Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 08-03-2003, 05:18 PM   #1
Kentucky Bred

Seems strange to me

Maybe it is me. If so, please forgive. But I cannot remember ever seeing two graded stakes races carded for the same day at virtually the same time for just 3 year olds ONLY at the exact same distance! And both races are being run roughly in the same part of the country.

What is going on? Did either Saratoga or Monmouth Parks forget to pay the phone bill? Couldn't one track call the other to check the dates? Do the Haskell and the Jim Dandy Stakes usually go on the same day? The Haskell at Monmouth is for 3 YO's Only at 1 1/8th miles on the dirt. The Jim Dandy at Saratoga is for 3 YO's Only at 1 1/8th miles on the dirt. They are 1/2 hour apart. Last year the Haskell was ran on August 8th. I don't know when the Jim Dandy was run?

Is this a TV thing for ESPN? The problem is that it splits the rematch between Funny Cide and Empire Maker. Shouldn't that be what the brainiacs running racing want...a rematch? Doesn't rematches bring publicity? Force them to run together or sit out the race and listen to the catcalls that you are ducking the race.

If this happens every year like this than I stand corrected. I have just never noticed it before. But if it happens every year, than it is still stupid.

Hey marketing gurus. Dig deep into the petty cash drawer and watch the Seabiscuit movie again. Notice how the fans get excited at the rivalry.
Kentucky Bred
Kentucky Bred is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-03-2003, 05:57 PM   #2
Kentucky Bred

Of course...

...this gave Frankel a chance to win BOTH races and take ALL the money. Instead he won one and second in the other. Tough day.

Ps. Visionally speaking Peace Rules was impressive beyond measure. And Prado was masterful staying off the rail. PR best 3 YO in the country right now.

KB
Kentucky Bred is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-03-2003, 09:17 PM   #3
Maxspa

Peace Rules!

Peace Rules won with something left. However, everything went his way! He had no pressure in any part of the race, the fractions were moderate, the other anticipated speed horse stumbled coming out of the gate and Funny Cide ran a very poor race.
Maxspa
Maxspa is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-03-2003, 09:48 PM   #4
Storm Cadet

I liked it...

I personally liked all 4 of the races this weekend...

Amsterdam then the Whitney on Saturday, then both races today...I thought it was great and it adds more drama to the Travers later this month!

No we've got EM, PR, FC and Sky Mesa and probably more now that EM and FC both got beat! It allowed more horses the opprtunity to draw in for the Travers.

Too bad Zavata can't go the distance of the Travers...
Storm Cadet is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-04-2003, 12:58 AM   #5
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Re: I liked it...

Quote:
Originally posted by Storm Cadet
No we've got EM, PR, FC and Sky Mesa and probably more now that EM and FC both got beat! It allowed more horses the opprtunity to draw in for the Travers.
Watched the race with Peace Rules and Sky Mesa on Tape over and over. Sky Mesa made a very nice ending move in that race. Another 1/16th and he beats Peace Rules. If he can come back to that form he looks pretty good.
Old 08-04-2003, 03:43 AM   #6
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Peace Rules ran the way a horse should going 9f at Monmouth. Funny Cide was doomed from the beginning when Santos took back after getting in a bit tight. Funny Cide should have been pressing the whole way....he wanted to go, but circumstances and Santos wouldn't let him go....

And Empire Maker....still not impressed. He was floundering in the stretch, and only a tiring Strong Hope, who was reaching his distance limitations, made him look slightly better at the very end.
PaceAdvantage is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-04-2003, 01:00 PM   #7
Observer
Support Res-Q Foundations

Re: Seems strange to me

Quote:
Originally posted by Kentucky Bred
Maybe it is me. If so, please forgive. But I cannot remember ever seeing two graded stakes races carded for the same day at virtually the same time for just 3 year olds ONLY at the exact same distance! And both races are being run roughly in the same part of the country.
I don't think it was such a bad thing .. it certainly builds hype for the Travers .. which should be the premier event for 3yos in the summer .. as it is known as the Mid-Summer Derby. I think the main thing is that at least both horses were out there on the same day .. which I'm sure added to the drama.

A couple of things to keep in mind about the two races .. the Haskell is an Invitational .. which means no entry fees for the connections .. in addition, it carries a $1,000,000 purse. Also, Monmouth pays out a $25,000 "bonus" (appearance fee) to the owner and to the trainer for each Triple Crown event won .. so in the case of Funny Cide, his owners received a $50,000 bonus ($25k for Derby win + $25k for Preakness win) and Barclay Tagg received a $50,000 bonus.

The Jim Dandy is not an Invitational, it carries a purse of $500,000, and there are no bonuses paid out. It is also the lead-in race at the Saratoga meet to the Travers, which does carry a $1 million purse .. still not an Invitational, though .. and no bonuses there either.

I believe I heard somewhere that Frankel wanted to keep Empire Maker home (Saratoga) rather than ship. The connections of Funny Cide, seemed to like the $1-million purse on the Haskell .. heck, who wouldn't?? Add to that, no nomination fees .. that's a nice savings for them as well.

As for the actual races .. thought Bailey underestimated Strong Hope .. this is a wonderful horse with good speed, and the ability to carry it right down to the wire .. and, for those who thought he was caving in .. who cares?? He still reached the wire first, and that's what counts. He spurted at the top of the lane when it appeared Bailey may have been thinking the horse was going to come back to him. I was surprised that instead of Empire Maker moving up steadily down the backstretch, he was allowed to make one big run on the turn, then appeared to level off turning into the lane before rolling again late .. too late. I think the connections of Empire Maker need to stop underestimating their competition.

As for the Haskell .. I have been and still am a fan of Peace Rules. Say all you want about track biases .. he has proven to be a nice horse .. the Preakness was an off day .. throw that out, and he's had a nice season.

I was disappointed with Funny Cide's race .. but not shocked. He did not get the best of trips .. getting in trouble pretty much right out of the gate and never really reaching contention.

But that's just one gal's opinions.
Old 08-04-2003, 01:01 PM   #8
Observer
Support Res-Q Foundations

Quote:
Originally posted by PaceAdvantage
... Strong Hope, who was reaching his distance limitations ...
That's what people were thinking in the Dwyer when Nacheezmo nearly ran him down. Speed is a dangerous thing in this game .. especially when you couple that with courage ... which this horse has.