Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 06-26-2009, 08:24 PM   #1
Hajck Hillstrom
Deftly Rated

Mark Johnson observations...

With about 2 months now under his belt, I'm curious how the public is adjusting to the race calls of the new track announcer at Churchill Downs, Mark Johnson?

Every time I listen to a call from Churchill these days, I find myself somewhat conflicted. Mr. Johnson is an accomplished race caller... professional and polished, so why do his calls leave me squirming in my seat? Accented callers such as Denman, Gellar, and Wrona don't have that effect on me.

Maybe such calls from the bluegrass just don't seem to fit the landscape. Maybe Luke set the bar at a height difficult for others to scale. Maybe I don't need to be told a race is official twice in every race.... "the 5th race is official, its official," or perhaps the pronunciation of Shine Ola as Shine Ahla just doesn't resonate the same to me as Shine O La.

I want to like him, I really do, as he appears to be a genuinely capable announcer, a strong handicapper, and a very knowledgeable individual, in fact he may be too good.

I guess I'll be patient with my assessment going forward. If Tiger Woods started wearing a red Kilt on Sunday, I imagine I would eventually get used to it.
Hajck Hillstrom is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-26-2009, 10:12 PM   #2
BeatTheChalk

As most folks know .. I do not care for the announcers from :
UK * and South Africa. What does it say for the sport ..if
one of theee oldest tracks in the world ( CD ) has to hire
a bloke from across the seas. It makes no sense. Of course
Jackson is awful in his own right
Old 06-26-2009, 11:35 PM   #3
DanG
Easy Goer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hajck Hillstrom

Every time I listen to a call from Churchill these days, I find myself somewhat conflicted. Mr. Johnson is an accomplished race caller... professional and polished, so why do his calls leave me squirming in my seat?
Really Doug?

Completely subjective but I think he’s clearly one of the best in the country already.
~ George Bernard Shaw
DanG is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-27-2009, 12:12 AM   #4
Hajck Hillstrom
Deftly Rated

No argument as to his skills.... maybe it is just a geography issue, although his oft used reference of "debutants" is for some reason off-putting for me.

What is looked upon as a West Coast Aussie/South African accent trend with Denman, Gellar, and Wrona has long proved enjoyable for me, but for some reason a British accent over the Louisville loudspeakers is out of balance with my senses.

Don't get me wrong.... as he is good, very good, but maybe I am looking for a grittier sound from Churchill. Perhaps it an ingrained sound of pretentiousness of the British accent, but what is crazy is that it doesn't bother me at all while listening to it from the likes of Newcastle or Ascot, in fact it adds to the experience.

Maybe I view Churchill as a part of Americana, and listening to Johnson's calls almost Britishsizes the fabric. I'm not saying it is a bad thing, but just that it taking some getting used to for me.

Last edited by Hajck Hillstrom; 06-27-2009 at 12:14 AM.
Hajck Hillstrom is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-27-2009, 12:46 AM   #5
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

I could take him or leave him, but since he is in America, it would be nice if he spoke American English instead of the British version.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-27-2009, 04:50 AM   #6
JBmadera

don't know why this is but I love his calls on the big races but day in day out not so much.

jb
JBmadera is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-27-2009, 05:40 AM   #7
ManeMediaMogul

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
I could take him or leave him, but since he is in America, it would be nice if he spoke American English instead of the British version.
There's an Okie response.

Boomer Sooner!

Ugh.
Old 06-27-2009, 09:22 AM   #8
DanG
Easy Goer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hajck Hillstrom

Maybe I view Churchill as a part of Americana, and listening to Johnson's calls almost Britishsizes the fabric.
Are we still fighting the Red Coats Doug? Lol

If we take your view to its logical "authentic Americana" conclusion then we might have to announce in my fathers native tongue…Cherokee.
~ George Bernard Shaw

Last edited by DanG; 06-27-2009 at 09:27 AM.
DanG is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-27-2009, 10:04 AM   #9
rokitman
Registered BSer

He doesn't belong at Churchill. That's yer problem.

Fix it.

The old-fashioned way.
rokitman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-27-2009, 10:15 AM   #10
strapper

Maybe he's an acquired taste to some but I fine him accurate, interesting, and observant. Speaks the King's English which is, to my ears, classier than our substandard version. I would love to sit in on a room full of proper Englishmen in a gentlemen's club!
strapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-27-2009, 10:22 AM   #11
fmolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by strapper
Maybe he's an acquired taste to some but I fine him accurate, interesting, and observant. Speaks the King's English which is, to my ears, classier than our substandard version. I would love to sit in on a room full of proper Englishmen in a gentlemen's club!
i think churchill made a big mistake.their were so many accomplished racecallers to choose from.I think Trevor Denman flies on the west coast...A proper englishman in the heart of american horse country?At its oldest most prestigious track!Another shining example of racetrack executives marketing genius! .......

Last edited by fmolf; 06-27-2009 at 10:24 AM.
fmolf is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-27-2009, 10:27 AM   #12
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

I don't care what country he comes from, he is the worst I have ever heard, bar none. Glad CD is not a track I ever look at. He would drive me away for sure.
Old 06-27-2009, 10:32 AM   #13
andymays
Veteran

The Aussie or South African accent is preferable. Having said that He's just OK!
andymays is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-27-2009, 10:54 AM   #14
cj's dad

IMO - He stinks !!

Job should have gone to am American, preferably Larry Collmus.
Old 06-27-2009, 01:19 PM   #15
bettheoverlay

Does anyone know if there are any American racecallers working in other parts of the English speaking world?
bettheoverlay is offline   Reply With Quote Reply