 07:01 PM   #7
discodog

Smile

Gomez took himself off the two Maker had him named on today, and the feud goes on.
discodog is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-24-2010, 07:53 PM   #8
Linny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelby
I heard about all of this on TVG on Friday morning. I don't understand why Mr. Maker took Mr. Gomez off of all of his scheduled horses. I'm not a trainer, but I would not fault any jockey for speaking up if he felt that my horse wasn't feeling right. If I still felt that the horse was sound --after the vet checked him out, and if the original jockey didn't want to ride, then I'd get the replacement jockey. But, I wouldn't pull Mr. Gomez off of all other scheduled mounts.

When I rider declines to ride and or calls the horse to the attention of the track vet, he is in effect saying" This trainer has sent me out here on a sore/unfit horse." and them's fightin' words.
That said, I don't blame any rider for not wanting to compete on a horse he thinks is a ticking time bomb. This horse has an odd history and his being in for $10k says alot.
Linny is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-24-2010, 07:58 PM   #9
Hanover1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linny
When I rider declines to ride and or calls the horse to the attention of the track vet, he is in effect saying" This trainer has sent me out here on a sore/unfit horse." and them's fightin' words.
That said, I don't blame any rider for not wanting to compete on a horse he thinks is a ticking time bomb. This horse has an odd history and his being in for $10k says alot.
I can't run a lick, yet am perfectly healthy. Guess I go in cheap.........
Hanover1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-24-2010, 08:30 PM   #10
garyscpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph
don't think that one is going to work..............
It was an imported smiley and it didn't work.
garyscpa is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-24-2010, 08:42 PM   #11
Shelby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linny
Ohhhhh...

I guess that seems kind of childish to me....not trying to insult anyone by that.

For me, the safety of the horse and rider come first. Wouldn't a jockey want to keep his mount because that equals a paycheck? I would think (and again, I'm NOT smart about any of this) that if a jockey turns down a horse, that, in his mind, there is a legit reason to do so. Thus, I would take him at his word and believe him.
Old 10-24-2010, 08:51 PM   #12
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanover1
I can't run a lick, yet am perfectly healthy. Guess I go in cheap.........
Just don't expect Gomez to ride you...
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-24-2010, 10:11 PM   #13
Stillriledup
Veteran

Its all petty. The guy didnt' want to ride the horse, so the trainer made it look like the jock was just a sniveling brat (as opposed to him putting an unsound horse on the track).
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-24-2010, 10:31 PM   #14
nijinski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup
Famous Feud's

Joe Bravo V Julie Krone

Mike Iavarone v David Lanzman

Jerry Jam vs Richard Shapiro

Jeff Mullins vs all the Horseplayers in So Cal

Those are the ones i can think of right now, anyone want to add a few?
Gary Stevens vs Pat Day
nijinski is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-24-2010, 10:33 PM   #15
Shelby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup
Its all petty. The guy didnt' want to ride the horse, so the trainer made it look like the jock was just a sniveling brat (as opposed to him putting an unsound horse on the track).
I just said that, only nicer.