Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 01-29-2010, 09:05 AM   #1
FenceBored

Jerry Moss, the REAL whine-maker

Jerry Moss likes to say that Zenyatta was beaten by proxy. But, this is not true. Zenyatta lost HOY due to the unimaginative, and ultimately weak campaign, arranged by ... whom?

I bring this up again because of a column by Dan Lieberman at the Bloodhorse, Breeders' Cup not a World Championship, which highlights one of Mr. Moss's mistakes, namely believing the hype that the BC is "like the Super Bowl" of horseracing. It's not.
You cannot compare Thoroughbred racing to other sports. In baseball, football, basketball, etc., the league office determines the schedule. It tells teams when to play, and where. Teams can’t decide to skip a game or pass the playoffs. In racing, the owner and trainer decide a horse’s schedule.
-- http://cs.bloodhorse.com/blogs/wgoh/archive/2010/01/27/breeders-cup-not-a-world-championship.aspx
This is one of the strengths of horseracing, one that demonstrates its continuing existence as a true athletic competition (with associated mental competition from the spectators via paramutuel wagering), the myriad of separate owners each striving with their horses to accomplish the goals they have created for themselves, not just following the whims of some Prince of Paddock, some Raj of Racing, some Hegemon of Horses. In contrast, those 'organized' sports such as baseball, basketball, and hockey which also have lengthy seasons, but which have a defined playoff and championship structure, risk apathy amongst their fan base for the majority of the regular season. How many people do you know who say they only begin to pay attention to the NBA when the playoffs start, or ignore baseball until late August at the earliest? Racing, by having major races such as the Donn on Feb. 6th, scattered throughout the year, offers the public a constantly renewing set of contests with real value toward determining the year end championships.

This is the lesson Mr. Moss forgot, that hiding out in the corner of the sport defeating lesser grade opponents, the 'has beens' and the 'never weres', cannot be offset by just one single attempt at a challenging race, regardless of the hype which surrounds it. Scoring two touchdowns in the last minute of the game is great, but it doesn't change the outcome when you are down by 30 points.

Last edited by FenceBored; 01-29-2010 at 09:06 AM.
FenceBored is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-29-2010, 09:19 AM   #2
DJofSD
Screw PC

Football, et al, do not have a win (one) and you're in the big dance format either.
Old 01-29-2010, 10:00 AM   #3
Dan H

Rachel is a Horse of the Year in the United States.

Zenyatta is a Breeder's Cup World Champion.

Both are pretty nice trophies.

One was won by ballot.

One was won by racing.

I place more value on the latter.
Dan H is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-29-2010, 10:03 AM   #4
FenceBored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan H

One was won by ballot.

One was won by racing.

Correction: both were won by racing. One was won by running a single race. One was won by running a real campaign.
Old 01-29-2010, 10:05 AM   #5
Dan H

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenceBored
Correction: both were won by racing. One was won by running a single race. One was won by running a real campaign.
I saw it live on television. The guy opened an envelope and read the name Rachel Alexandra!
Old 01-29-2010, 10:18 AM   #6
FenceBored

Quote:
I saw it live on television. The guy opened an envelope and read the name Rachel Alexandra!
What you saw was the culmination of a process which began with the running of races. No horse's connections have ever won a racing championship with a horse who never ran a race.
Old 01-29-2010, 10:58 AM   #7
tucker6

Quote:
LOL. I was going to say the same thing.
tucker6 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-29-2010, 11:22 AM   #8
DRIVEWAY

Quote:

One was won by ballot.

One was won by racing.

Fewer than 300 people voted. Just about every poll taken of the general racing public had the opposite outcome.
DRIVEWAY is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-29-2010, 11:38 AM   #9
Dahoss9698
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIVEWAY
Fewer than 300 people voted. Just about every poll taken of the general racing public had the opposite outcome.
Which is the exact reason why the general public should never vote for awards, all star teams, Hall of Fames, etc.
Dahoss9698 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-29-2010, 12:06 PM   #10
Kimsus
Veteran

Quote:
Jerry Moss likes to say that Zenyatta was beaten by proxy. But, this is not true. Zenyatta lost HOY due to the unimaginative, and ultimately weak campaign, arranged by ... whom?

I bring this up again because of a column by Dan Lieberman at the Bloodhorse, Breeders' Cup not a World Championship, which highlights one of Mr. Moss's mistakes, namely believing the hype that the BC is "like the Super Bowl" of horseracing. It's not.
You cannot compare Thoroughbred racing to other sports. In baseball, football, basketball, etc., the league office determines the schedule. It tells teams when to play, and where. Teams can’t decide to skip a game or pass the playoffs. In racing, the owner and trainer decide a horse’s schedule.
-- http://cs.bloodhorse.com/blogs/wgoh/archive/2010/01/27/breeders-cup-not-a-world-championship.aspx
This is one of the strengths of horseracing, one that demonstrates its continuing existence as a true athletic competition (with associated mental competition from the spectators via paramutuel wagering), the myriad of separate owners each striving with their horses to accomplish the goals they have created for themselves, not just following the whims of some Prince of Paddock, some Raj of Racing, some Hegemon of Horses. In contrast, those 'organized' sports such as baseball, basketball, and hockey which also have lengthy seasons, but which have a defined playoff and championship structure, risk apathy amongst their fan base for the majority of the regular season. How many people do you know who say they only begin to pay attention to the NBA when the playoffs start, or ignore baseball until late August at the earliest? Racing, by having major races such as the Donn on Feb. 6th, scattered throughout the year, offers the public a constantly renewing set of contests with real value toward determining the year end championships.

This is the lesson Mr. Moss forgot, that hiding out in the corner of the sport defeating lesser grade opponents, the 'has beens' and the 'never weres', cannot be offset by just one single attempt at a challenging race, regardless of the hype which surrounds it. Scoring two touchdowns in the last minute of the game is great, but it doesn't change the outcome when you are down by 30 points.
HOY is done and over. Like I said the minute it was announced it's time to move on....Rachel deserved HOY or to be more accurate it was actually just short 3/4's of the year for the better overall campaign she had over Zenyatta's one superb performance sprinkled in with what some will call as a conservative campaign even though in the end she won 3 grade 1's in most cases with the handicap of carrying highweight. The amounts of space wasted on continuing to debate this is a waste of time, and to be fair both sides both can be accused of hiding out when it came to certain races(not the exact way I would put it though)...It's time to move on to new discussions as to who the better horse is when they get back, I look fwd to a future matchup now that Rachel is 4 and Zen is 6, where no one has the weight advantage though from what I have read since Rachel is so good and she is HOY maybe she should be the one giving weight for a change and to Zenyatta in particular since she is too slow.

Joanied I hope you loved the sacasm in this post.

Last edited by Kimsus; 01-29-2010 at 12:14 PM.
Kimsus is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-29-2010, 12:28 PM   #11
Dan H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimsus
HOY is done and over.
This is no longer a debate about Horse of the Year. It's about an original poster touting an article whose headline reads: "Breeder's Cup not a World Championship."

Should we put an asterisk besides the name of Ferdinand (1987), Curlin (2007), and AP Indy (1992)? Are their victories diminished because Dan Leiberman at Bloodhorse says the Breeder's Cup is not a world championship?

Zenyatta is my world champion. There was a race. I saw it.

Rachel Alexandra is horse of the year. There was a vote. I saw it.
Old 01-29-2010, 12:29 PM   #12
joanied

Location: Wyoming, near Yellowstone Park...born/raised in Brooklyn,NY
Quote:
HOY is done and over. Like I said the minute it was announced it's time to move on....Rachel deserved HOY or to be more accurate it was actually just short 3/4's of the year for the better overall campaign she had over Zenyatta's one superb performance sprinkled in with what some will call as a conservative campaign even though in the end she won 3 grade 1's in most cases with the handicap of carrying highweight. The amounts of space wasted on continuing to debate this is a waste of time, and to be fair both sides both can be accused of hiding out when it came to certain races(not the exact way I would put it though)...It's time to move on to new discussions as to who the better horse is when they get back, I look fwd to a future matchup now that Rachel is 4 and Zen is 6, where no one has the weight advantage though from what I have read since Rachel is so good and she is HOY maybe she should be the one giving weight for a change and to Zenyatta in particular since she is too slow.

Joanied I hope you loved the sacasm in this post.
I'll need some time to mull it over

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to us"
Gandalf the Grey
joanied is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-29-2010, 12:33 PM   #13
FenceBored

Quote:
HOY is done and over. Like I said the minute it was announced it's time to move on....Rachel deserved HOY or to be more accurate it was actually just short 3/4's of the year for the better overall campaign she had over Zenyatta's one superb performance sprinkled in with what some will call as a conservative campaign even though in the end she won 3 grade 1's in most cases with the handicap of carrying highweight. The amounts of space wasted on continuing to debate this is a waste of time, and to be fair both sides both can be accused of hiding out when it came to certain races(not the exact way I would put it)...It's time to move on to new discussions as to who the better horse is when they get back, I look fwd to the matchup now that Rachel is 4 and Zen is 6, where no one has the weight advantage though from what I have read since Rachel is so good and she is HOY maybe she should be the one giving weight for a change and to Zenyatta in particular since she is too slow.
This discussion isn't about who's the better horse (Rachel of course), but rather the fallacies underlying Jerry Moss's choice of races for Zenyatta last year. Knowing that he wanted the HOY for Zenyatta, knowing that he wanted her to be fresh and ready for a SA BC, he still had numerous options to which he did not avail himself. Indeed, as the year went on and Rachel's campaign eclisped Zenyatta's modest efforts Team Zenyatta did not adjust to the changing landscape, instead they continued to follow their old GPS loaded with outdated street maps. Is it any wonder Mr. Moss didn't reach his goal? He relied on the imagined power of the Breeders' Cup to deliver him a championship without exerting himself. This is a lesson for other owners: The BC isn't the be all/end all of racing. If you want the HOY, you have to work for it.
Old 01-29-2010, 12:35 PM   #14
Dahoss9698
Veteran

Quote:
This is no longer a debate about Horse of the Year. It's about an original poster touting an article whose headline reads: "Breeder's Cup not a World Championship."

Should we put an asterisk besides the name of Ferdinand (1987), Curlin (2007), and AP Indy (1992)? Are their victories diminished because Dan Leiberman at Bloodhorse says the Breeder's Cup is not a world championship?

Zenyatta is my world champion. There was a race. I saw it.

Rachel Alexandra is horse of the year. There was a vote. I saw it.
So, by this logic, Dancing In Silks was your top sprinter in the world last year? Oh and Conduit was your world champion on turf right?
Dahoss9698 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-29-2010, 12:35 PM   #15
DeanT

Quote:
This is one of the strengths of horseracing, one that demonstrates its continuing existence as a true athletic competition (with associated mental competition from the spectators via paramutuel wagering), ............ In contrast, those 'organized' sports such as baseball, basketball, and hockey which also have lengthy seasons, but which have a defined playoff and championship structure, risk apathy amongst their fan base for the majority of the regular season.
I do find one thing a little strange in your argument: Baseball, Basketball and Hockey are popular.
DeanT is offline   Reply With Quote Reply