Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 08-10-2009, 05:38 AM   #1
Imriledup

Have you ever yelled at a jockey for a bad ride?

I used to really get on them when i was younger. I've been extremely tempted recently, but held my tongue every time.
Imriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-10-2009, 06:46 AM   #2
JBmadera

heck yeah, there were many times I wanted to hop over the rail at bay meadows....back when hansen et al were up to their old tricks. too old to try that now but it is still probably best I sit here in my office by myself and watch the races on twinspires.

I know, I know 99.9999% of the times all the jockey's are doing there very best but it only takes a couple guys like Pfau, Lynch etc to mess with ones mind.

jb
JBmadera is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-10-2009, 07:52 AM   #3
JustRalph
Just another Facist

no, but my TV gets an ass chewing every now and again
JustRalph is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-10-2009, 08:00 AM   #4
illinoisbred

I remember when I was young back in the early 60's,Bill Hartack rode at Arlington and he would get yelled at alot.One time he shot back'if you think this is so damn easy, you get out here and do it'.ON the other hand ,Walter Blum was also riding at this time and I never met a more perfect gentleman,a consummate professional.
illinoisbred is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-10-2009, 08:13 AM   #5
illinoisbred

I play from home,but I wish somebody out at Arlington would yell at Chris Emigh to count 1,000 one,1,000 two,etc.,or carry astop watch because this guy has no sense of how slow he's going.This i'm sure accounts for the slump he's in.
Old 08-10-2009, 08:18 AM   #6
eastie
Double Secret Probation

It's more fun to tell them about the big cheeseburger lunch you just had, or the hot fudge sundae you had for desert. This is especially fun with jocks who are fighting weight. It's not like you have to worry about them taking a swing at you or anything. Of course maybe if they didn't go 5 wide on the clubhouse turn, or get boggled up on the rail when they had a ton of horse and a chance to get out, then there wouldn't be any reason to yell at them. A trainer once told me that jockeys would rather steal a dime than make a dollar honestly....that might be a little extreme, but they are certainly not to be trusted, only yelled at.
eastie is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-10-2009, 08:34 AM   #7
illinoisbred

Unlike Wayne catalano's brother[his first name escapes me] at the old Sportsman's Park,or Geary Louviere at Balmoral,maybe instead of strapping a battery to their wrist they should stick it in their posterior orifice.Also, once at FAir Grounds, word leaked out that all riders would be checked,the story goes,7 batteries were found on the track.
Old 08-10-2009, 08:56 AM   #8
illinoisbred

I was mistaken,Richard Strauss carried the battery while riding for Catalano's brother on a Hazel Park ship-in at Sportsman's.
Old 08-10-2009, 08:58 AM   #9
mountainman

Sure, at least three times a night. But only when our mikes are dead.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-10-2009, 10:39 AM   #10
bitter

not sure if anyone was watching this saturday's undecard at arlington... but dale bennett won a handicapp race on the undercard and was asked why the horse ran up the track in the previous race.......he flat out sad he got a bad ride from a horrible jockey (almost word for word)... think the jockey was corbett
bitter is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-10-2009, 10:41 AM   #11
illinoisbred

It's so easy to blame the little guy.Oops,wrong thread.
Old 08-10-2009, 10:45 AM   #12
bisket

eastie; the best thing to yell is thats awwright you may have cost me 20 on that race. you go enjoy that banana peel your having between races, i'm going to get some prime rib!!!
bisket is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-10-2009, 10:45 AM   #13
illinoisbred

Also saturday at Arlington,did anyone else hear F. Calabrese say he has a lot less aggravation now with D. Miller vs.W. Catalano?
Old 08-10-2009, 10:47 AM   #14
Marshall Bennett

I could understand anyone betting a horse under Mike Smith , yelling when he swings wide at the top of the stretch losing ground . Happens in about 75% of the races he rides in .
Marshall Bennett is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-10-2009, 11:20 AM   #15
david botsford
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall Bennett
I could understand anyone betting a horse under Mike Smith , yelling when he swings wide at the top of the stretch losing ground . Happens in about 75% of the races he rides in .
He was so focused on Life Is Sweet that he had no idea what was happening with the rest of the field then almost takes her into the grandstands before straighting for home almost got her beat by as CJ says tomato cans.I am guilty of yelling at bonehead jocks when they run up and get in a trap when they finally get just miss at the wire drives me nuts when my money is riding on it.

Last edited by david botsford; 08-10-2009 at 11:27 AM.
david botsford is offline   Reply With Quote Reply