Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 06-28-2002, 11:20 PM   #1
rrbauer
Both-hands Bettor

Gary Stevens

I've been a fan for a long time, so this isn't easy.

Recently, Gary hasn't been able to finish on horses that should've won, but didn't.

On Sunday, Jun 23, in the 4th race, a 5.5f Turf event at HOL, he had dead aim while riding Outstanding Hero and tracking Ecstatic. Gary just couldn't get the job done. He had the best horse. He had the perfect tracking trip, but when it came time to get the money, he just seemed satisified with 2nd money, putting his whip away about 80 yds from the wire.

On Friday, Jun 28, in the 3rd race, a 1m Turf race at HOL, he had the length of the stretch to get by the notorious hanger, Ron Cherry, and couldn't get the job done. He lost in a head-bob, but from my perspective, he wasn't going to win anything if it was close. Dead aim = Dead 2nd.

It's hard for me to put serious money on this guy. I think his physical problems go beyond soreness and I think that his inability to bring home the bacon in recent races speaks to his problems.
Old 06-29-2002, 06:31 AM   #2
JimG

I agree with your insights regarding Stevens. It has been a number of years since betting on Stevens in other than a stakes race was a good idea.

It's truly sad to see. By the way, I am currently reading his autobiography which is really good. It is a recent release. Thanks to "Seabiscuit", we may see more books on horse racing and its personalities.

JimG
JimG is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-29-2002, 11:22 AM   #3
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

We used to call him "Go wide Gary" in anything other than a stakes race when I lived in Wyoming.

CJ
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply