Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 06-10-2010, 03:44 PM   #1
OTM Al
intus habes, quem poscis

Ascot

The Royal meet looks tremendous this year. First day's card is coming up especialy strong and opens up with the 1m Queen Anne featuring Goldikova, Paco Boy and Rip Van Winkle. I know we have a few people here who play the races over there so wouldn't mind a bit of discussion over the 5 days coming up next week. Know I'm tuning in and hopefully cashing a few.
OTM Al is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-10-2010, 04:21 PM   #2
horses4courses

Wesley Ward

Anyone know if Wesley Ward is shipping any to Ascot this year?

His winners last year were at nice odds......
chance of returning to the WH, assuming that
he can manage to stay out of prison. Think about it.

Last edited by horses4courses; 06-10-2010 at 04:36 PM.
horses4courses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-10-2010, 04:24 PM   #3
OTM Al
intus habes, quem poscis

Quote:
Originally Posted by horses4courses
Anyone know if Wesley Ward is shipping any to Ascot this year?

His winners last year were nice at nice odds......
He only is taking 1 but McPeek is taking 3 and Kinsale King is running too

http://www.drf.com/news/article/113722.html

Last edited by OTM Al; 06-10-2010 at 04:25 PM.
Old 06-10-2010, 04:29 PM   #4
lamboguy

wesley ward is everywhere!
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-10-2010, 04:41 PM   #5
horses4courses

Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTM Al
He only is taking 1 but McPeek is taking 3 and Kinsale King is running too

http://www.drf.com/news/article/113722.html
Thanks.
The article says Kinsale King has the best chances of a US win.
I hope their bookmakers see it that way, too.
I truly believe US juveniles have a distinct seasoning edge this early in the year.
chance of returning to the WH, assuming that
he can manage to stay out of prison. Think about it.
horses4courses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-10-2010, 04:46 PM   #6
OTM Al
intus habes, quem poscis

Quote:
Originally Posted by horses4courses
Thanks.
The article says Kinsale King has the best chances of a US win.
I hope their bookmakers see it that way, too.
I truly believe US juveniles have a distinct seasoning edge this early in the year.
It's not just that but more the training techniques. The Euros simply do not break like the Americans. They are much slower into stride giving a big advantage right of the bat to the American 2yo. One of the most important things in winning a 2yo race is getting out front because the young horses still fully don't know what they are doing and sometimes it turns into a game of follow the leader, just like they played with the other foals in the paddock.
Old 06-10-2010, 11:04 PM   #7
TejanoRun

Ward

Ward's only got one runner at Ascot this year. Were his horses tested last year by the British Horseracing Authority, or did he get away with signing the declaration that said his horses didn't have any steroids, substances, etc because he comes from outside Great Britain?

I find it laughable that Ward was suspended in Florida for drug positives last year while his horses were running (and winning) at Ascot. And it is even more laughably ridiculous that I couldn't find any media who had reported the suspension of the "brilliant" American trainer.
Old 06-11-2010, 12:36 AM   #8
Market Mover

Quote:
Originally Posted by TejanoRun
Ward's only got one runner at Ascot this year. Were his horses tested last year by the British Horseracing Authority, or did he get away with signing the declaration that said his horses didn't have any steroids, substances, etc because he comes from outside Great Britain?

I find it laughable that Ward was suspended in Florida for drug positives last year while his horses were running (and winning) at Ascot. And it is even more laughably ridiculous that I couldn't find any media who had reported the suspension of the "brilliant" American trainer.

Ward just teaches them to pop and not stop. He succeeds in these short races bc he trains them like quarter horses. He loves that 4.5 fur chute at Kee. And he loves the 5f sprints on turf. Does anybody have Ward stats for races longer than a mile?

He's smart enough to know he can train them fast, and inject enough pace to keep them competitive early. Nothing brilliant other than recognizing what his stock can do and placing them accordingly...
Market Mover is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-11-2010, 12:37 AM   #9
Market Mover

Quote:
The Royal meet looks tremendous this year. First day's card is coming up especialy strong and opens up with the 1m Queen Anne featuring Goldikova, Paco Boy and Rip Van Winkle. I know we have a few people here who play the races over there so wouldn't mind a bit of discussion over the 5 days coming up next week. Know I'm tuning in and hopefully cashing a few.

Paco Boy looks like the real deal. A big question on Rip, as he was all the hype and no play in last year's BC Classic. I thought he was in a bit over his head, but didn't expect to see him trounced that much.

This is one spot to go against Goldikova. We all know she can run at SA. But Ascot is a very different track, and she seemed to have to work a bit extra in her last.

Paco Boy could be the one. What odds would be fair?
Market Mover is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-11-2010, 09:16 AM   #10
OTM Al
intus habes, quem poscis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Market Mover
Paco Boy looks like the real deal. A big question on Rip, as he was all the hype and no play in last year's BC Classic. I thought he was in a bit over his head, but didn't expect to see him trounced that much.

This is one spot to go against Goldikova. We all know she can run at SA. But Ascot is a very different track, and she seemed to have to work a bit extra in her last.

Paco Boy could be the one. What odds would be fair?
Hard to say before the final entries are made and we see the draw. Not remembering off the top of my head about Ascot right now, but there is usually a better side of the track in these straight races and a horse can be disadvantaged by drawing on the wrong side of the gate. This is of course assuming that many do not drop out for the final entry from the 5-day.

All that said, Paco Boy is a solid miler and don't diminish Rip by what he did over here. He may be best at a mile anyway. I still think she is better than both, but this is not a weak field by any means. Zacinto is better than his last and Ouqba wasn't thath far back of Paco Boy in their last and may be the price play here.
Old 06-11-2010, 09:48 AM   #11
classhandicapper

Quote:
Now I need some PPs (anything similar to what the DRF provides for foreign horses).
Old 06-11-2010, 10:09 AM   #12
gm10

I think Paco Boy still has to confirm he can beat the top guns. Plus, it's only recently that he has been accepted as a true miler.
Rip will probably come on for the run, but even then he is a formidable force. It has to be Goldikova for me. She is a truly exceptional animal.
gm10 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-11-2010, 10:13 AM   #13
JBmadera

great site for Royal Ascot (and all UK, Ire, etc racing):

http://www.attheraces.com/index.aspx
JBmadera is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-11-2010, 10:31 AM   #14
OTM Al
intus habes, quem poscis

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper
Now I need some PPs (anything similar to what the DRF provides for foreign horses).
Do you have Twin Spires account? They have free (as long as you play at least one race on the card) BRIS PPs. They are ok, though I find the At The Races site at least as useful if not more so as you can drill down through the PPs and watch the replays for some of the races (the rest are on RacingUK)
Old 06-12-2010, 08:31 PM   #15
classhandicapper

Quote:
Do you have Twin Spires account? They have free (as long as you play at least one race on the card) BRIS PPs. They are ok, though I find the At The Races site at least as useful if not more so as you can drill down through the PPs and watch the replays for some of the races (the rest are on RacingUK)
I bookmarked the At The Races site and will check it out soon.

I may also open a Twin Spires account.

Thanks