Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 06-03-2008, 10:08 AM   #1
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Doesn't this economy know it's supposed to be in recession?

Do factory orders tend to rise in the middle of a great recession? I don't think so....

Here's the news flash from Briefing.com:

Quote:
April factory orders rose 1.1%, after increasing 1.5% in March. The result was better than the expected decline of 0.1%. Orders increased 2.6% when excluding transports. Importantly, this report does not indicate an economy that is in a recession.
You see that, even economists are buying into all the goon squad tactics. They expected a DECLINE of .1%, and instead, they got a RISE of 1.1%

Quite a difference. Some recession, eh?

Want to see how factory orders did during the last recession? Check out the following chart:

PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-03-2008, 12:52 PM   #2
jballscalls

So we're not in a recession?
Old 06-03-2008, 01:04 PM   #3
lamboguy

how could we possibly be in a recession with the live selector 2 threads down?

he knows nothing about any recession
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-03-2008, 01:37 PM   #4
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by jballscalls
So we're not in a recession?
For you, sir, we'll humor you and allow you to believe we're in a depression. How's that for the promotion of accommodation and good will?

Boxcar
Old 06-03-2008, 01:41 PM   #5
ddog

PA

i have some disappointing news for you i think.
the r started in late Nov - Dec and this one is bottomed out (I Hope) now you will start to see (I think) the small flat line and then we will see the 2nd leg down, i hope not huge.

when YOU don't get it, you don't get it.
that's fine.

you keep harping about great R, i don't see that as rational.
in comparision to what is great?

also, the chart and your breifing comment don't jive.

i love it when minus this and plus that and other than this are bandied about.
minus transports...
also, on your fac ord figure what part is played by oil prices (rising) in that stat???
ddog is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-03-2008, 03:41 PM   #6
jballscalls

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar
For you, sir, we'll humor you and allow you to believe we're in a depression. How's that for the promotion of accommodation and good will?

Boxcar
I was just being obnoxious, cause we're reminded on this site by a different article daily that we're not in a recession. WE GET IT!!
Old 06-03-2008, 04:34 PM   #7
pktruckdriver
Sunny Daytona Beach

What about GM

Sorry I don't believe Bossman here.

You left out that GM just shut down 4 factories and Let go over 1/4th of their employees, And reports from UAW are that other are about to do the same.

This is not signs of recovery, sorry but ask the GM employees how the economy is right now?? This is a huge Corp. that just shut down over 1/4th of its employees.
pktruckdriver is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-03-2008, 04:42 PM   #8
chickenhead
Lacrimae rerum

GM has been on a downhill slide for 30 years. You can't use a company that has struggled for decades continuing to struggle as evidence of much of anything having changed.
chickenhead is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-03-2008, 05:14 PM   #9
ddog

of course , what they don't headline for you , I expect, is that you can't layoff/buyout a 1/4 and more (without a doubt coming) of the current workers and close a 1/4 or so of the U.S. owned plants without a ripple effect for other suppliers/support that fed those plants.

SOme of this will be taken up by foreign owned auto makers that site here or in mexico/Canada,etc. but that's a sad substitute in my eyes anyway for the robust industry WE used to control.

As usual, nothing to do with the unions, this was all very bad and misguided mgmt descisions as to market forces,etc.

It was good for some of them while it lasted.
Generally the ones being terminated didn't decide which cars to build.

I would suggest GM sell off their non-auto parts of the business, it is and will kill them even if they could make a car at a profit.
Of course, they should have done it a year ago when they could get something for them.

Also, it slays me that the "mgmt" still thinks they should be paying 25cent div per share when they have been borrowing and losing money for years.

I said in another thread that 90% of people could do the top level ceo type jobs, well i guess we have seen the outliers all at work here.
What terrible gutless brain dead goons.

Just more Americans who won't face hard facts until they get slapped up side the head with a two by four and then they look to pawn the pain off on others.

I maintain that as long as they had "it" all their own way things were ok, once competition really reved up they couldn't cut the mustard.
Seen that many times before in this country.

Their best shot is to get into scooters, they may have a shot there to make somthing at a profit that people wll buy.

Scooter biz REALLY picking up, lots on the road recently in this neck of the woods.

Wonder which vehicles these were replacing as primary around town transportation?

sad.

Last edited by ddog; 06-03-2008 at 05:18 PM.
ddog is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-03-2008, 06:05 PM   #10
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by pktruckdriver
Sorry I don't believe Bossman here.

You left out that GM just shut down 4 factories and Let go over 1/4th of their employees, And reports from UAW are that other are about to do the same.

