Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Horseplayers Association of North America (H.A.N.A.)

Old 07-07-2009, 10:11 PM   #1
Jeff P

Location: JCapper Platinum: Kind of like Deep Blue... but for horses.
HANA heads West - Yavapai

You guys are probably already aware that Greg "Boomer" Wry has been rehired as both track announcer AND director of racing at Yavapai Downs. What you may not be aware of is this: Last week his boss, Gary Striker, extended an invitation for HANA to do a day at the races - date to be determined.

I just got off the phone with Boomer and it looks like the dates are now set. We'll be doing a two day event: Sat August 8, 2009 and Sun August 9, 2009.

Yavapai has promised us a room in the clubhouse and a nice spread buffet free to HANA members on those dates. There'll also be a cash bar if you want to cut loose a little.

While there, in addition to doing a member sign up drive - I'll be meeting with track management from YAV and TUP as well as key decision makers from the AZ horsemen, faculty and students from the U of A Racetrack Industry Program, and (hopefully) members of the AZ Racing Commission.

Want to be part of this?

It's going to cost you...

My goal is to get everybody on the same page... I want to see horseplayers in AZ get full support from Arizona's racing industry and together do a grass roots campaign to get Arizona's ADW law changed. Right now as I type this there are only 27 HANA members who reside in AZ. By the end of this summer we'll need to see several hundred new AZ HANA members if we are to have ANY chance of convincing state lawmakers and regulators to effect change in the one state where it's needed the most.

If you want positive change for racing this is a golden opportunity.

HANA Sign Up Link:
http://www.jcapper.com/HANA/SignUp/H...m.asp?source=0

If you haven't already done so, click the sign up link and become a HANA member. And then tell a friend about us and pass on the url. And tell them to do the same thing.

Sincerely,

Jeff Platt

President, HANA

Old 07-07-2009, 10:32 PM   #2
DeanT

Background on this insanity in Arizona for horseplayers:

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-raci...elony?id=40980

Quote:
Many representatives of the Arizona horse racing industry offered their support for HB2694 during a Feb. 15 state Committee on Water and Agriculture meeting. Among the supporters were representatives of Turf Paradise, Yavapai Downs, the Yavapai Downs County Fair Association, the Arizona Horsemen’s Benevolent and Protective Association, and the Arizona Thoroughbred Breeders Association.

With HB2694 now in effect, the ADW companies were forced to close the accounts of their Arizona customers or face felony charges.
DeanT is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-07-2009, 10:48 PM   #3
andymays
Veteran

I'll take Yavapai Downs over Keenland any day!

I couldn't resist. Forgive me.

Last edited by andymays; 07-07-2009 at 10:50 PM.
andymays is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-08-2009, 12:50 AM   #4
boomman

Thumbs up HANA weekend at Yavapai Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanT
Background on this insanity in Arizona for horseplayers:

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-raci...elony?id=40980
We look forward to hosting members of HANA on the weekend of 8-8-09, and hope as many of you as possible will attend. I do also want to stress (as a reminder) that no current member of The Yavapai Downs Management team had anything to do with the passing of HB 2694, (in fact I found out about it after our PTC day with Ian Meyers at Yavapai Downs 2 yrs ago) and we are certainly ready willing and able to come to the table and hammer out a plan that makes all ADW revenue and availability fair to the track, horsemen and horseplayers. We look forward to having that discussion in the near future..........

Boomer
Old 07-08-2009, 01:16 AM   #5
boomman

Simulcast schedule

Also forgot to let everyone know that we were asked by players to start posting our simulcast schedule on our website...It is there now along with our new management team under the corporate tab:

www.yavapaidownsatpv.com

Boomer
Old 07-08-2009, 01:31 AM   #6
johnhannibalsmith

Rest assured - Boomer is making giant strides towards improving the product offered at Yavapai for the benefit of fans, horseplayers, horsemen, and management alike. It isn't as easy as it sounds, but nor is it the impossibility that it is often portrayed as.

I have a new optimism for my favorite track that is both refreshing and needed and it is owed in large part to Boomer and his diligence to addressing issues that should make Yavapai a much improved product for those playing the races, which ultimately benefits everyone affected and involved.

Larger, but utterly important issues, such as the ADW debacle are obviously extremely important and need to be rectified, but trust me when I state that simply heading the ship in the proper direction is a major endeavor at this point.

I have confidence that we are already getting things turned in the right direction and when Boomer illustrates to everyone that growing handle is the only recipe for success, it will become apparent that the remainder of the needed progress to succeed hinges upon expanding and retaining a satisfied customer base.

I want to thank Boomer again and Jeff for participating and helping do something that I truly hope can ultimately become a model not only for other Arizona tracks, but ultimately an industry at large.

I look forward to seeing a knowledgeable and constructively critical group that can hopefully help awaken the eyes of others within the industry to the realities of what a brand needs to be in a contemporary model. Horsemen are in a position where understanding how their purses are contrived has for the first time become something of required reading, so hopefully HANA can become educators and reach out to folks that may be receptive to realizing what can and needs to be done for their livelihood to thrive.

