Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 03-13-2010, 10:07 PM   #1
Skanoochies

Mike Smith, did anybody else notice....

When Zenyatta pulled up after the race, Mike was leaning over and taking a good look at her left front leg. I thought maybe she got cut or something. Isure hope not.
Old 03-13-2010, 10:14 PM   #2
Relwob Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skanoochies
When Zenyatta pulled up after the race, Mike was leaning over and taking a good look at her left front leg. I thought maybe she got cut or something. Isure hope not.

I think he was staring at it, amazed how that leg helped her win again in spite of his efforts.....
Relwob Owner is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-13-2010, 10:31 PM   #3
lamboguy

mike smith has done a superb job riding ZENYTTA. he rode a great race today as usual, and she will get better from her race. she will need to get alot better to beat rachel in arkansas though.
lamboguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-13-2010, 10:42 PM   #4
Relwob Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy
mike smith has done a superb job riding ZENYTTA. he rode a great race today as usual, and she will get better from her race. she will need to get alot better to beat rachel in arkansas though.

Couldnt disagree more....he had 10 lengths the best horse today and tried really hard to get her beat....he even admitted himself he almost got her beat last year....he is a total liability IMO
Relwob Owner is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-13-2010, 11:06 PM   #5
johnhannibalsmith

With regard to the original post - yeah, I wondered if she may have gotten her wheels a little tangled up with that dive towards the fence.

-Robert James Smith, 1989
johnhannibalsmith is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-13-2010, 11:12 PM   #6
jldonah

3:44 on calracing replay

Just seemed to last a few seconds, after the runout and after Smith made his genuflection. I looked especially at the quick inside pass she made when blocked in the stretch and it didn't seem as precipitous as it looked when the race was live--very athletic mare. I'll also note her ears were up and she looked assertive and in control (not under stress) at the wire, so let's hope there was no substantial injury--or none at all.
jldonah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-13-2010, 11:18 PM   #7
Saratoga_Mike
Veteran

Quote:
No, he really didn't, but it didn't matter.
Saratoga_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-14-2010, 04:10 AM   #8
Stillriledup
Veteran

I'd love to see an elite rider on Z. Ya know, the best. The guy who makes the most speed. Mikey Smith is good, but he's not great anymore. Mikey makes it interesting. If Z gets beat, its going to be rider error that does it most likely.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-14-2010, 08:25 AM   #9
Pace Cap'n

Mike Smith had one of the all-time great post-race comments:

"Chantal moved over and I just followed her through the hole..."

Like, who wouldn't?
Pace Cap'n is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-14-2010, 10:00 AM   #10
lamboguy

mike smith had the confidence to shoot to the inside and knew if she was going to do the sweep the field deal on the outside, she would have come up short. sure the ride didn't look pretty, but she got it done. she is one great racehorse who seems to get better with every race, and she is smart.
Old 03-14-2010, 10:07 AM   #11
lamboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relwob Owner
Couldnt disagree more....he had 10 lengths the best horse today and tried really hard to get her beat....he even admitted himself he almost got her beat last year....he is a total liability IMO
first of all you alway's find a way to disagree with me, or find fault in what i say. that's ok, it don't bother me because i know that all i am is a human being no better than anyone else.

as far as being "ten lenghs better", last i saw the game of horseracing doesn't pay one penny more if you win by an inch or 10 yards. on top of that ZENYATTA has only won one of her 15 by more than 2 lengths, the apple blossom where she won by 5. you are dealing with a horses that doesn't want to win by large margins. when mike smith rides this horse, he is basically a passenger and occasionally has to steer her. yesterday he steered her to victory. again not pretty, because of the circumstances, but still a big win.
Old 03-14-2010, 11:36 AM   #12
Rookies
Canadian since 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pace Cap'n
Mike Smith had one of the all-time great post-race comments:

"Chantal moved over and I just followed her through the hole..."

Like, who wouldn't?
Except, HE gapped HER... doofus...
Rookies is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-14-2010, 12:11 PM   #13
Marshall Bennett

Quote:
mike smith had the confidence to shoot to the inside and knew if she was going to do the sweep the field deal on the outside, she would have come up short. sure the ride didn't look pretty, but she got it done. she is one great racehorse who seems to get better with every race, and she is smart.
I'm often critical of Mike and his riding habits . His move inside was out of character for him . I was impressed .
Marshall Bennett is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-14-2010, 12:28 PM   #14
Greyfox

Inquiry??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relwob Owner
I agree. I'm not sure what Smith was doing coming down the stretch, but I can
assure you had that not been Zenyatta that he was on there would have been an inquiry. I don't know if he'd be taken down, but something funny happened.
Greyfox is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-14-2010, 12:45 PM   #15
46zilzal
velocitician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall Bennett
I'm often critical of Mike and his riding habits . His move inside was out of character for him . I was impressed .
classic for the come from behinder................you take what you get.