Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 08-31-2005, 08:40 AM   #1
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Kennedy Blames Barbour and Bush For Katrina

This is the kind of crap that gets published now days. And some will actually believe this crap.........it is amazing what these left wing idiots get away with.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/robert...e-_b_6396.html
Old 08-31-2005, 09:46 AM   #2
ljb
Veteran

Just,
You have taken a simplified approach to this subject. The link suggests that Barbour and Bush's refusal to accept the fact that global warming is increased by the the release of co2. Accepting this would put pressure on fossil fuel suppliers and automobile companies. And we all know how the neocons revere corporate America. Now here is a quote from the column.
"Well, the science is clear. This month, a study published in the journal Nature by a renowned MIT climatologist linked the increasing prevalence of destructive hurricanes to human-induced global warming."
Again the neocons refuse to face reality and accept such tragedies as Katrina rather then do something which may have an adverse effect on corporate America's bottom line.
ljb is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-31-2005, 10:06 AM   #3
lsbets

That's funny, just last night I saw a Professor Gray from the Univ of Colorado on MSNBC and he said hurricanes go through cyclical cycles in terms of number and severity of storms, and that Katrina has nothing to do with global warming.

BTW - MSNBC referred to him as one of the leading hurricane experts in the country.
lsbets is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-31-2005, 11:09 AM   #4
ljb
Veteran

ls,
Yes I know there are experts on both sides of this topic. I am not saying my expert is better then your expert, I am just saying, there is some evidence that global warming is part of the cause of increased hurricanes. Rather then ignore this evidence we should consider it when we make decisions concerning the Kyoto agreement and other such things. We must be open minded about these type things.
This administration makes decisions much like corporate America based only on the bottom line.

Last edited by ljb; 08-31-2005 at 11:11 AM.
Old 08-31-2005, 11:13 AM   #5
lsbets

I am not saying anyone is my expert of not. I'm saying we don't know. Anyone who tries to say otherwise is full of it. We don't know.

Open minded? On a personal level I make choices everyday that I feel are good for the environment, but I don't want the government to force me to make those choices. A good example is once they deregulated electricity in Texas I switched to wind generated power even though it costs more. My choice to make, not the governments.
Old 08-31-2005, 11:17 AM   #6
ljb
Veteran

ls,
I have no argument with your last post.
Old 08-31-2005, 11:20 AM   #7
lsbets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljb
ls,
I have no argument with your last post.
I'll make sure not to go outside today, because I have a feeling lightning might strike.
Old 08-31-2005, 11:41 AM   #8
kenwoodallpromos

LJB

How does Bush raising the MPG for SUVs help the oil companies profit and cause global warming? You said he makes decisions based ONLY on the bottom line.
Old 08-31-2005, 08:18 PM   #9
ljb
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenwoodallpromos
How does Bush raising the MPG for SUVs help the oil companies profit and cause global warming? You said he makes decisions based ONLY on the bottom line.
Basically the law raising the MPG for Suvs is helpful to the Auto companies. A lousy 2 mpg in 6 years. gimme a break. I have no tie in to global warming and giving the auto companies a break. Don't know how you came up with that ?
Old 08-31-2005, 08:27 PM   #10
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

If anyone cause a hurriane, it was Teddy - that big bag of wind!

Actually, considering the proximity to Mexico, it might be related to that huge sucking sound Ross Perot spke about - our jobs going south!
Old 08-31-2005, 11:35 PM   #11
Lefty

Yeah, it's all GW's fault. He controls nature you know. If he'd signed the Kyoto traty well the hurricane wouldn't have happened.
What about Clinton? No hurricanes in his 8 yrs? Hmmmm?
Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-01-2005, 12:00 AM   #12
Steve 'StatMan'
Traded By Cubs

I don't have cable, but I caught Britt Hume's video clip on Fox. Cindy Sheehan is also publicly blaming "President Bush and his war machine" for Hurricane Katrina for similar reasons to Kennedy's.

He also showed 2 pictures, the first of a 'great private moment' of Cindy and Rev. Al Sharpton praying together over one of the small crosses (I'm guessing Casey's). Then they showed the 2nd photo of this, which shows at least 10-15 journalists, photographers, people with cameras and/or microphones on sticks, all crowded around them for what really amounted to a staged publicity stunt.
Steve 'StatMan' is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-01-2005, 12:22 AM   #13
schweitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve'StatMan'BTW
I don't have cable, but I caught Britt Hume's video clip on Fox. Cindy Sheehan is also publicly blaming "President Bush and his war machine" for Hurricane Katrina for similar reasons to Kennedy's.
A different opinion: www.techcentralstation.com/083105JKG.html
schweitz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-01-2005, 12:44 AM   #14
Secretariat

Quote:
Originally Posted by schweitz
C'mon Scheitz, at least post a scientist...American Enterprise Institute...this guy is basically a right wing lobbyist.

"James K. Glassman is a resident fellow at the American Enterprise Institute, a Washington public policy think tank, where he specializes in issues involving economics, technology and financial markets. He is also host of TechCentralStation.com, a public affairs website that concentrates on matters of technology and public policy. He is also chairman of Investors Action, a new advocacy organization for America's small investors."
Secretariat is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-01-2005, 12:47 AM   #15
Lefty

Scweitz, these libs just will not let themselves be confused by facts. In this, they are conistent just as they are consistent in their hatred of Bush.
From the article:
Giant hurricanes are rare, but they are not new. And they are not increasing. To the contrary. Just go to the website of the National Hurricane Center and check out a table that lists hurricanes by category and decade. The peak for major hurricanes (categories 3,4,5) came in the decades of the 1930s, 1940s and 1950s, when such storms averaged 9 per decade. In the 1960s, there were 6 such storms; in the 1970s, 4; in the 1980s, 5; in the 1990s, 5; and for 2001-04, there were 3. Category 4 and 5 storms were also more prevalent in the past than they are now. As for Category 5 storms, there have been only three since the 1850s: in the decades of the 1930s, 1960s and 1990s.

I guess the nat'l hurricane center is rightwing too.

Last edited by Lefty; 09-01-2005 at 12:50 AM.
Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote Reply