Come one come all!
johnhannibalsmith is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-08-2009, 08:10 AM   #7
Cangamble
Agitator

I'm going to make a suggestion here. If one of our members could join here:
http://forums.azcardinals.com/

The problem is they have a Sports Talk Forum and a Non Sports Talk Forum (but you aren't allowed to discuss religion or politics).

I think many football fans bet. So we might get quite a few signups from this site, however, I don't know if someone can start a thread on it, because it is a political issue.
Old 07-08-2009, 10:28 AM   #8
cj's dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cangamble
I'm going to make a suggestion here. If one of our members could join here:
http://forums.azcardinals.com/

The problem is they have a Sports Talk Forum and a Non Sports Talk Forum (but you aren't allowed to discuss religion or politics).

I think many football fans bet. So we might get quite a few signups from this site, however, I don't know if someone can start a thread on it, because it is a political issue.
Couldn't the HANA membership drive be introduced on the site as non-political? Simply a group formed to improve the benefits of those who wager on the horses and improvements at the tracks in general.
Old 07-08-2009, 10:29 AM   #9
bob77713

"Many representatives of the Arizona horse racing industry offered their support for HB2694 during a Feb. 15 state Committee on Water and Agriculture meeting. Among the supporters were representatives of Turf Paradise, Yavapai Downs, the Yavapai Downs County Fair Association, the Arizona Horsemen’s Benevolent and Protective Association, and the Arizona Thoroughbred Breeders Association." Notice how the AZ racing commision wasn't mentioned. That's because they voted 'No' for HB2694.

I spoke with the owner of TUP, Jerry Simms, approx. 6 weeks ago regarding HB2694. All I'm going to say is, good luck if you think their going to support changing the ADW laws. They were the principals who drafted the bill.

It's nice HANA is giving support to Boomer. But as a HANA member myself, I want no part in a procott for Yavapai or Turf Paradise. They don't deserve it. You have no idea how this law changed my lifestyle.
bob77713 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-08-2009, 10:37 AM   #10
Cangamble
Agitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj's dad
Couldn't the HANA membership drive be introduced on the site as non-political? Simply a group formed to improve the benefits of those who wager on the horses and improvements at the tracks in general.
If you want to give it a try, go ahead. I'm sure there are no restrictions on membership regarding where you live. I'm a bit of a Cardinal fan myself, but I'm a member of so many forums these days, I don't know if I can sign up with another one without finally having a nervous breakdown
Old 07-08-2009, 10:43 AM   #11
BillW
Comfortably Numb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cangamble
I'm sure there are no restrictions on membership regarding where you live.
Wanna bet? I'm from Pittsburgh
Old 07-08-2009, 11:06 AM   #12
Cangamble
Agitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillW
Wanna bet? I'm from Pittsburgh
You fluked it again this year.
Old 07-08-2009, 11:15 AM   #13
DeanT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob77713
It's nice HANA is giving support to Boomer. But as a HANA member myself, I want no part in a procott for Yavapai or Turf Paradise. They don't deserve it. You have no idea how this law changed my lifestyle.
Hi Bob,

I think I do know how it affected your lifestyle, simply because I think I would go bonkers if I had to live without wagering the way I do. From day one on the HANA blog we have made mention of the pure unadulterated insanity of the law and how it affects players. We completely feel for you (and with Jeff, who grew up in Arizona and was a long time player there, he feels passionate about it more than most, imo).

With respect this is not a procott of any of those tracks. It is simply a gathering to discuss the issues and try to make a plan of attack to energize Arizona players to change things in the state (and where better to get together and talk about an Arizona issue than an Arizona track?). It is a first salvo to see what players can do. You sound like someone who would be perfect to meet and discuss the issues as you are on the trenches. I hope you, and a lot of players like you would get involved. If not, I understand.

We have read and discussed the state of the game there for awhile now and completely understand the malaise there with tracks like TUP. If I was one person contacting them it would drive me nuts because I know it would be talking to a brick wall (I have done things alone over the years and it is not fun). But what if 400 or 500 people knocked on the door? That's what we hope to find out.

Best,

D

Last edited by DeanT; 07-08-2009 at 11:18 AM.
DeanT is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-08-2009, 11:51 AM   #14
RichieP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob77713
But as a HANA member myself, I want no part in a procott for Yavapai or Turf Paradise. They don't deserve it. You have no idea how this law changed my lifestyle.
I agree and wont go near any racetrack in Arizona.They screwed friends who live there with their laws and obscene rakes.

No mas aqui
Old 07-08-2009, 11:57 AM   #15
Jeff P

Location: JCapper Platinum: Kind of like Deep Blue... but for horses.
Quote:
You have no idea how this law changed my lifestyle.
Actually I might have some small idea how it affected your lifestyle.

You see I'm FROM Arizona and had to move AWAY from Arizona to play horses.

Without your help and the help of others like you we have no chance. The "we put on the show" execs get their way.

But what if 500 people join in and make their voices heard? Would that be enough? Maybe not. What about 1000?... 3000?... If enough people care it tips to where change becomes possible.

-jp