This is not signs of recovery, sorry but ask the GM employees how the economy is right now?? This is a huge Corp. that just shut down over 1/4th of its employees.
If you knew about the UAW and the crap they pulled at the Moraine plant over the last five years..............you would understand why they were the first to go............ they got what they deserved.
JustRalph is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-03-2008, 06:48 PM   #11
Indulto
Veteran

PA,
Are those numbers reflective of volume, value, both, or other? Are time to deliver and expected payment dates factors here?

What are these orders for? Can't be automobiles, electronics, or aircraft. Must be arms -- military and prosthetic. What else is America still exporting to the rest of the world?

I don't know whether we're in a recession or not, but I guess we'll know for sure if traffic on the 405 freeway becomes less congested.
Indulto is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-03-2008, 07:20 PM   #12
newtothegame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddog
of course , what they don't headline for you , I expect, is that you can't layoff/buyout a 1/4 and more (without a doubt coming) of the current workers and close a 1/4 or so of the U.S. owned plants without a ripple effect for other suppliers/support that fed those plants.

SOme of this will be taken up by foreign owned auto makers that site here or in mexico/Canada,etc. but that's a sad substitute in my eyes anyway for the robust industry WE used to control.

As usual, nothing to do with the unions, this was all very bad and misguided mgmt descisions as to market forces,etc.

It was good for some of them while it lasted.
Generally the ones being terminated didn't decide which cars to build.

I would suggest GM sell off their non-auto parts of the business, it is and will kill them even if they could make a car at a profit.
Of course, they should have done it a year ago when they could get something for them.

Also, it slays me that the "mgmt" still thinks they should be paying 25cent div per share when they have been borrowing and losing money for years.

I said in another thread that 90% of people could do the top level ceo type jobs, well i guess we have seen the outliers all at work here.
What terrible gutless brain dead goons.

Just more Americans who won't face hard facts until they get slapped up side the head with a two by four and then they look to pawn the pain off on others.

I maintain that as long as they had "it" all their own way things were ok, once competition really reved up they couldn't cut the mustard.
Seen that many times before in this country.

Their best shot is to get into scooters, they may have a shot there to make somthing at a profit that people wll buy.

Scooter biz REALLY picking up, lots on the road recently in this neck of the woods.

Wonder which vehicles these were replacing as primary around town transportation?

sad.
Sorry DDog....and first off evening everyone....but there is one thing that kind of stuck with me in your post that I felt I could chime in on.
"As usual, nothing to do with the unions, this was all very bad and misguided mgmt descisions as to market forces,etc." I would propose to you in fact just the opposite. I have watched as well as been a part of a major U.S union. UTU (united transportation Union). And I am here to tell you that leaving them was the best thing I could ever do. There was a place and time for unions in american society. But with all the gov't regulations along with OSHA etc, safety can not be the reasoning. So is it the hours? The pay?
This is to my point that I have mentioned here many times before...the american worker (like it or not) has become "lazy". Where is the industrial superpower of the forties and fifties? Just look at the once LARGE steel industries that was the pittsburg area. Unions have crippled american corporations causing many of them to just close their doors versus trying to be competitive. GM is no different. They have been in constant turmoil with unions for as long as I can remember. Its a sad day in american work history when it takes four men to do the job of one when you add in shop stewards, seniority, etc etc. Like it or not, until we become competitive again as a industrial counrty, we will continue to succomb to the likes of Japan, china, and many of the indonesian countries along with alot of Europe. Daily, we are being brought to our knees by the ever rising cost of imports. sad part is we have the ability and technology to have all the imports right here. Question is, are we willing to be competitive to do it? Or are we looking to save five, ten, maybe fifteen cents on a dollar and send our business overseas?
Look at Nafta and many of the other trade agreements. How do you see them relating to unions? Over the last thirty years or so, union membership has steadily declined. What ha salso happened over those last thirty years or so? yep...you guessed it...our industrial might as a country has also declined. Now I am not saying that because unions have decreased that industry has decreased. I am saying just the opposite..industry had to decrease to remain competitive (and selling to overseas) versus trying to consistently deal with the unwavering demands of unions and their leaders. Lets be honest here...lower levels of the unions NEVER prosper...its the officials who are robbing the unions and making the dollar all in the meanwhile our jobs are being sent overseas.
newtothegame is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-03-2008, 08:30 PM   #13
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indulto
I don't know whether we're in a recession or not, but I guess we'll know for sure if traffic on the 405 freeway becomes less congested.

Unemployment won't change the 405.........if they aren't working they will be headed to the beach
JustRalph is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-03-2008, 08:39 PM   #14
chickenhead
Lacrimae rerum

I use two things for recession watch...the wait at the local Chinese restaurant at lunch time...and the number of 50% off signs I see at the local antique store co ops.
chickenhead is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-03-2008, 08:40 PM   #15
46zilzal
velocitician

The 405 Freeway was overwhelmed back in the late 60's.

My sister travels only about 18 miles to work on it and it takes almost 50 minutes in good times.