Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 09-13-2007, 11:08 AM   #1
HorseRun
Journeyman

Magna seeks to sell more racetracks

By MATT HEGARTY

Magna Entertainment Corp. will attempt to eliminate more than half a billion dollars worth of debt by the end of next year by selling several of its racetracks, issuing new stock, and exploring partnerships for several real-estate projects and its tracks, the company announced on Thursday.

http://www.drf.com/news/article/88487.html

Last edited by BillW; 09-13-2007 at 11:17 AM. Reason: Copyrighted material - Excerpt and a link only Please!
HorseRun is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-13-2007, 11:25 AM   #2
boomman

Thumbs up Magna "sell-off"

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorseRun

By MATT HEGARTY

Magna Entertainment Corp. will attempt to eliminate more than half a billion dollars worth of debt by the end of next year by selling several of its racetracks, issuing new stock, and exploring partnerships for several real-estate projects and its tracks, the company announced on Thursday.

http://www.drf.com/news/article/88487.html
Let the "sell-off" begin!! I'm hoping that Ron Geary and Mike Pegram get some majority ownership in some of these places! Have heard that horseplayer Geary (one of us and the new owner of Ellis Park) is interested in obtaining additional tracks, and Pegram tried to buy the Fairgrounds, and was interested in partnering up for a possible expansion of Los Alamitos (or obtaining others). The sooner these tracks are out of corporate conglomerate hands and into the hands of folks who love and will promote horse racing, the better off our sport will be!

Boomer
Old 09-13-2007, 11:25 AM   #3
silverfox

Magna

Look for Magna to go under,new stock will make old stock just about worthless.
silverfox is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-13-2007, 12:19 PM   #4
cj's dad

M A G N A

Managements
Attitude
Generates
Negative
Attendance
Old 09-13-2007, 12:39 PM   #5
DJofSD
Screw PC

Quote:
selling several of its racetracks, issuing new stock, and exploring partnerships for several real-estate projects
What a well-timed plan -- not!

Real estate is in a severe down turn and credit is tight. What chances are there to sell large tracks of land for development? If they are sold as a going interest, how will the deals be financed and by whom? And a secondary offering in this market -- good luck with that.
Old 09-13-2007, 12:54 PM   #6
garyoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJofSD
What a well-timed plan -- not!

Real estate is in a severe down turn and credit is tight. What chances are there to sell large tracks of land for development? If they are sold as a going interest, how will the deals be financed and by whom? And a secondary offering in this market -- good luck with that.
They should just chapter and reorganize. Best part is that debtholders will ultimately control the company--that is unless the biggest creditor is Magna because of all the cash advanced to MECA. Then Stronach would still call the shots.

Someone needs to tell Frankie to get a new gig. Strategic vision is not one of his assets.
garyoz is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-13-2007, 02:21 PM   #7
ceejay

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj's dad
Managements
Attitude
Generates
Negative
Attendance
So very true!
ceejay is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-13-2007, 09:34 PM   #8
Dan H

And so goes the Magna Five - one of my favorite bets - mostly because the PPs were free - not because I had any success.
Dan H is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-14-2007, 10:12 AM   #9
rrbauer
Both-hands Bettor

Going to use the proceeds to invest in subprime mortgages....
Old 09-14-2007, 10:22 AM   #10
silverfox

magna bankrupt

What magna is doing is simple,let frank get as much as he can before bankruptcy.Fact you owe $640,000,000 your stock is worth $200,000,000 what wall street believes company is worth,going bankrupt will give magna 3 to 4 years,make the old stock worthless and start over smaller and leaner with no debt.Sabie?
silverfox is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-14-2007, 10:51 AM   #11
cj's dad

Article on Magna - Baltimore Sun

If you go to the Baltimore Sun- www.baltimoresun.com - the business section has an article regarding Magna's plans.
Old 09-14-2007, 11:01 AM   #12
garyoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfox
What magna is doing is simple,let frank get as much as he can before bankruptcy.Fact you owe $640,000,000 your stock is worth $200,000,000 what wall street believes company is worth,going bankrupt will give magna 3 to 4 years,make the old stock worthless and start over smaller and leaner with no debt.Sabie?
That is not exactly correct. In classic financial analysis (Graham & Dodd) the value of the equity (stock) is the residual after long term debt obligations are met. Equity= value of assets - liabilities (actually more complicated than that). It is amazing that MECA isn't a penny stock.
garyoz is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-14-2007, 11:08 AM   #13
Bill Olmsted

Joe DeFrancis must be fallin' down on his knee praising the good Lord that he had the presence of mind to sell his majority stake in LRL and PIM to Magna "Entertainment."
Bill Olmsted is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-14-2007, 11:41 AM   #14
cj's dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Olmsted
Joe DeFrancis must be fallin' down on his knee praising the good Lord that he had the presence of mind to sell his majority stake in LRL and PIM to Magna "Entertainment."
Joe has no "presence of mind", his sister Karen is the "brains" of the outfit.
He is merely a leftover from his father's regime.
Old 09-14-2007, 12:12 PM   #15
Bill Olmsted

Didn't know that.
Bill Olmsted is offline   Reply With Quote Reply