Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapping Software

Old 01-03-2006, 03:27 AM   #1
traynor

commission???

This is a question from personal curiosity, and is not intended to be derogatory in any way. Does anyone know how much commission is paid to software developers by data providers? I am particularly curious about All-Ways, which seems to require special files that don't work on other software, and costs considerably more for the subscription. Anyone have any information on this topic?
Good Luck
traynor is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-03-2006, 12:31 PM   #2
Jeff P

Location: JCapper Platinum: Kind of like Deep Blue... but for horses.
Don't know if Frandsen Publishing has a special deal with Bris or not. For the rest of us I know that Bris does have a program where developers can link to the Bris site, and Bris will pay a token amount back to the developer when new account sign ups occur as a direct result of that link. I haven't bothered with this so far - mainly because it is such a small amount to begin with and almost all of my clients had either a Bris or TSN account before they ever came to me.

-jp

Old 01-03-2006, 01:02 PM   #3
garyoz

I am certain there is a revenue split with Frandsen and Bris. I also think that the terms are unlikely to ever to be made public. Remember that there is a free version of Allways available from Bris. No way that Gary Hall would give that away. There is a lot of marketing for Allways in magazines targeted at Horse Players. That could either be covered on a co-op basis or by Bris.

I think that shared revenues is pretty much the model that has evolved. Synergism VI orginally cost more than $500 dollars, but is free now and Bob Purdy refunded the purchase price to those of us who bought it in the form of lower cost data from HDW for a year (a very nice gesture). Also, HTR provides excellent software for free that uses HDW data on a monthly basis.

To me the terms of the revenue split isn't really any of my business. What is important is the end-user cost and of course, software performance.
garyoz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-03-2006, 02:14 PM   #4
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff P
Don't know if Frandsen Publishing has a special deal with Bris or not. For the rest of us I know that Bris does have a program where developers can link to the Bris site, and Bris will pay a token amount back to the developer when new account sign ups occur as a direct result of that link. I haven't bothered with this so far - mainly because it is such a small amount to begin with and almost all of my clients had either a Bris or TSN account before they ever came to me.

-jp

I don't think the amount is that small, it is 20% of any downloads the person makes, ever. I think I've had 15 people sign up and usually get around $100 a month. That is just since July I think. Certainly won't lead to an early retirement, but not a bad deal.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-03-2006, 02:31 PM   #5
Jeff P

20 percent? I seem to remember getting an email from John Broadbent offering me 3 percent.

-jp

Old 01-03-2006, 02:41 PM   #6
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Wow, mine is TSN, Harry Furlong or something like that. I get a check every month now, I think they send one if you are over $100 balance. Definitely it is 20%, I get an invoice with the check.

I think it was 10% unless I agreed not to advertise any other PP providers.
Old 01-03-2006, 02:48 PM   #7
Jeff P

I'm going to write them and see what they're offering now. The email I received was based on a Bris program and offered 3 percent. I wasn't even aware that TSN had a commission program.

Thanks.

-jp

Last edited by Jeff P; 01-03-2006 at 02:52 PM.
Jeff P is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-03-2006, 05:27 PM   #8
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

http://www.tsnhorse.com/cgi-bin/stat...ge=partnership

That is the link I used to get started. I'm guessing you probably found it by now.
Old 01-03-2006, 06:54 PM   #9
michiken

Why is it that the tsn and bris sites look identical? Is one a Ford and the other a Mercury?

Bris did offer me 20% to go exclusive but then they don't like my business model.....
Old 01-14-2006, 01:56 AM   #10
mainardi
Let's Pick Some Winners!

A Couple of Things...

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiken
Why is it that the tsn and bris sites look identical? Is one a Ford and the other a Mercury?
It's owned by the same parent company... name escapes me, though.
Need proof? Here are there addresses:
> BRIS - 801 Corporate Drive, 3rd Floor, Lexington, KY 40503
> TSN - 801 Corporate Drive, Suite 210, Lexington, KY 40503

As far as getting money from data providers, I had to make a choice between picking up a few bucks from them or use the Yahoo! Sponsored Search tool. I decided to go the Yahoo! route first, and I figure that I'm making more money this way... and as CJ said it "Certainly won't lead to an early retirement, but not a bad deal."

Joe Mainardi
www.ponypicker.com
mainardi is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-17-2006, 11:13 PM   #11
analyzer

3% versus 20%?

Jeff- Looks like it might be well worth your time to redo your algorithms based on TSN and Procap data, huh? Just thinking out loud.