Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 11-07-2009, 10:43 PM   #1
Indian Charlie

Great horses (Zenyatta) overcome extraordinary circumstances

Great horses overcome obstacles ordinary horses cannot.

That is the measure.

Zenyatta was twice irritated at the gate, was left in last behind absolutely no pace (see Colonel John in third early as evidence), then drew off late against males despite the early crawl in one of the biggest races of the year.

I am certainly not a fan of synthetic, and it could be argued that the impact of pace is insignificant or severely diminished on the plastic, but regardless ... this was a magnificent performance.

The scene at Santa Anita as Zenyatta was walking back to the winner's circle, with thousands of adoring fans full of emotion and on their feet, confirmed what had just happened. It was spine-tingling - reminiscent of the post-race scene from the movie (and heroic) Seabuscuit.

But for one distinction ... Zenyatta is not a movie!
Indian Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-07-2009, 10:50 PM   #2
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Here's something I didn't quite get...and maybe someone can explain....

Zenyatta has been last or next to last early on in nearly every single race she has ever run....

Yet, listening to Trevor Denman say she's "DEAD LAST!" more than once during the early running of today's race, one would have thought this was some sort of shocking, never-before-seen development...

And just by eyeballing the raw fractions, I'm not sure why the BC Classic is being labeled "no pace" by you...the fractions look very much in line with what Zenyatta is used to running (last early) against....
PaceAdvantage is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-07-2009, 10:54 PM   #3
Show Me the Wire
Quintessential guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage

Zenyatta has been last or next to last early on in nearly every single race she has ever run....

Yet, listening to Trevor Denman say she's "DEAD LAST!" more than once during the early running of today's race, one would have thought this was some sort of shocking, never-before-seen development...

And just by eyeballing the raw fractions, I'm not sure why the BC Classic is being labeled "no pace" by you...the fractions look very much in line with what Zenyatta is used to running (last early) against....
She practically dwelt at the start, was on the incorrect lead and off stride. All difficulties of her own doing, yet she overcame them to win the race. It was a combination of things that made Denman say what he said.
Show Me the Wire is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-07-2009, 10:57 PM   #4
GMB@BP

Quote:

I joked about Trevor and the last call with some friends who were there...it was funny.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-08-2009, 12:38 AM   #5
Pace Cap'n

At least he didn't say "Mike Smith is dead last!"
Pace Cap'n is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-08-2009, 12:55 AM   #6
Stillriledup
Veteran

Listen to the call of Talamo winning with Cali Flag, it sounds like he's calling the race for Jockeys.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-08-2009, 06:56 PM   #7
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup
Listen to the call of Talamo winning with Cali Flag, it sounds like he's calling the race for Jockeys.
You know, I thought the same exact thing! That's funny!
PaceAdvantage is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-09-2009, 12:39 AM   #8
badcompany

Quote:

It was obviously a closer's race.

The horses that finished 1st thru 4th were sitting 11th, 9th, 7th and 6th at the 1/2.

The horses that were sitting 1st thru 4th at the 1/2 finished 8th, 10th, 5th, and 11th.

― Thomas Sowell

Last edited by badcompany; 11-09-2009 at 12:42 AM.
badcompany is offline   Reply With Quote Reply