Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 12-30-2005, 10:07 AM   #1
michiken

Boat Race?

I was at the local track yesterday and overheard someone describing a race as a ' boat race '.

What exactly is a ' boat race ' ?
Old 12-30-2005, 10:10 AM   #2
mikeb

Mich,

I don't know where the term originated,but it means that the race was set up"fixed"if you will.
Hope that helps.

hwnn.
mikeb is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-30-2005, 11:29 AM   #3
BIG49010

I always thought it was a race full of untalented horses? claiming 4k, cheap maidens, etc....
BIG49010 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-30-2005, 11:35 AM   #4
twindouble

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiken
I was at the local track yesterday and overheard someone describing a race as a ' boat race '.

What exactly is a ' boat race ' ?

I took it to mean it's a fix as said. Put a horse on the lead and let him sail home.
twindouble is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-30-2005, 11:39 AM   #5
keilan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG49010
I always thought it was a race full of untalented horses? claiming 4k, cheap maidens, etc....

ditto
keilan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-30-2005, 11:52 AM   #6
sjk

The week of the Derby they used to have a race between the Belle of Louisville and the Delta Queen. I always thought that one was fixed too.
sjk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-30-2005, 12:56 PM   #7
Achilles

Boat Race

In my experience, the term boat race is derived from sailboat racing where they use a "running" start and the first boat over the start line usually has an advantage that is maintained throughout the race. Not many sail boats can pass the boat ahead, because the leader is usually in a position where they can steal the air from a boat attempting to pass.

Similarly, in a horse race where none of the horses change their position, it's a boat race. It also implies a fix because no one appears to be trying to pass anyone.

-----Being unable to assume an initial premise with any tolerable degree of accuracy, I am loathe to assert a conclusion, fearful lest I should err.
Achilles is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-30-2005, 03:02 PM   #8
TimesTheyRAChangin
Fast Women & Slow Horses!

Over the past 40 years,whenever I've heard/used this expression,it was always in reference to how a race just seemed to plod along,with no conscious effort by any horse following the leader to pick up the pace by attempting a pass.Though it might have seemed like a fixed race,more often than not it was just a case of determination by the driver of the frontrunner to control the fractional times for the benefit of enabling his horse to score an easy win.
To fellow long time 'equine performance investors' who relish the Dark Side,this was akin to a slowmotion version of the old 'Indian File' type of racing ages ago.
TimesTheyRAChangin is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-30-2005, 03:20 PM   #9
TurfRuler

I always thought it was a race of slow runners...usually with speed figures of below par, when they can even run 6f in 1:12, they may be able to get 1:14 or higher. My next question before I saw this was how do you determine if a horse is a slow runner? We all know what speed is 1:06 or less for 6 1/2 on the downhill turf at Santa Anita.
TurfRuler is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-30-2005, 03:22 PM   #10
TravisVOX
Track Announcer

Over at the new NYRA board we term boats as NY Breds. One capper feels that whenever a NY Bred makes the lead, he's clear. Bad horses. I don't agree, in fact, my studies have revealed otherwise... but I've never heard boat as a way of being fixed.
TravisVOX is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-30-2005, 03:27 PM   #11
Capper Al

TurfPedia

www.turfpedia.com has it as a fixed race.
Capper Al is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-30-2005, 03:38 PM   #12
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Perhaps Charlestown and Mountaineer, in light the recent flood of cancelations, might consider carding "boat races!"
Old 12-30-2005, 03:53 PM   #13
kitts

Fixed race. I learned that the hard way. My bookie picked up on one at HOL and told me I should get in on the good thing. I did not and the horse won and paid $100. I was 21 then and learned a lesson but never heard of a boat race again. The nearest thing to it was in the '80s in No Calif called "steamers."

Kitts Anderson
Chairman, Oldguys Oasis
kitts is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-30-2005, 06:12 PM   #14
linrom1
Veteran

I have also heard the expression used to describe cheap, slow races where the race is wide open, in fact, opposite from a fixed race. Boat racing usually referred to boat rowing racing, a tradition in England.

Last edited by linrom1; 12-30-2005 at 06:14 PM.
linrom1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply