Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 04-02-2008, 06:11 AM   #1
GlenninOhio

Edgar Prado's Barabaro book - excerpt

This is an excerpt from the Reader's Digest excerpt in their April 2008 issue (link below):

"As Barbaro galloped down the track alone, everything seemed to unfold in slow motion. I pulled hard on the reins. An outrider (a track official on a horse) came toward us, hoping to help me corral Barbaro so he could be reloaded for the race. We had traveled only 30 or 40 yards before Barbaro came to a halt, but it seemed to take forever. My heart hammered.

Horses that break through seldom run well once they're reloaded.

As I turned Barbaro around, I looked down. I was half hoping to see blood dripping from a cut on one of his forelegs, half hoping I would have to scratch him. The racing world would have been furious with me; how could I scratch a horse that looked like he could win the Triple Crown?

But I would have done it without hesitation. Barbaro had so much ahead of him. He could still make history. Why run him on a day when he didn't seem quite right?

"I was concerned about his welfare. But after I maneuvered him behind the starting gate and examined him, he seemed fine. There was no blood. He wasn't limping. His eyes were bright and alive.

Dr. David Zipf, the Pimlico veterinarian, carefully examined Barbaro.

"See anything, Doc?" I asked him.

"Nothing, Edgar. He looks fine," Dr. Zipf replied.

There was no time to communicate with Michael or the Jacksons. They were up in the stands -- terribly anxious, I was sure. The other Preakness horses were still in the starting gate, waiting to race.

I spoke to Barbaro. "Okay, boy, let's do it," I said, hoping to soothe him."

From "My Guy Barabaro" by Edgar Prado with John Eisenberg

http://www.rd.com/stories/heartwarmi...icle54916.html
GlenninOhio is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-02-2008, 01:46 PM   #2
bigmack

When I loosened my hold on the reins, Barbaro looked around, as if to say, That's it? I have to stop?
bigmack is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-02-2008, 04:00 PM   #3
JustRalph
Just another Facist

I read this in my monthly digest. I could only think......... why is Prado so late to this party? Everybody else has already capitalized........... I am a little Barbaro'ed out at this point.
Old 04-02-2008, 10:36 PM   #4
lilmegahertz

Oh God...Barbaro will always be a weak point for me....too many tears
A Prayer for Animals. Hear our humble prayer, O God, for our friends, the animals, especially for animals who are suffering; for any that are hunted or lost or deserted or frightened or hungry; for all that must be put to death. We entreat for them Thy mercy and pity, and for those who deal with them we ask a heart of compassion, and gentle hands and kindly words. Make us ourselves to be true friends to animals and so to share the blessings of the merciful. ~ Albert Sweitzer
lilmegahertz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-02-2008, 11:46 PM   #5
Shenanigans

Edgar Prado should have scratched Barbaro before he was even entered into the gate the first time.
Shenanigans is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-02-2008, 11:49 PM   #6
Pace Cap'n

A JOCKEY can scratch a horse?

And, why?
Pace Cap'n is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-02-2008, 11:53 PM   #7
Shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pace Cap'n

And, why?
If a jockey feels a horse is not feeling right i.e. lame, he can tell the track veternarian and almost always the vet leaves it up to the rider to make the final decision. The vet will watch the horse walk or trot, confer with the rider what is feeling wrong and a decision is made.
Old 04-03-2008, 12:08 AM   #8
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shenanigans
Edgar Prado should have scratched Barbaro before he was even entered into the gate the first time.
after reading the excerpt from the book............. you may be on to something

He says the horse wasn't right from the time he saw him in the paddock. He also says that he was hoping to find a cut or something on the horse after he broke through the gate. He wanted an excuse to scratch

Last edited by JustRalph; 04-03-2008 at 12:09 AM.
JustRalph is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-03-2008, 01:10 AM   #9
russowen77

The jock should have been the first to know if the horse wasn't right. This is sickening.

EP calmed the horse into suicide. He should have been inspected by his vet, not whoever the track had out there. Sorry, but many of those jobs go to the cheapest bidder.

Yes a jock can scratch a horse. Pat Day did it here years ago agianst the advice of the vet at the time. Xrays proved Pat correct.

To think EP is profiting from being a gutless wonder makes me even more ill.

Last edited by PaceAdvantage; 04-04-2008 at 01:37 AM. Reason: You know why....
russowen77 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-03-2008, 09:51 AM   #10
jognlope

I remember being irritated at J. Bailey for saying Barbaro wasn't right, was pacing in his stall before the race. Well he probalby had something.
jognlope is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-03-2008, 09:52 AM   #11
jognlope

Wasn't it Bailey who wouldn't get back on a horse who tossed him right before race, that would be a jockey scratch.
jognlope is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-03-2008, 10:14 AM   #12
46zilzal
velocitician

Quote:

And, why?
Our vet was often called over when a rider noticed something amiss and they were often correct.
Old 04-03-2008, 07:51 PM   #13
Pace Cap'n

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46zilzal
Our vet was often called over when a rider noticed something amiss and they were often correct.
Shenanigans stated EP should have scratched the horse before he entered the gate the first time. She did not say he should have consulted with the vet.

Thus my question: Can a jockey scratch a horse?

I have heard of them refusing to ride a horse, but they then found another rider.
Pace Cap'n is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-03-2008, 09:07 PM   #14
Shenanigans

Quote:
Shenanigans stated EP should have scratched the horse before he entered the gate the first time. She did not say he should have consulted with the vet.

Thus my question: Can a jockey scratch a horse?

I have heard of them refusing to ride a horse, but they then found another rider.
Sorry I didn't make the statement easier to understand (in both posts). No, a jockey can not officially, by himself, scratch a horse. He/she can either consult with the track vet if they feel there is a problem with the horse. Like I stated, the vet examines the horse and confers with the rider. Yes, the rider has a lot of say of how the horse feels - they are the one on the horses back - and the vet usually listens to the jock. Sometimes the vet doesn't agree and the rider can refuse to ride but usually when you hear of a jockey refusing to ride, it's because the horse is a nut case and not so much that the horse is lame.
Old 04-03-2008, 11:17 PM   #15
Marshall Bennett

I can't imagine a jockey taking his horse out of such a race , with so much at stake , unless something was obviously wrong .
Marshall Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote Reply