Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 09-20-2010, 01:29 PM   #1
boxcar

Enemies within the Ranks of Conservatives

We conservatives might not have any idea of how steep the uphill battle will be in fighting the elitists on both sides of the aisle. If the following is true about Krauthammer, my respect for him will not only have declined sharply, but now I'll be wondering how many other covert progressives are out there masquerading as conservatives.

Mr. Krauthammer knows all about how Incrementalism works in a society, too, doesn't he?

Boxcar

Ultimately, a civilized society must disarm its citizenry if it is to have a
modicum of domestic tranquility of the kind enjoyed by sister democracies
such as Canada and Britain. Given the frontier history and individualist
ideology of the United States, however, this will not come easily. It certainly
cannot be done radically. It will probably take one, maybe two generations. It
might be 50 years before the United States gets to where Britain is today.
Passing a law like the assault weapons ban is a symbolic – purely symbolic
– move in that direction. Its only real justification is not to reduce crime but
to desensitize the public to the regulation of weapons in preparation for their
ultimate confiscation.

- Charles Krauthammer,The Washington Post, Friday, April 5, 1996, page
A19 op-ed piece entitled “Disarm The Citizenry”

https://twg2a.wordpress.com/2010/03/...n-disarmament/
Old 09-20-2010, 01:41 PM   #2
Steve 'StatMan'
Traded By Cubs

That was 14 years ago. Also, it takes this paragraph in isolation. I'd rather read the whole piece, and see how he was approaching the subject - was he advocating taking guns away from the citizens, or writing about how one would go about that (whether he was pro, con, or neutral.)
Steve 'StatMan' is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-20-2010, 01:42 PM   #3
GameTheory

He wrote that about a decade & a half ago. He might not even agree with it anymore...
GameTheory is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-20-2010, 02:08 PM   #4
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by GameTheory
He wrote that about a decade & a half ago. He might not even agree with it anymore...
But he is completely on board with distancing himself from O'Donnell and implicitly expressing disdain for all those who voted for her. Why in the world would he rather support a known, proven RINO? A guy who would vote with the Dems on virtually every issue that would come down the 'pike? Where are Krauthammer's principles? Lack of principles is something we'd fully expect from most liberals -- not a real conservative.

It seems to me that his stand on O'Donnell and his support for a huge RINO would be consistent with that old piece. Nothing contradictory there. In fact, maybe those words of ole would help explain his current attitude on the Delaware election outcome.

Boxcar
Old 09-20-2010, 02:35 PM   #5
ArlJim78

I think the general point of the thread is well taken, that we probably have no idea how uphill the battle will be. We've kicked around the concept that the country is divided up into the ruling class and the country class. As the country class starts to kick up its heels and toss out members of the ruling class from power, expect a giant blowback from the ruling class, in fact we're already seeing it. This means that some people formerly thought to be conservatives will be flushed out and discovered that their true allegiance is to the ruling class.

I hope the quote from Krauthammer is out of context, because I tend to really like the guy despite some of his recent comments regarding Delaware.
ArlJim78 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-20-2010, 02:57 PM   #6
bigmack

Here's the complete op/ed piece from CK back in '96:
http://community.seattletimes.nwsour...8&slug=2323082
bigmack is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-20-2010, 03:06 PM   #7
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlJim78
I think the general point of the thread is well taken, that we probably have no idea how uphill the battle will be. We've kicked around the concept that the country is divided up into the ruling class and the country class. As the country class starts to kick up its heels and toss out members of the ruling class from power, expect a giant blowback from the ruling class, in fact we're already seeing it. This means that some people formerly thought to be conservatives will be flushed out and discovered that their true allegiance is to the ruling class.

I hope the quote from Krauthammer is out of context, because I tend to really like the guy despite some of his recent comments regarding Delaware.
And here's another thing about Krauthammer's anti-O'Donnell stand that needs to be asked: Where has he been all these months during which the Tea Party Movement has gained all this momentum? Is he so out of touch with current realities that he can just dismiss them and what the TPM is all about? He not only slapped the Delaware voters in the face who voted for O'Donnell, but the entire TPM, as well! Doesn't he understand that more than a few people in this country don't like what they're seeing and want some real change? Doesn't he understand that there are numerous people out there suffering from buyers' remorse? How could he support an establishment RINO who would be opposed to everything for which the TPM stands? There's a huge disconnect here, and I'm having a problem wrapping my mind around it -- at least with someone who has always spouted conservative rhetoric.

