Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 06-10-2003, 02:27 AM   #1
$$$$$

Cool Hi......and, didn't anybody else notice ?

Ok, 1st I would like to say hi to everybody here. I have read this board for quite a while, but have not posted for a few years..... I don't even remember what my old nick was, it wasn't a horses name, so how am I supposed to remember it ?

Anyway, I was ready to play a big exacta box using Empire Maker and Funny Cide....hell, it looked like easy money.....then the horses came on the track..... I know a lot of you guys watch the horses in the post parade and the warm-up, but not 1 person has mentioned why Funny Cide was an immediate throw......hmmmm. Ok, I will give everybody a chance to go back and look at the tape ....... I have confidence somebody here will find it.......
$$$$$ is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-10-2003, 08:39 AM   #2
Show Me the Wire
Quintessential guru

$$$$$:

Interesting:

I was racing on Belmont day (not personally), so I was running between the barn and the track, also I was not wagering on the Belmont, so I only saw the race itself. I did not have an opportunity to see the paddock feed or the post parade. I would be interested in reading about what you saw.

Regards,
Show Me the Wire

Perception is reality
Show Me the Wire is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-10-2003, 10:02 AM   #3
azibuck

I didn't go look at the tape, but I remember him doing this really short choppy thing with his hind legs at some point. And he was kind of sideways at the same time. Was that it?
azibuck is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-10-2003, 10:52 AM   #4
andicap

well, he looked kind of wet.

Old 06-10-2003, 11:27 AM   #5
Pace Cap'n

My wife noticed how he was laying his head across the neck of the pony horse, and asked what that might be a sign of.

Told her I didn't know, and still don't. ????????
Pace Cap'n is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-10-2003, 12:48 PM   #6
Dave Schwartz

Pace,

>>My wife noticed how he was laying his head across the neck of the pony horse, and asked what that might be a sign of.

Told her I didn't know, and still don't. ????????<<

It is an action of one horse putting another "in its place." In herd mentality, a dominant horse lays its head across the neck of the submissive horse.

I learned this from the trainer that trained my first two pleasure horses. (They weren't much pleasure; just adopted mustangs.)

I even had a hand later on at training a couple myself (with guidance). That, btw, was an interesting experience.

Watching a master with wild horses at work is a thing of beauty. Occasionally, at fairs, there will be an exhibition of a wild horse being gently broken. Don't miss it if you get the chance. But be ready to spend a LONG time, as they may take hours reaching the point where they can touch the horse.

Regards,
Dave Schwartz
Dave Schwartz is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-10-2003, 01:08 PM   #7
Pace Cap'n

Some folks over at DRF said he was dragging his left rear foot slightly, and whenever he saw EM he got the jitters. I didn't notice either of those.
Pace Cap'n is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-10-2003, 01:11 PM   #8
Lefty

I posted on an earlier thread that he had "foam" around his mouth. PA, said that was a good sign, but the horse looked "antsy" to me. Anyway, odds were against him and i'd say hard to draw any valid conclusions from this one race, that it seems(to me anyway)has a history of the "rested" horse winning.
Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-10-2003, 02:20 PM   #9
superfecta
no fat chicks

What I saw..

was Santos petting the horse as they walked to the gate,looked like he was trying to calm him down.But I also saw that EM was reluctant to load the first time.Didn't look good to me for either horse,but I guess maybe EM was keyed up,and funny didn't feel like himself,but thats hind sight.Glad I didn't have money on either horse cause I didn't like what I saw,and it was too late to change tickets.
Old 06-10-2003, 02:47 PM   #10
Skanoochies

O.K. I give up!!!

C`mon $$$$$, don`t keep us in suspense. I can`t stand it any longer.
Old 06-10-2003, 03:59 PM   #11
Trijack

Dave

I just read a book "The Man Who Listens to Horses" by Monty Roberts. He claims he can break & train most wild horses to take a rider in less than 30 minutes by just listening to them. He is going to be in Chino, Ca on July 16, 2003. I have purchased tickets to go, will let you know how it works out. His web site is http://www.montyroberts.com.
Old 06-10-2003, 04:17 PM   #12
andicap

The Robert Redford move "The Horse Whisperer" is based on Monty Roberts. (there might have been a book too before the movie)
Old 06-10-2003, 05:21 PM   #13
Diamond K

Are you referring to using the rundown bandages in the mud?

Diamond K
Diamond K is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-10-2003, 05:24 PM   #14
Diamond K

I didn't mention that he was also 'on his toes' when starting to warm up.

Diamond K
Diamond K is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-10-2003, 06:19 PM   #15
Trijack

andicap

I have both books "The Horse Whisperer" was written first. "The man Who Listens to Horses" was written by Monty Roberts. The book is a true story about his life. I highly recommend this book.