Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Horseplayers Association of North America (H.A.N.A.)

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 02-04-2010, 01:40 PM   #1
DeanT

Arizona ADW Update

Thursday, February 4, 2010

HANA/Arizona Stakeholder Meetings - Is Online Wagering For Arizona Horseplayers a Step Closer to Reality?

On September 19th 2007, Arizona House Bill 2694 became state law. This bill "made any individual outside of a licensed racetrack or off-track betting facility that accepts a wager or bets on the results of a race is guilty of a class six felony, which can bring imprisonment." Immediately, ADW's like Youbet pulled out of Arizona, and horseplayers could no longer enjoy the sport of horse racing over the internet. Arizona racing fans were understandably upset, and they spoke with their dollars.

Two and a half years later, we are happy to report this might be changing.

On Monday January 25, 2010 the Arizona Department of Racing held a meeting termed an Internal Industry Discussion Forum. Present at this meeting were representatives from Yavapai Downs, Turf Paradise, The Arizona HBPA, The Arizona Racing Commission, The Arizona Department of Racing, The Arizona Attorney General's Office, and several members of the Horseplayers Association of North America, led by President Jeff Platt. HANA had first met with Arizona stakeholders in August of 2009 to present the idea of agency wagering as an alternative to the present lockout, and this was our third such meeting.

The meeting was held at the request of Yavapai Downs General Manager Gary Spiker and Director of Racing Greg "Boomer" Wry. The purpose of the meeting was to allow representatives from Yavapai Downs to present a proposal to the Department for Agency Wagering and to allow for questions and comments from various interested parties among Arizona's Racing Industry.

Agency Wagering is very similar to Account Deposit Wagering - the key difference being that under the proposal Yavapai Downs would be acting as the agent as opposed to an outside vendor. If adopted, the proposal would allow Arizona's tracks and horsemen to operate their own ADW and retain a revenue share similar to what they retain when wagers are made at a track or otb. Players who are currently shut out because of Arizona's ADW Law would have a way to wager on races over the internet.

more here.

Last edited by BillW-mod; 02-04-2010 at 07:15 PM. Reason: At Request of the posting author
DeanT is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-04-2010, 02:12 PM   #2
johnhannibalsmith

Excellent write-up Dean! Anyone that glanced at the "teaser" should read the entire link, particularly the distinction that Turf Paradise is rather unsupportive of this endeavour. I, for one, appreciate the disassociation of Yavapai from Turf Paradise, as opposed to the traditional lumping of the two tracks together as though their goals and objectives were identical.

I must thank Jeff Platt for driving clear to downtown Phoenix to represent the customers. He did a fantastic job and he was heard by horsemen that were in attendance. In an unrelated meeting, one attendee referenced Jeff specifically, recognizing him as the 'face' of a customer - a monumental moment of awareness from my seat.

I can't possibly neglect to acknowledge the amazing effort by Chip to attend the meeting, driving hours in the midst of a chaotic day to lend his perspective in support of both the venture and the horseplayers. No kidding - the Commission meeting was in a virtual pause waiting for his arrival - so his words were given tremendous weight and like Jeff, Chip's sentiments were echoed in subsequent meetings by horsemen that were enlightened by the presence of a customer.

Of course - kudos to Boomer - someone lost their mind and put him in charge of things and in a matter of a few months, he's managed to completely reverse the course of Yavapai and head it in distinctly the right direction. I can say this with all sincerety - I don't toe any company lines or say things to protect my stake in anything - I speak honestly -- I would much rather be training horses, hustling book, or something other than what I am doing -- but I am so utterly proud of Boomer's efforts on a number of fronts to take our meager little track and at least try to be the shining example in the State of how to manage and operate a race track -- that I feel compelled to remain aboard the ship and help out, lending my support vocally in the company of those that know me well, and are distinctly aware of my penchant for blunt, honest opinion.

I was thrilled to see that Dean took the time to pen such a wonderful entry in his blog and while I recognize that Yavapai will never be to players what Saratoga is - my hope is that at least they can also discern it clearly from tracks like Turf Paradise and recognize that there is a distinct effort being advanced on their behalf and ultimately, to the benefit of the larger industry in the State.

Thanks again!

