Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapping Software

Old 12-31-2009, 10:30 AM   #1
Arlo

What do you think of JCapper?

I saw JCapper mentioned here quite a few times in a very good way. I read the info at the Jcapper website as well. If anybody using it would care to share their thoughts about this program in this thread I'd appreciate it. Looks like it's been about two years since there was a good info thread about JCapper.

And yes, I know there's no such thing as a black box. I just say that because when I was researching here that's something that seems to be said over and over. I get it, so no need to rehash that.

Thank you
Arlo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-31-2009, 11:02 AM   #2
DJofSD
Screw PC

Welcome to the board.

I believe Jeff offers a demo or trial version. Check it out that way. Once you have dipped your toes you can look at the web site forum for additional help.
Old 12-31-2009, 11:12 AM   #3
Arlo

Thanks DJ, I saw the free demo offer. I'm just trying to get an idea what people who use it think about it. Or on the other hand what people who don't use it any more think about it.
Old 12-31-2009, 11:27 AM   #4
Charli125

Arlo,

I've been a jcapper user for about a year now, and I love it. The thing that I find most helpful is that I can look over past data in a thousand different ways to find out what has worked, and what hasn't. I can compare different seasons, surfaces, conditions, etc., and it gives me a good base to handicap from.

I will also say that the new jcapper additions have been a huge help. It's now 100 times quicker to run queries and get results.

I know it takes some time to learn a new software, and that's probably why you're hesitant to download the trial, but I do recommend the trial.

Let me know if you have specific questions about functionality and I'll see what I can do to answer them.

Charlie
Charli125 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-31-2009, 11:46 AM   #5
Arlo

Thanks very much, Charlie.

I guess the main thing I'd ask is do the JCapper UDMs depend on past results to predict future outcomes? I only know what I've read here, and I'm in no way an expert, but that seems to be a reasonable criticism. I do see where you can use JCapper data to handicap using pace or speed, but the UDMs seem to be the centerpiece of the program. Again, I'm only formulating questions based on the things I've read here at PA. I don't really have an educated opinion yet.
Old 12-31-2009, 12:03 PM   #6
Charli125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlo
Thanks very much, Charlie.

I guess the main thing I'd ask is do the JCapper UDMs depend on past results to predict future outcomes? I only know what I've read here, and I'm in no way an expert, but that seems to be a reasonable criticism. I do see where you can use JCapper data to handicap using pace or speed, but the UDMs seem to be the centerpiece of the program. Again, I'm only formulating questions based on the things I've read here at PA. I don't really have an educated opinion yet.
That's a good question, and I guess it depends on how you use it.

You could create a UDM that showed a 1.1 ROI over the last season, and then you could apply that UDM to this season expecting the same 1.1 ROI. I don't think that would be very smart though, and the chances of it performing the same way the next season as it did the last are slim to none.

The way I use UDM's is to flag horses that I should take a closer look at based on criteria that have continuously shown a good ROI. I go through and look at combinations and criteria that have performed well, and create UDm's based on those. Then, when I look at my report in the AM, I'll see which horses have been flagged as being worth a closer look.

I also continuously update my UDM's. I'm not sure if this is what other users do, but if a criteria that worked great last year is a detriment this year, then I'm going to make that UDM innactive so that I don't think it's flagging a positive item.
Old 12-31-2009, 12:48 PM   #7
Arlo

That's very reasonable, using your UDMs to serve as a sort of contender selection tool. Updating them makes great sense as well. I got the idea from what I read here that some will make a final decision based on what the UDM tells them and others like yourself will use it as a jumping off point for their serious handicapping.
Old 12-31-2009, 02:23 PM   #8
Charli125

For a better explanation, write PA user Jeff P. He's the creator of Jcapper. Please don't take my way of doing things as the "right way", as I'm still a very new user.
Old 01-01-2010, 07:40 AM   #9
Arlo

Just bumping to see if there's anybody else out there who would care to share their opinions of JCapper with me.
Old 01-01-2010, 08:18 AM   #10
JustRalph
Just another Facist

I have been accused of being a Jcapper Whore .............so take it at that.

