Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapping Library

Old 08-02-2008, 02:14 PM   #1
Bill Cullen

What books are the best collections of spot plays from a creative point of view?

What books are the best collections of spot plays from a creative point of view? Here I'm looking more for originality and uniqueness of the methods than just number crunching. A book where after looking at the spot plays therein you find yourself saying a number of times, "Hey, I never thought of that before."

Thanks,

Bill C
Bill Cullen is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-02-2008, 03:58 PM   #2
RaceBookJoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Cullen
What books are the best collections of spot plays from a creative point of view? Here I'm looking more for originality and uniqueness of the methods than just number crunching. A book where after looking at the spot plays therein you find yourself saying a number of times, "Hey, I never thought of that before."

Thanks,

Bill C
Jim Adkinsson (sp?) had an interesting one called " The damndest, craziest, longshot getting book" or something like that. It was a nice slant. I used to lean more on spot plays that made sense from a logical point of view, then some of the "bet the grey horse" type things. rbj
RaceBookJoe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-02-2008, 05:00 PM   #3
ranchwest

Quote:

Thanks,

Bill C
If you haven't read Quirin, I'd recommend starting there before moving on to other spot play books. Quirin doesn't match your uniqure requirement, but I think he sets up a reader for understanding and evaluating other books.
Old 08-02-2008, 05:46 PM   #4
RichieP

Quote:

Thanks,

Bill C
Bill
Calibration Handicapping by Jim Lehane is what you are looking for. Quite possibly the BEST book ever written on how to make money at the track.

The last part about making your own value line instead of relying on ml odds maker is worth 10 times the price of the book and that's just a small piece of it man.

Get it
Richie
RichieP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-02-2008, 05:53 PM   #5
tribecaagent
Veteran

Quote:

Thanks,

Bill C
Bill,

"Inside the Claiming Game" by Steve Collison is unique and far from a number crunch approach. I really got a handle on which trainers know how to play the game.
tribecaagent is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-03-2008, 12:15 AM   #6
Hank

The Mark Cramer stuff like hardcore research for X rated horseplayers would fit the bill.
Hank is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-03-2008, 12:40 AM   #7
shoelessjoe

Second the motion on CH,Jim's red scan technique is very good.
shoelessjoe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-03-2008, 07:00 AM   #8
gl45
Journeyman

Ray Taulbot "Lessons in Handicapping" and "Lessons on Racing Angles"
gl45 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-03-2008, 08:28 AM   #9
The Judge

Check Out

The old Systems and Methods which evaluated systems that where mailed in or otherwise gathered up ala Phillips Newsletter (which may be another source). Check Gamblers Books
The Judge is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-03-2008, 09:27 AM   #10
offtrack

Olmstead's Complete Handicapper- lists "50 systems that work".
offtrack is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-03-2008, 05:14 PM   #11
Bill Cullen

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceBookJoe
Jim Adkinsson (sp?) had an interesting one called " The damndest, craziest, longshot getting book" or something like that. It was a nice slant. I used to lean more on spot plays that made sense from a logical point of view, then some of the "bet the grey horse" type things. rbj
Sounds just what I'm looking for!

Thanks,

Bill C
Old 08-03-2008, 05:16 PM   #12
Bill Cullen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchwest
If you haven't read Quirin, I'd recommend starting there before moving on to other spot play books. Quirin doesn't match your uniqure requirement, but I think he sets up a reader for understanding and evaluating other books.
Thanks for your response. I've read Quirin and I still have his "Winning
at the Races" book.

Bill C
Old 08-03-2008, 05:17 PM   #13
Bill Cullen

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieP
Bill
Calibration Handicapping by Jim Lehane is what you are looking for. Quite possibly the BEST book ever written on how to make money at the track.

The last part about making your own value line instead of relying on ml odds maker is worth 10 times the price of the book and that's just a small piece of it man.

Get it
Richie
Thanks, Richie.

I'll try go get it.

Bill C
Old 08-03-2008, 05:18 PM   #14
Bill Cullen

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecaagent
Bill,

"Inside the Claiming Game" by Steve Collison is unique and far from a number crunch approach. I really got a handle on which trainers know how to play the game.
This sounds like what I need to be reading.

Thanks,

Bill C
Old 08-03-2008, 05:20 PM   #15
Bill Cullen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank
The Mark Cramer stuff like hardcore research for X rated horseplayers would fit the bill.
Thanks, Hank.

I've read Cramer before and he's pretty unique.

Bill C