Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > **TRIPLE CROWN TRAIL**

Old 02-19-2009, 04:49 PM   #1
lamboguy

dunkirk

this one just entered the party. i like old fashioned but this one was impressive in an allowance race today in gulfstream. the rider came all the way from california to ride him too.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-19-2009, 04:54 PM   #2
FlyinLate

I have to say I was impressed. Faced a talented crew here while enduring the worst trip of the group to open up by five lengths. I doubted this horse after the pace he had to run into during his maiden victory, my doubts have been lifted.
FlyinLate is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-19-2009, 05:03 PM   #3
SmartyJ

Been a fan of Dunkirk since he broke his maiden. Horse might be for real.
Florida Derby next for him? Or one more prep?

Last edited by SmartyJ; 02-19-2009 at 05:06 PM.
SmartyJ is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-19-2009, 05:08 PM   #4
OTM Al
intus habes, quem poscis

I look forward to seeing a replay of this race. What he has done in his 2 races is, if descriptions bear out, more impressive to me than what a horse like Imperial Council has done in terms of aiming at classic distance races. However, I can't get excited about a horse until he's done something in a legitimate stakes, at least Derby wise. With $0 in stakes earnings, he has a long way to go yet and has no margin for error. Looks like a good shot come Belmont time though, doesn't he.
OTM Al is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-19-2009, 05:20 PM   #5
SmartyJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTM Al
I look forward to seeing a replay of this race. What he has done in his 2 races is, if descriptions bear out, more impressive to me than what a horse like Imperial Council has done in terms of aiming at classic distance races. However, I can't get excited about a horse until he's done something in a legitimate stakes, at least Derby wise. With $0 in stakes earnings, he has a long way to go yet and has no margin for error. Looks like a good shot come Belmont time though, doesn't he.

He is farther ahead than Big Brown was at this time last year.
Old 02-19-2009, 05:33 PM   #6
bobphilo

When I saw Dunkirk carried 7-wide into that 1st turn I said that he would either fold like a cheap suit or was some kind of racehorse if he could still win or even place.

Just to makes things even more interesting, he went into the 2nd turn 4-wide, though by then, one could see by the way he was moving that he had this race. He had enough left in the tank to not just win, but also win by several lengths going away. Make no mistake, though billed as an allowance this was a strong stakes level field.

Easy trivia question. What other terrific grey won his Derby preps despite giving up tons of ground to his rivals by taking the overland route? No, I am not comparing the 2 at this early stage.

Bob
bobphilo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-19-2009, 05:40 PM   #7
DanG
Easy Goer

Save time and give him the Florida Derby Trophy now.
~ George Bernard Shaw
DanG is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-19-2009, 06:04 PM   #8
SmartyJ

Anyone know where I can watch this race at?
Old 02-19-2009, 07:15 PM   #9
bobphilo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartyJ
Anyone know where I can watch this race at?
If you have an on-line account, like Twin Spires, it should be in their video library. You can also try RaceReplays.com - I think that's the website.

I checked You-Tube and so far they just have his maiden race win. Remarkably similar in that he again has such a wide trip, except in today's win he's wide on both turns - doubly impressive.

http://tinyurl.com/atn545

I'm sure todays race will be up there soon also.

Bob

Last edited by bobphilo; 02-19-2009 at 07:22 PM.
bobphilo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-19-2009, 07:26 PM   #10
OTM Al
intus habes, quem poscis

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartyJ
He is farther ahead than Big Brown was at this time last year.
Don't discount the fact that Big Brown did race at 2. This year is also shaking out to be a lot more competative than last year, which is a great thing.
OTM Al is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-19-2009, 07:35 PM   #11
sandpit

The preliminary Beyer is a 98...
sandpit is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-19-2009, 07:37 PM   #12
Wickel

Absolutely awesome! His maiden win was breathtaking, and today's runaway was even more impressive, considering the extremely wide trip on the first turn.
Wickel is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-19-2009, 08:27 PM   #13
onefast99

3.7m and it looks like they finally spent their money on a contender. Dunkirk went 9 wide stoped for a quick pull of the slots and was off to the winners circle.
onefast99 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-19-2009, 08:27 PM   #14
SmartyJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTM Al
Don't discount the fact that Big Brown did race at 2. This year is also shaking out to be a lot more competative than last year, which is a great thing.

And Big Brown laughed at the field in both the Derby and Preakness. Lot of time left though.
Old 02-19-2009, 08:27 PM   #15
W2G

Simply put, that was big time. This grey just might make everyone forget about that other grey in Hot Springs.

With any luck this TC season will shape up to be at the very least compelling and maybe even historic. We could see unusually talented runners emerge from all corners -- AR, FL, LA, CA, NY, even KY, and all converge on Louisville. Yeah, I'm an optimist, but that would be something.
W2G is offline   Reply With Quote Reply