I love it.........I think it is the best thing going .......with a narrow lead over a few others........ the assumption of not being able to use it for "pace" and "speed" I think is in error. There are so many ways to use it for pace and speed..........based on writing your own UDM's and applying your own theories, that you really have to get to know the program to be able to see the light .

I personally don't use the new stuff/additions. I just haven't had time to catch up.......but this baby is constantly being improved.

Pick what you think your wheelhouse is.......and run with it. That is what I think the beauty of the program is..........you decide what area you want to really go after.......and it provides a million ways to do it.

don't shortchange yourself. try it out.............
Old 01-01-2010, 08:34 AM   #11
lamboguy

i have never used this program or any other program that generates selections. i don't even use the racing form even though i get it for free. i have found that the horse with the "best number" does not win all the time, and that if you did bet it all the time you would still be a loser. there are alot of variables that come up in the game that numbers or models cannot make any sense in the world out of. for instance i don't know of any numbers that can suggest that a horse will run a better or worse race than they did the last one they ran in. i don't know of any computer that can tell you that a horse that ran in a $5000 non winners of a race to the date is better than a wide open nickle. yet there are races like that.

this j-capper could be real good for you if it takes the information that you like and it spits out a selection that you are comfortable with based on the criteria that you feed it. i find that a human touch is still needed to make your best selections. i have been using pace figures for the last year as a final handicapping tool in deciding wheather to place thebet or pass it. i find that earlymiddle and late pace helps me immensely, and if i didn't have them i would be in alot of trouble today. i might be different that alot of people in that i am not a trick player. if i bet 30 races i might throw a trick in once or twice out of the 30. i suppose for people that are more focused to play tricks a program like j-capper would be quite helpfull. i would also say that j-capper can probably help you to have some dicipline in making your plays. i am not about to knock j-capper or any other program because i have never tried them. with the way i play my ROI is a losing one. i have not had a winning year in the last 10 betting horses without a rebate. even with my rebate i have a return of less than 1%.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-01-2010, 09:24 AM   #12
stranded

i have been using jcapper for about two year's plus .also tried hsh.all i can say is my r.o.i. with jcapper is 1.97 on plays over 4-1.will not play unless i have a udm and odds are 4-1 or over.had some concern's about sql udm's .jeff walked me though it. when you make good udm's though research,the only thing that can nbeat you is yourself.
stranded is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-01-2010, 09:27 AM   #13
lsosa54

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy
with the way i play my ROI is a losing one. i have not had a winning year in the last 10 betting horses without a rebate. even with my rebate i have a return of less than 1%.
Thanks for being honest with yourself and the group - much appreciated. It is a damn tough endeavor that requires a ton of time investment and work and discipline and even then...

Last edited by lsosa54; 01-01-2010 at 09:29 AM.
lsosa54 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-01-2010, 10:18 AM   #14
Arlo

I'd like to ask Ralph and Charlie (or any other JCapper user) if successfully handicapping with JCapper is the brutally crushing, nearly impossible endeavor as per Isosa's and Iamboguy's opinions here. They seem to paint a fairly hopeless picture.

Do you who use JCapper spend the majority of the day handicapping in order to be successful?
Old 01-01-2010, 10:22 AM   #15
lamboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsosa54
Thanks for being honest with yourself and the group - much appreciated. It is a damn tough endeavor that requires a ton of time investment and work and discipline and even then...
one more thing that i didn't add to my comment is that my life is all about horseracing, i buy, sell, breed, and race horses. so betting on them helps me to stay more intuned with the sport. i also speak with trainers, clockers, track maintenace people and various farms throughout the land. meaning once in awhile i might find something out about a horse that's not in the numbers or the racing form.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply