Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Computers

Old 09-12-2006, 06:04 PM   #1
kitts

floppy disk issue

Now and then I use a floppy. Usually to copy a pdf and take it to Kinko's to print me up a hard copy. I think my floppy is dead. I can insert blank formatted disk, blank non-formatted disk, or disks that I used on this computer about two months back. On every disk I get a message "didk not formatted" and then it gives formatting options which it says it cannot do. The computer will not recognize any floppy . I think that my floppy is telling me the same thing the 4 horse said in race 3, "I'm tired and I wanna go to bed." Any ideas?

Kitts Anderson
Chairman, Oldguys Oasis
kitts is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-12-2006, 06:51 PM   #2
bigmack

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitts
Any ideas?
Blow-up your floppys and get a flash card.
They're laughably inexpensvie and will store more data than a boatload of flops

bigmack is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-12-2006, 06:52 PM   #3
the_fat_man
Veteran

Shut down your PC

Disconnect the floppy cables

Reconnect the floppy cables

Start Up your PC

See if PC recognizes 'new' hardware
the_fat_man is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-12-2006, 07:30 PM   #4
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_fat_man
Shut down your PC

Disconnect the floppy cables

Reconnect the floppy cables

Start Up your PC

See if PC recognizes 'new' hardware
most motherboards from the last two or three years or so won't work that way. floppy disks are controlled at the bios level.......

Get the flash card reader.......great choice.............a thumb drive will work just about anywhere..........
Old 09-12-2006, 07:33 PM   #5
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

I agree... on thumb drives.
Old 09-12-2006, 07:43 PM   #6
BillW
Comfortably Numb

If you opt to get a thumb drive, make sure your computer has a USB interface first.

If the floppy era overlapped the USB era, it wasn't by much.
BillW is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-12-2006, 09:44 PM   #7
michiken

1. Did you install a new AV or AV Update? Sometimes when you run Norton or Symantec:

- Floppy drive access may be disabled by these programs in order to prevent the spread of viruses.

- Try a Google search 'Antivirus disabled floppy drive' to see if you can find a clue how to fix this.

2. Also try right clicking on My Computer and Choose Properties. Look in the devices and delete Floppy Disk.

Switch over to the Configuration or Troubleshooting Tab. Make Sure that 'search for a new floppy drive is checked'.

3. Restart the PC and see if Windoz finds the floppy on re-boot.

Last edited by michiken; 09-12-2006 at 09:45 PM.
michiken is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-14-2006, 01:55 PM   #8
kitts

Thanks for all the replies. I did upgrade Norton in July so I did the uncheck the floppy thing. I went to device manager and removed the floppy. Could not find "search for new floppy" option but did "enable" the floppy that is now "working properly." I did not try the disconnect/reconnect cables since I am so inept mechanically (friends buy me furniture just to watch me try to assemble.)

Floppy still not working but I use it rarely and my external CD works fine.

At least we tried.

Kitts Anderson
Chairman, Oldguys Oasis
kitts is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-14-2006, 04:16 PM   #9
Dave Schwartz

Kitts,

If the floppy is really dead (and you really miss it), $12-15 will buy you a new one in a computer store. And putting it in is a snap.

Thumb drive is much better, though.

Dave
Dave Schwartz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-15-2006, 02:04 PM   #10
46zilzal
velocitician

buy a THESAURUS. not everything is a goddamned ISSUE.

There are problems, difficulties, etc.......
46zilzal is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-15-2006, 02:29 PM   #11
Ponyplayr

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46zilzal
buy a THESAURUS. not everything is a goddamned ISSUE.

There are problems, difficulties, etc.......
Is your Girdle putting your gonads in a bind? Get a dictionary!
Ponyplayr is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-15-2006, 03:04 PM   #12
46zilzal
velocitician

OVERUSED WORD

noun

1. The act or process of publishing printed matter: printing, publication, publishing. See words.
2. Something brought about by a cause: aftermath, consequence, corollary, effect, end product, event, fruit, harvest, outcome, precipitate, ramification, result, resultant, sequel, sequence, sequent, upshot. See cause/effect.
3. A group consisting of those descended directly from the same parents or ancestors: brood, get, offspring, posterity, progeny, seed. See kin.
4. A situation that presents difficulty, uncertainty, or perplexity: hornets' nest, problem, question. Informal can of worms. See easy/hard.

verb

1. To pass or pour out: discharge, empty, flow. See enter/exit.
2. To discharge material, as vapor or fumes, usually suddenly and violently: emit, give, give forth, give off, give out, let off, let out, release, send forth, throw off, vent. See free/unfree, move/halt.
3. To come into view: appear, emerge, loom, materialize, show. Idioms: makeput inan appearance, meet the eye. See see/not see.
4. To have hereditary derivation: derive, descend, spring. Idioms: trace one's descent. See kin.
5. To present for circulation, exhibit, or sale: bring out, publish, put out. See words.
6. To have as a source: arise, come, derive, emanate, flow, originate, proceed, rise, spring, stem, upspring. See start/end.
Old 09-15-2006, 04:18 PM   #13
traveler

Overused word "ABSOLUTELY"

Hey 46,

I am sure some aren't seeing the humor in your post but I am. I have a drooling moron for a boss(not saying anyone here is or the question about the dead floppy) and everything he says starts with - "what the real isssue is". Someday I'm gonna snap. How about every salesman and sports commentator saying "absolutely" every 2 seconds. Oh well, it's Friday and I'm here until 8 tonight. Time to waste some more company time and work on my excell spreadsheet of horse results and my stock portfolio.
traveler is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-15-2006, 04:31 PM   #14
46zilzal
velocitician

honorable mentions: "like" "you know" "you know what I mean?" or "that point in time" when THEN would suffice?
Old 09-15-2006, 05:41 PM   #15
headhawg
crusty old guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46zilzal
OVERUSED WORD

noun

1. The act or process of publishing printed matter: printing, publication, publishing. See words.
2. Something brought about by a cause: aftermath, consequence, corollary, effect, end product, event, fruit, harvest, outcome, precipitate, ramification, result, resultant, sequel, sequence, sequent, upshot. See cause/effect.
3. A group consisting of those descended directly from the same parents or ancestors: brood, get, offspring, posterity, progeny, seed. See kin.
4. A situation that presents difficulty, uncertainty, or perplexity: hornets' nest, problem, question. Informal can of worms. See easy/hard.

verb

1. To pass or pour out: discharge, empty, flow. See enter/exit.
2. To discharge material, as vapor or fumes, usually suddenly and violently: emit, give, give forth, give off, give out, let off, let out, release, send forth, throw off, vent. See free/unfree, move/halt.
3. To come into view: appear, emerge, loom, materialize, show. Idioms: makeput inan appearance, meet the eye. See see/not see.
4. To have hereditary derivation: derive, descend, spring. Idioms: trace one's descent. See kin.
5. To present for circulation, exhibit, or sale: bring out, publish, put out. See words.
6. To have as a source: arise, come, derive, emanate, flow, originate, proceed, rise, spring, stem, upspring. See start/end.
Overused Words

Your posts.