Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Contests + Other Interesting Racing Topics > Harness Racing

Old 04-19-2010, 08:29 PM   #1
only11
Veteran

Niatross vs Somebeachsomewhere..

I was watching some you tube videos of Niatross and Somebeachsomewhere...Tough call which horse was the better pacer...

IMO Niatross ran against better horses in his era...my vote

NIATROSS!!
only11 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-19-2010, 08:47 PM   #2
sonnyp

niatross was driven by clint galbraith. although competent, he wasn't in the same class as those driving somebeachsomewhere.

what niatross accomplished, was strictly on his own ability.

did you happen to see this performance :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpUSssOlKEg
sonnyp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-19-2010, 08:53 PM   #3
LottaKash

Different period in time, but I will say this, "Niatross" in "all 37" of his victories, was never once, involved in a "Photo-Finish"....

He was something to watch, and he turned out to be darned good "Daddy" too...

Today they racem a few times, then they retire them....A different story then and now....Niatross was as tough as nails, imo....The crowds always came out for him, and cheered his victories.....It was a good time for Harness-Racing...I miss it...

best,
Old 04-19-2010, 08:57 PM   #4
only11
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LottaKash
Different period in time, but I will say this, "Niatross" in "all 37" of his victories, was never once, involved in a "Photo-Finish"....

Today they racem a few times, then they retire them....A different story then and now....Niatross was as tough as nails, imo....The crowds always came out for him, and cheered his victories.....It was a good time for Harness-Racing...I miss it...

best,
Somebeachsomewhere was filthy ....Nihilator..Niatross 's best
only11 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-19-2010, 10:58 PM   #5
Hanover1

Quote:

best,
I was around the curcuit at that time.....he was a freak, and Clint is/was a good friend of mine, and a darn good horseman, just an average pilot however, much like myself, probably better...lol
Hanover1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-19-2010, 11:39 PM   #6
LottaKash

There have been some pretty good ones to come down the line during my time in harness racing, and it is hard to say who may have been the best of the best...

But, there are two that will always stick out in my mind the most...

Bret Hanover, was the start of the modern day champion-warhorse club...He was King in the mid-60's and he managed to win 24 straight....In fact, my son "Bret" was named after him....(He still, after all these years, likes his name despite being named after a racehorse)

But, my favorite of "all-time" was "Cam Fella"...He was a nothing as a 2yo, but after that, the "Pacing Machine" went on to win 61 of his 80 races, including his last 28 straight before retiring to stud.!!!......As hard a hitting horse as there ever will be, and, all that vs. the best that North America had to offfer at the time...He wasn't the fastest of them all, but imo, he was the toughest one of all...

He used to regularly fall asleep in the paddock barn, right before his races.....And, he sired lots of winners as well...

best,
Old 04-20-2010, 01:05 AM   #7
Hanover1

Quote:
There have been some pretty good ones to come down the line during my time in harness racing, and it is hard to say who may have been the best of the best...

But, there are two that will always stick out in my mind the most...

Bret Hanover, was the start of the modern day champion-warhorse club...He was King in the mid-60's and he managed to win 24 straight....In fact, my son "Bret" was named after him....(He still, after all these years, likes his name despite being named after a racehorse)

But, my favorite of "all-time" was "Cam Fella"...He was a nothing as a 2yo, but after that, the "Pacing Machine" went on to win 61 of his 80 races, including his last 28 straight before retiring to stud.!!!......As hard a hitting horse as there ever will be, and, all that vs. the best that North America had to offfer at the time...He wasn't the fastest of them all, but imo, he was the toughest one of all...

He used to regularly fall asleep in the paddock barn, right before his races.....And, he sired lots of winners as well...

best,
I go with you on Bret, however I heard to much innuendo in regards to Cam Fella to call him great, but you cannot argue with the numbers. I cannot substantiate anything I may have heard, so please do not ask for details. Just my opinion is all.......
Old 04-20-2010, 04:10 PM   #8
sonnyp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanover1
I go with you on Bret, however I heard to much innuendo in regards to Cam Fella to call him great, but you cannot argue with the numbers. I cannot substantiate anything I may have heard, so please do not ask for details. Just my opinion is all.......

here's a cam fella story. i was in the meadowlands paddock with a horse in an early race on a night cam fella was racing later in the card.

just happened to be near cam fella when his groom took him off the cross ties to put his bridle on to go out and warm up. this horse put his head down and started to cough and sneeze. the crap that flew out of him was unbelievable.

surely, i thought he'd be scratched. later, i was up in the grandstand and to my amazement, here he comes in the post parade at 3/5. i would have robbed a bank to bet against him after what i had seen with my own eyes.

well, as you might guess, pat crowe hauls him out first over and he whistles making 3/5 look like stealing.

i will never forget that performance which impressed upon me that great horses do great things. that's what seperates them from the rest.
Old 04-20-2010, 05:42 PM   #9
Hanover1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnyp
here's a cam fella story. i was in the meadowlands paddock with a horse in an early race on a night cam fella was racing later in the card.

just happened to be near cam fella when his groom took him off the cross ties to put his bridle on to go out and warm up. this horse put his head down and started to cough and sneeze. the crap that flew out of him was unbelievable.

surely, i thought he'd be scratched. later, i was up in the grandstand and to my amazement, here he comes in the post parade at 3/5. i would have robbed a bank to bet against him after what i had seen with my own eyes.

well, as you might guess, pat crowe hauls him out first over and he whistles making 3/5 look like stealing.

i will never forget that performance which impressed upon me that great horses do great things. that's what seperates them from the rest.
Could the coughing and crap coming out of him have been a result of a tubing? Im just sayin........
Old 04-20-2010, 06:54 PM   #10
sonnyp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanover1
Could the coughing and crap coming out of him have been a result of a tubing? Im just sayin........

listen to me......i know the difference between mucus and snot....and a milk shake.

and if you knew anything about a horse you'd know one of the biggest problems a horse has, anatomically, is their inability to regurgitate (puke). thats why they get their guts twisted.

thanks for the suggestion
Old 04-21-2010, 11:45 AM   #11
am1947

LK
I believe that was 35 straight for Bret Hanover !
AM
am1947 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-21-2010, 12:50 PM   #12
LottaKash

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1947
LK
I believe that was 35 straight for Bret Hanover !
AM
Wow AM, are you sure ?...Hey Don, where is "Wilderness" Don when you need him ?

best,
Old 04-21-2010, 01:21 PM   #13
wilderness

Quote:
Wow AM, are you sure ?...Hey Don, where is "Wilderness" Don when you need him ?

best,
from BIG BUM: The Story of Bret Hanover, page 111:

Adios Vic roars to the from to end Bret's all-time winning streak at 35 straight. Bret came back to win the second heat (and the the race), but unbeaten skein was broken. Big Springfield crowd is not shown.
Old 04-21-2010, 01:31 PM   #14
wilderness

Bret Hanover's Racing Record
Year Sts Wins 2nd 3rd Earnings
1964 24 24 0 0 $173,298
1965 24 21 3 0 341,784
1966 20 17 2 1 407,534
Tot 68 62 5 1 $922,616
Old 04-21-2010, 01:42 PM   #15
wilderness

BTW, a nice trivia would be to determine the names of the six winners that beat Bret Hanover?

I'm not going to research or provide the answer, however I'll provide three winners (maybe).

Adios Vic twice.
True Duane.

Anybody know the other three? or four (if I'm incorrect on Adios Vic twice)?