Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 05-20-2009, 02:07 AM   #1
CBedo
AllAboutTheROE

Interesting TV show about the Breeder's Cup Pick 6 Scam

A show on TruTV called MasterMinds about how criminals planned their criminal enterprise and of course how they were caught.

They just had one about the Breeder's Cup Pick 6 Scam. I didn't realize that the same AutoTote programmer had earlier figured out how to cash about 80,000 of uncollected tickets that were on the system.

Pretty crazy to think that if just about anyone but Volponi won the Classic that year, he would have won less, but probably noone would have suspected anything.

It was an interesting show that you guys might enjoy watching if it comes on again. It was from 2004 and the episode title was "Ham."
CBedo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-20-2009, 02:32 AM   #2
cmoore

Masterminds - A Day at the Races (1 of 3) 2 and 3 should be on the same page..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTNZr...x=0&playnext=1

Last edited by cmoore; 05-20-2009 at 02:38 AM.
cmoore is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-20-2009, 02:55 AM   #3
CBedo
AllAboutTheROE

Thanks for the link.
CBedo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-20-2009, 03:08 AM   #4
cmoore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBedo
Thanks for the link.
I love the last line....

He forgot, While he was a mastermind of his computer. He was not a master of the horses and he got caught by a long shot..
cmoore is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-20-2009, 09:57 AM   #5
ryesteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBedo
Pretty crazy to think that if just about anyone but Volponi won the Classic that year, he would have won less, but probably noone would have suspected anything.
Even with Volponi winning, if they hadn't made the ticket look so ridiculous (what was it, 4 singles and two ALLs?) no one would've caught on either...
ryesteve is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-20-2009, 10:16 AM   #6
magwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryesteve
Even with Volponi winning, if they hadn't made the ticket look so ridiculous (what was it, 4 singles and two ALLs?) no one would've caught on either...
You are 100 % right....... It could have gone on a long time with a real player on the inside calling the shots.
Old 05-20-2009, 10:17 AM   #7
Cangamble
Agitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryesteve
Exactly, if they would have gone 3 by 2 by 1 by 2 by all by all, they might have got away with it. Also, having the friend open an account new just before the race, wasn't very smart either, but they were expecting to be one of 3 or 4 winners if they were lucky, and it wouldn't have been noticed.

Curious if the players who got ripped off by their earlier pick 4 scams, where over $100,000 was ripped off from winning players were ever compensated. I doubt it.
Old 05-20-2009, 11:57 AM   #8
spiketoo

I watched something similar years ago on the Discovery channel or somewhere. While the 'structure' was odd at best, I believe suspicion arose when they had the P6 multiple times on one ticket. THAT was the red flag. Who puts in a $6 P6?
spiketoo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-20-2009, 12:13 PM   #9
rrbauer
Both-hands Bettor

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiketoo
I watched something similar years ago on the Discovery channel or somewhere. While the 'structure' was odd at best, I believe suspicion arose when they had the P6 multiple times on one ticket. THAT was the red flag. Who puts in a $6 P6?
That was the fatal faux pas....there were supposed to be three $2 tix (one for each of them) but the guy who put in the bets outsmarted himself. Although having three winning tix on the same account would've raised a red flag too. Now three tix on three different accounts....hmmm.

And someone with system admin privileges on the tote company system could be cashing "uncashed" tickets yet today.
Old 05-20-2009, 02:09 PM   #10
takeout

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiketoo
I believe suspicion arose when they had the P6 multiple times on one ticket. THAT was the red flag. Who puts in a $6 P6?
That’s like the Valentine’s Day fix at Bowie in ’75 where the winning tri box was purchased 38 times at the same window in one transaction.
takeout is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-20-2009, 02:24 PM   #11
fmhealth

Does anyone truly believe that something along these lines is NOT going on at this very moment?
fmhealth is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-20-2009, 02:28 PM   #12
Bettowin

Forget the P6 scam. They could have gone on for years making and cashing uncashed tickets the day they became void and the chance of being caught were slim to none. Could have chosn their tax free income every week but of course got greedy.
Bettowin is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-20-2009, 02:30 PM   #13
takeout

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrbauer
And someone with system admin privileges on the tote company system could be cashing "uncashed" tickets yet today.
And some probably are. I’ve been reading about this kind of stuff for decades. My favorite is the one where the guys were printing their own winning tri (or super?) ticket every night at some dog track. I can only imagine how many stories of this type have never seen the light of day. Makes one wonder what the REAL “takeout” actually adds up to.
Old 05-20-2009, 02:45 PM   #14
takeout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettowin
Forget the P6 scam. They could have gone on for years making and cashing uncashed tickets the day they became void and the chance of being caught were slim to none.
Exactly. I think that dog track thing went on for a long time and it was just a fluke that they were caught. Could have gone on forever.
Old 05-20-2009, 03:23 PM   #15
Cangamble
Agitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettowin
Forget the P6 scam. They could have gone on for years making and cashing uncashed tickets the day they became void and the chance of being caught were slim to none. Could have chosn their tax free income every week but of course got greedy.
It could have been caught if someone got wise at all the tickets that were being cashed at certain kiosks.
Especially if they looked at the tickets the machine accepted and saw "Test Ticket" on them.