Boxcar
Old 09-20-2010, 03:09 PM   #8
Black Ruby

looks to me like you need millions of enemas for those rank ranks!
Black Ruby is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-20-2010, 03:13 PM   #9
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmack
Here's the complete op/ed piece from CK back in '96:
http://community.seattletimes.nwsour...8&slug=2323082
Wow! That was a revealing article by what he said and didn't say!. Thanks for posting the link. Now I know precisely where I stand and where Mr. K stands as well. But...before I reveal my thoughts, Big Mack, what do you think about his stand on the 2nd Amendment, a/k/a "gun control"? Jim, same question to you.

Boxcar
Old 09-20-2010, 03:15 PM   #10
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Ruby
looks to me like you need millions of enemas for those rank ranks!
I need? It seems to me you're the one with "bloated" mind.

Boxcar
Old 09-20-2010, 03:22 PM   #11
ArlJim78

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar
And here's another thing about Krauthammer's anti-O'Donnell stand that needs to be asked: Where has he been all these months during which the Tea Party Movement has gained all this momentum? Is he so out of touch with current realities that he can just dismiss them and what the TPM is all about? He not only slapped the Delaware voters in the face who voted for O'Donnell, but the entire TPM, as well! Doesn't he understand that more than a few people in this country don't like what they're seeing and want some real change? Doesn't he understand that there are numerous people out there suffering from buyers' remorse? How could he support an establishment RINO who would be opposed to everything for which the TPM stands? There's a huge disconnect here, and I'm having a problem wrapping my mind around it -- at least with someone who has always spouted conservative rhetoric.

Boxcar
Oh I agree, its hard to reconcile all of his remarks. Charles does come off like an elitist. I can still recall being furious with him during the 2008 campaign because of how dismissive he was of Palin and how enamored he was with Obama. He was one of the beltway elite who swallowed the koolaid with regard to how super intelligent Bammy was supposed to be.
ArlJim78 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-20-2010, 03:26 PM   #12
bigmack

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar
what do you think about his stand on the 2nd Amendment, a/k/a "gun control"? Jim, same question to you.
With the exception of a little skeet shooting I'm not much of a 'gun guy'. That being said, CK was addressing the assault rifle legislation back in '96 though it appears he would like to see more gun control. The % seems awfully high in contrast to other countries. Murder rates appear to go hand in hand

I do like his line though: In the United States, 4 (!) percent of all robberies result in time served. Tell your stickup man, "You can go to jail for this," and he can correctly respond, "25-to-1 says I don't."

bigmack is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-20-2010, 03:26 PM   #13
46zilzal
velocitician

Yup Jethro no kin trust them thar edge-kated boys.....Get out the double barrel and we will git ready to take over!
Old 09-20-2010, 03:52 PM   #14
boxcar

Quote:
With the exception of a little skeet shooting I'm not much of a 'gun guy'. That being said, CK was addressing the assault rifle legislation back in '96 though it appears he would like to see more gun control. The % seems awfully high in contrast to other countries. Murder rates appear to go hand in hand

I do like his line though: In the United States, 4 (!) percent of all robberies result in time served. Tell your stickup man, "You can go to jail for this," and he can correctly respond, "25-to-1 says I don't."

I was really hoping more from you on the fundamentals to the 2nd Amendment.

As stated earlier, Mr. K revealed quite a bit about himself in that article by what he said and didn't say. Let me approach this with you another way. What was the fundamental reason behind the 2nd Amendment? Was its intent to control crime or to control a tyranny-prone government?

Boxcar
Old 09-20-2010, 04:03 PM   #15
highnote

Quote:
Sorry to go off topic with this, but can you check my math...

I think it's 24-1. Still pretty good odds for a bankrobber.
highnote is offline   Reply With Quote Reply