Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Horseplayers Association of North America (H.A.N.A.)

Old 03-05-2009, 04:22 PM   #1
bcgreg

New Blog Post...GREAT Idea!

Let's do this!

bcgreg
bcgreg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-05-2009, 05:12 PM   #2
DeanT

Are you speaking of the letter from Mike and Ross?

For those who did not see it, a couple of members have an open letter to horseplayers on the HANA site. I am pretty sure most know Mike Mayo and Ross Gallo.

http://blog.horseplayersassociation....-we-stand.html
DeanT is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-05-2009, 08:12 PM   #3
rrbauer
Both-hands Bettor

This is the "Procott" model. We've already been down that road. In today's environment we will get farther, faster by withholding our money than we ever will by betting it. Being nice to Turf Paradise and Beulah Park is supposed to gain us something? Spare me.

Pick a target and launch a boycott. That will get their attention and gain horseplayers some respect (more accurately it will gain horseplayers' MONEY some respect).
Old 03-06-2009, 07:28 AM   #4
bcgreg

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrbauer
This is the "Procott" model. We've already been down that road. In today's environment we will get farther, faster by withholding our money than we ever will by betting it. Being nice to Turf Paradise and Beulah Park is supposed to gain us something? Spare me.

Pick a target and launch a boycott. That will get their attention and gain horseplayers some respect (more accurately it will gain horseplayers' MONEY some respect).
Maybe, but a lot less realistic IMO.

Most ARE betting now. Harder to quit betting than to bet in unison... one day, one track, one race.

bcgreg
bcgreg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-06-2009, 09:17 AM   #5
rrbauer
Both-hands Bettor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcgreg
Maybe, but a lot less realistic IMO.

Most ARE betting now. Harder to quit betting than to bet in unison... one day, one track, one race.

bcgreg
Basically, bcgreg, it's a case of having been there, and knowing what works.

Our entire battle against racetracks' and horse-owner groups' punitive measures towards horseplayers will end the day that we publicly get in bed with them. We will never gain "standing" with those groups by continuing our kowtow posture. You can't defeat the status quo by subscribing to it. Until we make them hurt they will continue to shine us on and continue to make fun of their stupid horseplayer customers behind our backs.
Old 03-06-2009, 05:36 PM   #6
rokitman
Registered BSer

Procotts are weak.

We should identify a charity and, instead of betting, give 25% of your estimated handle for the day to the charity. One day a week at first, if nothing changes, 2 days, then 3....
rokitman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-06-2009, 09:22 PM   #7
DeanT

I must say this interests me. It is set up with the infrastructure to grow and be a force. Having a procott for the sake of a procott is futile, imo. Maybe you get a story written about you. Yippee! But organized properly this can grow and mushroom and build dollars. Like Mike says in his letter this goes week by week and hopefully grows; if you can bet a million, you can take away a million. If it happens, and goes as Mike and Ross envision, perhaps in a year if things do not change in this business, $1M is taken out of pool X. You better believe they will notice when $1M is taken out of a daily track pool.

Anyway, the comments from members are good to read, one way or the other. It is nice to have members with proactive ideas.
Old 03-08-2009, 09:09 PM   #8
alydar

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanT
Are you speaking of the letter from Mike and Ross?

For those who did not see it, a couple of members have an open letter to horseplayers on the HANA site. I am pretty sure most know Mike Mayo and Ross Gallo.

http://blog.horseplayersassociation....-we-stand.html
Seema like an old idea that didn't float before. I personally have always supported the idea of procotts and boycotts but I am clearly in the minority. The previous attempts of actions like this never seemed to gain any momentum. Just becuase this idea came from Gallo amd Myers doesn't make it any better or likely to succeed. .

Last edited by alydar; 03-08-2009 at 09:14 PM.
alydar is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-08-2009, 09:33 PM   #9
DeanT

Hey Aly,

Since being involved for awhile I find that many ideas are good ideas, whether they have been tried or not, but when tried, or when proposed there is little in the way of organization behind them. All I can say to this idea is that if it moves forward, it will be done with organization and not with short-term thinking, but longer term thinking.

What happens with it if it does move forward is anyone's guess. But I think ideas and trying things are important. If we are not moving forward, we're moving backward.
Old 03-08-2009, 09:46 PM   #10
alydar

You make a good point. I for one would be happy to participate if it is well concived and organized, as you suggest. I didn't mean to sound cynical, I think that HANA'a progress to date has been much more than I expected, and I only wish it further success.

Last edited by alydar; 03-08-2009 at 09:47 PM.
alydar is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-08-2009, 09:50 PM   #11
Indulto
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrbauer

rrb,
When you're right, you're right. Not much new here. The previous procott was a tree falling in the forest in New Mexico. HANA has the mechanism and, hopefully, some name recognition. Now it needs the strength and its leadership needs the will. I believe will brings strength, but ...

Let's see how this California rebate business works out. Maybe it's an opportunity for growth since HANA was an advocate from day one.
Indulto is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-08-2009, 09:58 PM   #12
DeanT

Quote:
Originally Posted by alydar
You make a good point. I for one would be happy to participate if it is well concived and organized, as you suggest. I didn't mean to sound cynical, I think that HANA'a progress to date has been much more than I expected, and I only wish it further success.
No, I did not take it that way at all. I saw you sign up awhile back and thank you for that support. We should know what goes on with this over the next two weeks. We're looking at signups and comments. If it is a go we will make this fun, and hopefully ongoing. We'll update it when we have some more due diligence done. Right now comments and new signups are extremely positive and supportive, but we'll see if that keeps up the next while.
Old 03-08-2009, 09:59 PM   #13
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokitman
Procotts are weak.

We should identify a charity and, instead of betting, give 25% of your estimated handle for the day to the charity. One day a week at first, if nothing changes, 2 days, then 3....
I am with rrbauer on this one.

I also like the idea above. Find a horse rescue outfit closest to the track that is targeted and get nice picture of a HANA board member or the like, handing them one of those over sized checks.......and making sure the local track realizes that this money was meant for their pools that day........

Might be a logistical nightmare.......... but some variation would be great
Old 03-09-2009, 09:07 AM   #14
RichieP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph
I also like the idea above. Find a horse rescue outfit closest to the track that is targeted and get nice picture of a HANA board member or the like, handing them one of those over sized checks.......and making sure the local track realizes that this money was meant for their pools that day........

Might be a logistical nightmare.......... but some variation would be great
I like the Rokitman's idea as well and would definitely be willing to donate.

Procotts unless it is a race I am interested in are not for me.
Old 03-09-2009, 01:29 PM   #15
rokitman
Registered BSer

Remember, when you give your money to charity, you always get a rebate from the taxman.
rokitman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply