Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 08-13-2010, 04:02 PM   #1
JustRalph
Just another Facist

A little double standard in the news ?Coulter

http://www.anncoulter.com/

"LET'S PLAY 'SPOT THE DEMOCRAT'!
by Ann Coulter
August 11, 2010

In the greatest party-affiliation cover-up since the media tried to portray Gary Condit as a Republican, the media are refusing to mention the party affiliation of the thieving government officials in Bell, Calif.

There have been hundreds of news stories about Bell city officials' jaw-dropping salaries. In this poor city on the outskirts of Los Angeles, where the per capita annual income is $24,800 a year, the city manager, Robert Rizzo, had a salary of $787,637.

That's about twice what the president of the United States makes. (To be fair, Rizzo was doing a better job.)

Rizzo was the highest-paid government employee in the entire country, not counting Maxine Waters' husband -- pending further revelations. With benefits, his total annual compensation, according to the Los Angeles Times, came to $1.5 million a year.

Alerted to the Bell situation, the White House quickly added the Bell city manager to the list of jobs saved by its stimulus plan.

Not only that, but Rizzo was entitled to 28 weeks off a year for vacation and sick leave. To put that in perspective, that's almost as much vacation time as public school teachers get!

Reached in Spain, even Michelle Obama was outraged.

Much more at the link
JustRalph is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-13-2010, 04:07 PM   #2
Let's Roll

Ann's great articles come online every Wednesday night. I never miss them.
Let's Roll is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-13-2010, 05:58 PM   #3
TJDave

I have no sympathy for the residents of Bell. In 2005 Bell had an election to become a charter city. Four hundred out of a total population of over 35,000 decided it was important enough to cast a vote. The city is almost 80% Latino, half of which are foreign born. Bell is a sanctuary city. The policies which led to the exorbitant salaries were voted on in open meetings by fairly elected city officials. The only people the citizens of Bell have a right to criticize are themselves. F**k 'em.
TJDave is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-13-2010, 06:07 PM   #4
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJDave
I have no sympathy for the residents of Bell. In 2005 Bell had an election to become a charter city. Four hundred out of a total population of over 35,000 decided it was important enough to cast a vote. The city is almost 80% Latino, half of which are foreign born. Bell is a sanctuary city. The policies which led to the exorbitant salaries were voted on in open meetings by fairly elected city officials. The only people the citizens of Bell have a right to criticize are themselves. F**k 'em.
Excellent points Dave.
Old 08-13-2010, 08:47 PM   #5
cj's dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJDave
Excellent !!
Old 08-13-2010, 11:11 PM   #6
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Nothing bad enough can happen to a sanctuary city. Nothing.
Old 08-14-2010, 02:33 AM   #7
mostpost

According to what I read, Robert Rizzo took Bell from a shortfall of $22M to 15 years of surpluses and a current surplus of $20.7M. If true (I have my doubts) that would be worth what? $150-200K?
Old 08-14-2010, 02:41 AM   #8
bigmack

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostpost
According to what I read, Robert Rizzo took Bell from a shortfall of $22M to 15 years of surpluses and a current surplus of $20.7M. If true (I have my doubts) that would be worth what? $150-200K?
Did you read anything about property taxes being illegally taxed?

Quote:
On Friday, some Bell residents said they were angry about being overtaxed but that they found the controller's findings vindicating.

"As a resident and property owner I am very outraged," said Ali Saleh, co-founder of the Bell Assn. to Stop the Abuse. "This proves all the complaining we have done about the high taxes is true."

Bell resident Huitzil Arenas, 43, agreed, adding: "I'm very angry.... They stole money from the people."
http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...0,627656.story
bigmack is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-14-2010, 03:06 AM   #9
mostpost

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmack
Did you read anything about property taxes being illegally taxed?

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...0,627656.story
I did not. And I was not defending the salaries or the actions of the official. I merely said even if Rizzo did improve the finances of Bell, it would not justify anywhere near his $800K salary. Especially since he apparently did it with an illegal tax raise.
ETA: Will comment on the alleged fact they are all Democrats tomorrow.

Last edited by mostpost; 08-14-2010 at 03:08 AM.
mostpost is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-14-2010, 03:14 AM   #10
JustRalph
Just another Facist

28 weeks vacation .....too...........
Old 08-14-2010, 03:17 AM   #11
bigmack

Quote:
Will comment on the alleged fact they are all Democrats tomorrow.
There's only 5 and they're all D. How much time/research are you planning to put into this latest caper?
bigmack is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-14-2010, 07:35 AM   #12
boxcar

Quote:
Will comment on the alleged fact they are all Democrats tomorrow.
Yeah, you do that. Come back and tell us that they're all conservatives after you get your talking points from Politico or DU.

Boxcar
P.S. Without doubt libs have a huge Culture of Corruption problem, wouldn't you say? And you were the one who unabashedly said once that government institutions are basically honest -- only corrupt around the edges.

Last edited by boxcar; 08-14-2010 at 07:38 AM.
boxcar is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-14-2010, 08:12 AM   #13
woodtoo

Don't bother..... Please.

Quote:
I did not. And I was not defending the salaries or the actions of the official. I merely said even if Rizzo did improve the finances of Bell, it would not justify anywhere near his $800K salary. Especially since he apparently did it with an illegal tax raise.
ETA: Will comment on the alleged fact they are all Democrats tomorrow.
woodtoo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-14-2010, 10:00 AM   #14
DJofSD
Screw PC

I don't know about the media cover up. Maybe she just is watching too much boob tube but the LA Times has been covering that story from the beginning.

P.S. I believe this is one of the first articles, if not the first:
http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...,7352605.story

Many, many more follow.

Last edited by DJofSD; 08-14-2010 at 10:14 AM.
DJofSD is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-14-2010, 12:52 PM   #15
mostpost

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmack
There's only 5 and they're all D. How much time/research are you planning to put into this latest caper?
Not much at all. Party does not determine corruption. Opportunity does. In Chicago all the crooks are democrats. Why? There are no Republicans. Out in the collar counties all the crooks are Republicans. Why? Not many democrats.

My big question is where did Coulter get her info. She references the OC Register, but I did not find anything. I found a blog in which a guy said they must be democrats because the town of Bell is in a Democratic congressional district and two of the trustees endorsed a democrat for congressman.
In a small town like Bell the officials may personally be Democrat or Republican but they don't run as such. Endorsements are pragmatic. If you are depending on a representative for grants and funding, you endorse the candidate who is going to win.