Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 01-21-2008, 06:48 PM   #1
City Zip

Trifecta Play

I'm strictly a longshot player, and I don't play exactas and trifectas at all, but now I find myself in a position that I have to start playing trifectas. Let me ask all the exotic players out there, what is the best way to eliminate horses from the trifecta? Also, what is the best way to play the trifecta? Key, Box, etc........? I know very little about playing trifectas which puts me behind the eight ball some, but any advice or suggestions that you can send my way would be appreciated.
City Zip is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-21-2008, 07:13 PM   #2
asH

No offense but how does one find himself forced to play trifectas…from a long shot bettor to forced to play trifectas? ? For me, a strict long shot bettor is just the reverse of a strict favorite bettor. If you’re asking for opinions, I think first starting over finding value from any winning horse would be where I would start. This may not be what you are looking for, but I have found that there are no quick fixes in this game; racing is non-forgiving. The sooner one learns the value of finding a winner (regardless of price), the sooner one finds winning.
asH

asH is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-21-2008, 08:28 PM   #3
City Zip

Lets just say I got myself into a jam and now have to alter the way I play for awhile. I had a feeling I wasn't going to get too much feedback before I wrote this thread. Also, I wasn't thinking clearly either before I wrote this thread. I had an anxiety attack. Now that I'm thinking clearly again after taking my medication, I'll just roll the dice and see where they land. I know what to do now as far as eliminating horses from the trifecta.
Old 01-21-2008, 08:49 PM   #4
rokitman
Registered BSer

I'm sure you'll get some useful responses. Hold your horses.
rokitman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-21-2008, 09:15 PM   #5
Robert Fischer
clean money

handicap what the most likely outcomes are
make a conservative estimate of the payout
calculate the costs

ticket structure is liquid. Some people have great success with a certain ticket structure and they wait for races that fit that structure well.

Structure
Say someone wants the affordable AB/ABC. - a $4 wager. Then naturally you are going to want to find a race with 2 strong win candidates and 3 consistent horses.... The more experienced player can create a ticket structure to fit a race. It is a value judgement.

Elimination
Who would you bet to win? Honestly I am not really good enough in most races to have a separate selection process for Place (2nd). I use my winners most of the time twice. In the win slot I maybe have a couple less horses by eliminating the fringe. Show (3rd) is a whole new ballgame for me! A lot of horses can get 3rd in a race, and my selection tends to include more.
You must balance coverage with cost to get a good value.
Robert Fischer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-21-2008, 10:02 PM   #6
asH

Zip

How much time do you have?
Old 01-21-2008, 10:29 PM   #7
City Zip

3 weeks
Old 01-21-2008, 10:53 PM   #8
asH

not a long time...if things have been going bad its not like this game will make it any easier...most here have been where you are its all part of growth... the nature of the beast.

how u doin, hows your head
Old 01-21-2008, 11:21 PM   #9
City Zip

I'm feeling better now.

No, playing trifectas isn't going to be easy, but I have to give it a shot. It's either going to work or it isn't. I'll know more tomorrow. I think I'll eventually figure it out and make some money.
Old 01-21-2008, 11:44 PM   #10
asH

what kind of information do you use. ...I use a spreadsheet and a database that I put together myself, took me a long while before I understood enough about this game to program it into a computer and I'm still learning... its not easy, especially when the pressure is on.
Old 01-21-2008, 11:51 PM   #11
fromtheroof

If you are gambling to try to get out of a jam, you are only going to make things worse. I am sure gambling is the reason your in this mess and it wont help you get out.
fromtheroof is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-22-2008, 12:05 AM   #12
john messina

Never bet a lot to make a little!
Old 01-22-2008, 12:22 AM   #13
City Zip

from

If I was negative like you I'd never get anywhere. You always have to be in a positive state of mind no matter what the circumstance. You have to always keep trying and never give up. I may be down now, but I'm certainly not out of it. With my positive attitude I will succeed.
Old 01-22-2008, 12:30 AM   #14
asH

A Positive mind is good, what information do you use?
Old 01-22-2008, 12:47 AM   #15
City Zip

TSN PP