Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 03-27-2006, 03:33 AM   #1
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Dubai World Cup Coverage on ABC

So I get this call from my parents, who are casual racing fans (they watch the big races, and thats about it....probably only out of respect for me....lol).....

Dad - "Did you see the races today on tv? They looked so weird, almost like a video game!!??"

Having not seen the coverage at that point, I didn't really know how to respond to such an odd statement. When I finally got around to watching the tape, I concluded he was right! It did sort of look like a video game, with the "pace" camera that travels alongside the runners and mega-closeups....angles we are not used to seeing on American racing coverage.

Although it is difficult at times to follow the pack with the kind of angle they were using at the world cup, overall I liked it....I know that type of coverage has been used sparingly in America, and that's why it looked odd to my parents....but I wish they would utilize the ride-along camera more often here at home.

I thought ABC did a great job presenting the Dubai World Cup (to my knowledge, this is the first time this day of racing has been shown on network TV). Of course, production values tend to be better on non-live events due to editing, but with all the bashing lately of ESPN, I thought I'd drop my 2 cents on something I viewed as a positive....
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-27-2006, 04:10 AM   #2
Suff
Beat up 💪

now we have to listen to more mumbo jumbo about how Dettori can ride?

Foolish bastard.

He could'nt ride an MTA Bus.

Sand.......sand. sand.

Last edited by Suff; 03-27-2006 at 04:16 AM.
Suff is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-27-2006, 10:15 AM   #3
gillenr
Optimist

PA

My wife agreed with you & your Pop about the "game" thing, but I didn't - but I've been watching Dubai all season.
gillenr is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-27-2006, 01:00 PM   #4
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

I liked the overhead shots - which we could get them here.
Old 03-27-2006, 01:39 PM   #5
the_fat_man
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom
I liked the overhead shots - which we could get them here.
Absolutely! Those shots are incredible. Clear insight as to who's drafting and the action 'between' horses.
the_fat_man is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-27-2006, 01:49 PM   #6
Valuist

Either ESPN or ABC has used the overhead shots on Derby Day. That's the only time I've ever seen them used here. It would be great if we could have those views on all races.
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-27-2006, 02:55 PM   #7
toetoe
Veteran

Those tracking shots from ahead and just over the rail are very weird. I think some people love it when life imitates video games.
toetoe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-27-2006, 03:10 PM   #8
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by toetoe
Those tracking shots from ahead and just over the rail are very weird. I think some people love it when life imitates video games.
I thought they were very cool, if only from a visual sense, not a horseplayer sense....

Those kinds of angles might just get people to come back and watch the next time, as it definitely brings you 'into' the action like no other shot in racing (and this includes the silly 'helmet cams').
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-27-2006, 04:16 PM   #9
rastajenk
Just Deplorable

I agree, I thought it was very well done. Smooth and clean. And when they went around a turn the shot widened to include the whole field, and when they straightened out it tightened up. Next they need to enhance the sound somehow so you can hear the pinheads chirping and yelling.
rastajenk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-27-2006, 04:18 PM   #10
Richie

they used those shots for the breeders cup at woodbine, I loved them, most hated them. They were never used again for the bc.
Richie is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-27-2006, 04:20 PM   #11
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

What a tool for trip handciapping!

I think I remeber the Derby shots....come to think of it, hope there is no TENNIS on Derby day this year! Or cuban spitball!
Old 03-27-2006, 04:48 PM   #12
surfdog89

Never thought the tradtional way was bad........ if not broken do't fix it.
surfdog89 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-27-2006, 07:35 PM   #13
DJofSD
Screw PC

Ugg - I hate the overhead shot. You can't see how a horse is running. All you can tell is where it is relative to the rest of the field. I'm more interested in seeing how well it is traveling, if it has it's ears pricked or tail flagging, does it appear to be laboring, is the head held high perhaps against the bit, etc. You can't see any of that if you looking down from on high.
DJofSD is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-27-2006, 10:39 PM   #14
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJofSD
Ugg - I hate the overhead shot. You can't see how a horse is running. All you can tell is where it is relative to the rest of the field. I'm more interested in seeing how well it is traveling, if it has it's ears pricked or tail flagging, does it appear to be laboring, is the head held high perhaps against the bit, etc. You can't see any of that if you looking down from on high.
It's great for the rerun, not the main feed. I agree. The view lets you see trouble, wide trips, etc, that the traditional shots cover up. I would not like it to be the only view.
Old 03-27-2006, 11:58 PM   #15
Ron

Whatever happened to the "cameras on horses" that was touted a few years ago?
Ron is offline   Reply With Quote Reply