Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > **TRIPLE CROWN TRAIL**

Old 02-11-2009, 01:36 PM   #1
HOY

Derby Futures add exacta wagering

http://news.bloodhorse.com/article/49162.htm

I am fine with all of this, except the inability to bet all/all (which I never would anyway or field/field (which is very much in play). Why if you only allow 23 named horses in the pool would you limit the ability to bet field/field, other than to potentially get a huge cash grab if it happens for the entity behind the wagering, assuming there is no carryover?

And they still refer to it as pari-mutuel wagering???????????

Last edited by HOY; 02-11-2009 at 01:40 PM.
HOY is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-11-2009, 02:26 PM   #2
cj's dad

With 24 future entries it is possible to bet a total of 552
different exacta combinations. I believe the field is limited to 18 runners (?) which limits the possible combos to 306.

So, all exacta wagers (246) in the "dead zone" are pocketed by CD. No refunds of course

That would be my take.

Last edited by cj's dad; 02-11-2009 at 02:30 PM.
cj's dad is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-11-2009, 02:33 PM   #3
Sundown

From the way I read it they're treating the field as a coupled entry, so you can't do a field/field bet.

In the event of a finish in which multiple members of the “all others” betting interest occupy spots at the top of the official order of finish, the calculation of the $2 payout will be conducted in accordance with KHRC rules on coupled entries. For example, if horses in the field occupy the first five spots in the Derby’s order of finish, and No. 9 finishes sixth, the winning exacta numbers will be 24 and 9. A finish of 3/24/24/24/7 would result in an exacta payout on a 3-and-24 ticket.
Sundown is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-11-2009, 04:58 PM   #4
sandpit

The Derby field is limited to 20, so theoretically 380 possible combos.

As tough as it is to pick the winner three months out, how hard is it going to be to have the 1-2 finishers? The takeout on this bet should be about 3%.

This is one where you will have to watch the probable payoffs and wait until Sunday to make a play, if so inclined.
sandpit is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-11-2009, 05:56 PM   #5
HOY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundown
From the way I read it they're treating the field as a coupled entry, so you can't do a field/field bet.

In the event of a finish in which multiple members of the “all others” betting interest occupy spots at the top of the official order of finish, the calculation of the $2 payout will be conducted in accordance with KHRC rules on coupled entries. For example, if horses in the field occupy the first five spots in the Derby’s order of finish, and No. 9 finishes sixth, the winning exacta numbers will be 24 and 9. A finish of 3/24/24/24/7 would result in an exacta payout on a 3-and-24 ticket.
Somehow I missed that part the first time thru. Have never even wagered on the win futures, but think about it every year. I do very much like two horses who have big m/ls on the list, granted i am sure i am not the only one and their prices will probably be halved by Sunday.
HOY is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-11-2009, 06:07 PM   #6
Sundown

I don't think I've ever played the Futures either. The exacta sounds crazy.
Sundown is offline   Reply With Quote Reply