-Robert James Smith, 1989
johnhannibalsmith is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-04-2010, 04:01 PM   #3
rrbauer
Both-hands Bettor

Turf Paradise was the moving force behind the "bet a horse (or dog) and go to jail" legislation. They deserve nothing but scorn and disrespect from horseplayers everywhere because their behavior has earned it. Applause, applause for the folks from HANA and Yavapai who are trying to turn a pig's ear into a silk purse (did I get that right?).
Old 02-05-2010, 03:06 PM   #4
DeanT

Whoops, forgot to mention - Jeff penned that prose (you can tell it was not me, no spelling mistakes )

Thanks for everything as well Johnhannibal. Really cool to see horsepeople like yourself engaging your customer!
Old 02-05-2010, 06:19 PM   #5
Ian Meyers

This is all good. Kudos to Jeff, Boomer and members of the AZ HBPA for pushing this along. Hopefully this will all come to pass before Yavapai opens again.
Old 02-05-2010, 09:13 PM   #6
bob77713

Any Arizona Horseplayers care to comment?
bob77713 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-06-2010, 09:33 AM   #7
boomman

Thumbs up Our meeting with the Arizona Horse Racing Industry

I must thank Jeff Platt for driving clear to downtown Phoenix to represent the customers. He did a fantastic job and he was heard by horsemen that were in attendance. In an unrelated meeting, one attendee referenced Jeff specifically, recognizing him as the 'face' of a customer - a monumental moment of awareness from my seat.

I can't possibly neglect to acknowledge the amazing effort by Chip to attend the meeting, driving hours in the midst of a chaotic day to lend his perspective in support of both the venture and the horseplayers. No kidding - the Commission meeting was in a virtual pause waiting for his arrival - so his words were given tremendous weight and like Jeff, Chip's sentiments were echoed in subsequent meetings by horsemen that were enlightened by the presence of a customer.

I would like to echo John's sentiments of how important H.A.N.A.'s representation was at this meeting, and thank EVERYONE in the industry that attended, as we certainly were able to (mostly) show a unified front. Jeff Platt and fellow HANA member and attorney Leo "Chip" Plowman made strong presentations at the meeting and we thank them for their participation and encourage H.A.N.A. members to let them know their appreciation for Jeff and Chip's ongoing efforts on the organization's behalf...........

Boomer

Old 04-19-2010, 05:20 PM   #8
DeanT

Monday, April 19, 2010

Internet Gambling in Arizona Heats Up

From the Prescott Daily Courier.

Online gambling on horse races has a special exception from the federal law through the Interstate Horseracing Act, but many states outlaw it.

Arizona is the only state that allows horse racing but not online betting on it, said Boomer Wry, Yavapai Downs racing director. And it's the only state in which online horse wagering is a felony, said Jeff Platt, president of the non-profit Horseplayers Association of North America (HANA).

Now simultaneous efforts at the federal and state level seek to legalize both those forms of Internet gambling. Supporters at both levels say the federal and state laws against these forms of Internet gambling are vague anyway.

More at link. For a background on what we've been working on in Arizona, please click here.
Old 04-19-2010, 05:34 PM   #9
rwwupl

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomman

I would like to echo John's sentiments of how important H.A.N.A.'s representation was at this meeting, and thank EVERYONE in the industry that attended, as we certainly were able to (mostly) show a unified front. Jeff Platt and fellow HANA member and attorney Leo "Chip" Plowman made strong presentations at the meeting and we thank them for their participation and encourage H.A.N.A. members to let them know their appreciation for Jeff and Chip's ongoing efforts on the organization's behalf...........

Boomer

Boomer,

Ditto, and we are all impressed with your efforts BOOMER. This forward movement would not be possible without you.

rwwupl
rwwupl is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-19-2010, 05:38 PM   #10
Cardus
Veteran

Great work, guys.

As someone who was at Yavapai Downs on HANA day last August, I realized first-hand how much work Jeff had ahead of him.

Keep pushing.
Cardus is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-19-2010, 09:08 PM   #11
PhillyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanT
Monday, April 19, 2010

Online gambling on horse races has a special exception from the federal law through the Interstate Horseracing Act, but many states outlaw it.

doesn't federal law supersede state law

does the federal law give states power to regulate online bets on horse races
PhillyFan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-20-2010, 10:54 AM   #12
bob77713

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanT
Yavapai Downs officials met this year with state officials and other stakeholders including Platt about their desire to run online track betting in Arizona. They wanted to find out if their proposal truly violates a 2007 law that requires wagers only "within the racing enclosure."

Subsequently, the Arizona Attorney General's Office concluded that was illegal, related Spiker and Wry. The AG's office spokesperson could not confirm that conclusion this past week.
What did the AG's office conclude was illegal, the proposal or the 2007 law?

Thanks.
bob77713 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-20-2010, 11:09 AM   #13
DeanT

Hi Bob,

As I understand it - the proposal. But Boomer or someone else can chime in.

Philly,

I believe that this is a special state statute. Therein lies the problem.

D
Old 04-21-2010, 01:36 AM   #14
cuzimahustler

There gona need ADW revenue now that all the Illegals are going to leave arizona. Wonder if ontrack handle will dip.
cuzimahustler is offline   Reply With Quote Reply