Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 12-05-2007, 03:25 PM   #1
betsall
Veteran

Southern Flag

Like PA says he won't take it down as it's part of warner bros. Fine, I agree. Can't say that I really cared much one way or another till today.

What I do care about is when people are asked direct questions about something in plain site and they don't answer. It says alot about them, no matter how often they have to answer. Sorta like when your tall and people are always asking " do you play basketball"., ya get tired of it but thats the way it is.

We all know what it means, don't be coy, you make yourselves look bad.

The Confederate battle flag, called the "Southern Cross" or the cross of St. Andrew, has been described variously as a proud emblem of Southern heritage and as a shameful reminder of slaveryand segregation. In the past, several Southern states flew the Confederate battle flag along with the U.S. and state flags over their statehouses. Others incorporated the controversial symbol into the design of their state flags. The Confederate battle flag has also been appropriated by the Ku Klux Klan and other racist hate groups. According to the Southern Poverty Law Center, more than 500 extremist groups use the Southern Cross as one of their symbols.
betsall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-05-2007, 03:37 PM   #2
Show Me the Wire
Quintessential guru

It may be ONE of the symbols of some extreme groups, as you say, but as P.A. pointed out it is also used commercially. It is not an exclusive symbol of extreme groups.
A free people ought not only to be armed, but disciplined; to which end a uniform and well-digested plan is requisite; and their safety and interest require that they should promote such manufactories as tend to render them independent of others for essential, particularly military, supplies.
George Washington
Show Me the Wire is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-05-2007, 03:39 PM   #3
betsall
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Show Me the Wire
It may be ONE of the symbols of some extreme groups, as you say, but as P.A. pointed out it is also used commercially. It is not an exclusive symbol of extreme groups.
I agree. No problem with that.
Old 12-05-2007, 03:40 PM   #4
Greyfox

The Australian Flag is The Southern Cross.

The blue saltire on the Confederate Flag is referred to as "The Southern Cross" or the Cross of St. Andrews, not the flag itself.

The Australian Flag is referred to as The Southern Cross.
Nevertheless, several posters on this board are descendants of Great Grandparents who fought proudly, as Americans, under that banner.
Greyfox is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-05-2007, 03:50 PM   #5
betsall
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox
The blue saltire on the Confederate Flag is referred to as "The Southern Cross" or the Cross of St. Andrews, not the flag itself.

The Australian Flag is referred to as The Southern Cross.
Nevertheless, several posters on this board are descendants of Great Grandparents who fought proudly, as Americans, under that banner.
Will admit that I really don't know how to feel about that cause of the history facts. Being serious and not sarcastic.

Couldn't a descendants of a Nazi's say the same thing, having fought bravely under their flag.
Old 12-05-2007, 03:54 PM   #6
Greyfox

Quote:
Originally Posted by betsall
Couldn't a descendants of a Nazi's say the same thing, having fought bravely under their flag.
Maybe they can on a German poster board. Many Germans who were enlisted by Hitler's Nazi's fought for the country, not for Nazism.
Old 12-05-2007, 03:58 PM   #7
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Not in this country. Or planet.
Old 12-05-2007, 04:04 PM   #8
betsall
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox
Maybe they can on a German poster board. Many Germans who were enlisted by Hitler's Nazi's fought for the country, not for Nazism.
Ok that makes sense and i'm sure fact.

Dam if your any more reasonable I will have to award you the most mature, sensible, well adjusted, mentally fit, etc, etc person on this board. I'm not, that's why I can see the difference, never mind.

Yet we all know what the nazi symbol and the southerm flag really mean to most people and it's not positive.

My thinking is it's nothing but something to incite.
Old 12-05-2007, 04:15 PM   #9
Greyfox

Quote:
Ok that makes sense and i'm sure fact.

Dam if your any more reasonable I will have to award you the most mature, sensible, well adjusted, mentally fit, etc, etc person on this board. I'm not, that's why I can see the difference, never mind.

Yet we all know what the nazi symbol and the southerm flag really mean to most people and it's not positive.

There is no doubt that flags carry symbols and symbols incite emotions.
The swaztika, which was a flag of the Nazi party, and not Germany, certainly incites my blood to boil.
The Confederate flag does not have that impact on me.
It's a "Rebel Flag," as in the Dukes of Hazard. I suppose for some though, if they associate it with slavery and white supremacists, it will have some effect. Why they would associate it with that is beyond me.
Old 12-05-2007, 04:21 PM   #10
GaryG
Unreconstructed

Quote:
Nothing could be further from the truth. Please read some US history. This has been discussed here at great length and I am not going through all of it again.
Old 12-05-2007, 05:28 PM   #11
betsall
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryG
Nothing could be further from the truth. Please read some US history. This has been discussed here at great length and I am not going through all of it again.
Wish I knew how to search to find that thread. Am I to guess the words that will take me there.

flags, south, kkk, rasist, loyalty, proud, southern americans, jefferson davis, slavery, gary's explanation, newbie questions, etc, etc.

Still if I wear fur and get real animal blood thrown on me who is really to blame. Is it legal, yes but is it now " fill in the blank" acceptable.

Glad you don't conform but you have to then be ready to defend yourself day after day cause that's just the way it is.
Old 12-05-2007, 05:57 PM   #12
Grits

Quote:
Wish I knew how to search to find that thread. Am I to guess the words that will take me there.

flags, south, kkk, rasist, loyalty, proud, southern americans, jefferson davis, slavery, gary's explanation, newbie questions, etc, etc.

Still if I wear fur and get real animal blood thrown on me who is really to blame. Is it legal, yes but is it now " fill in the blank" acceptable.

Glad you don't conform but you have to then be ready to defend yourself day after day cause that's just the way it is.
You're rambling a whole lot here. Between the rambling and the typos are you nervous? Its also obvious, you are attempting to incite.

Rehashing a topic that you were just told has been discussed here numerous times doesn't really serve any purpose beyond the fact that you have an agenda.

I'll tell you the same thing I tell anyone that brings this up.

"I never owned a one. Nor have I ever asked a soul to do a thing for me that I wouldn't do myself."

GRITS is an acronym for Girl Raised In The South. While at it, I can assure you, if you threw blood all over one of my mink coats, one of us would be spending the night in jail. Not to mention that I'd sue the hell out of you.
Grits is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-05-2007, 06:05 PM   #13
lilmegahertz

Man oh Mandella am I glad I did not bring up the Okies reaction to hubby flying his Canadian maple leaf and me flying my Puerto Rican/Cuban colors...
lilmegahertz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-05-2007, 06:12 PM   #14
JustMissed

What Is an "Okies"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmegahertz
Man oh Mandella am I glad I did not bring up the Okies reaction to hubby flying his Canadian maple leaf and me flying my Puerto Rican/Cuban colors...
I am not familar with that word.

I hope it is not racist or demeaing to anyone.

JM
JustMissed is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-05-2007, 06:18 PM   #15
lilmegahertz

It is what the people of Oklahoma are proud to call themselves I suppose as it is everywhere...EX: OKIE owned is on a lot of businesses....so if someone calls themselves that then how can it be racist?
A Prayer for Animals. Hear our humble prayer, O God, for our friends, the animals, especially for animals who are suffering; for any that are hunted or lost or deserted or frightened or hungry; for all that must be put to death. We entreat for them Thy mercy and pity, and for those who deal with them we ask a heart of compassion, and gentle hands and kindly words. Make us ourselves to be true friends to animals and so to share the blessings of the merciful. ~ Albert Sweitzer
lilmegahertz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply