Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 07-31-2005, 09:44 AM   #1
turfbar
Veteran

Why is Bill Mott back on top?

Why is Bill Mott back on top. I had a coversation with a friend who had an insight on it,that I will tell later, but was curious to some feedback from PA forum.
Thanx
Turfbar
turfbar is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-31-2005, 10:26 AM   #2
Figman

Read the story "Poor Ol' Bob McNair" (Stonerside Stable).
It says that Mott has changed his training operation!
No more private track training.
http://tinyurl.com/7ts3v
Figman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-31-2005, 06:20 PM   #3
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

My spidey sense tells me it's going to be Turfbar's theory that Mott is "back on top" because of the crack down on "juicers" and new detention barn policies....if that's the case, expect me to jump back into this thread, because I will disagree with you Turfbar....

Moving this thread to "General Racing Discussion"
PaceAdvantage is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-31-2005, 06:25 PM   #4
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

So PA, how'd that investigation of the Dutrow/Rodriguez winners this meet go? Did you notice the change in modus operandi?

Case in point, 1st at Saratoga, winner was claimed for 40k, has run back and won twice, but both for lower prices with similar figures to pre-claim races.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-31-2005, 06:39 PM   #5
GeTydOn

It's not unusual for Dutrow runners to move up and down the claiming ladder. That outfit puts em where they belong for a win.
GeTydOn is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-31-2005, 06:39 PM   #6
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Haven't done any investigations yet. I find it curious though, that these guys continue to win at impressive rates, regardless of the class moves, both pre and post "crackdown."
Old 07-31-2005, 06:47 PM   #7
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Fair enough, but there is a big difference in claiming horses and stepping them up and having them win races than there is in claiming horses and dropping them and having them win races. Heck, the guy everyone hates did this all the time and was crucified for it.

Of course its not unusual for him to move horses up and down, but what has happened to the "miracle" improvements that always seemed to be caused by fixing horse's backs or breathing problems? Did those procedures suddenly stop working at Belmont?
Old 07-31-2005, 06:54 PM   #8
GeTydOn

I don't know what "miracles" you speak of. But Dutrow is one of the rare claiming trainers who will reach in and claim a horse then bench that horse for whatever length of time. He'll drop for the win, he'll raise for the win. Bottom line, his win-percent has remained solid at a time when many people probably expected a big ol goose egg.
Old 07-31-2005, 06:55 PM   #9
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Good poiints CJ. However, what we usually see in cases like this, is that the outfit simply fades into obscurity, never to be heard from again in any meaningful way....
Old 07-31-2005, 06:58 PM   #10
GeTydOn

Meanwhile back to Mott: Is it really that odd for a trainer to cycle in-and-out of form? It happens to many in many facits of this wild game. But the real question is: Is Mott really back on top? Combine Dutrow & Rodriquez at Belmont Spring and they ran away with the meet over what would have been a close race for 2nd.
Old 07-31-2005, 07:00 PM   #11
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeTydOn
I don't know what "miracles" you speak of. But Dutrow is one of the rare claiming trainers who will reach in and claim a horse then bench that horse for whatever length of time. He'll drop for the win, he'll raise for the win. Bottom line, his win-percent has remained solid at a time when many people probably expected a big ol goose egg.
If you don't know of the miracles I speak of, I don't know which horse racing you have been following. For at least a year, I witnessed Dutrow claim horses and immediately ascend the ladder, earning much higher figures from Beyer, TG, and about anyone else I can think of. Maybe they just can't find anymore horses with bad backs!

You are correct PA, these types usually go away. I guess it depends if they still make the owners money.

By the way, how is Bobby Frankel doing this year?
Old 07-31-2005, 07:39 PM   #12
CryingForTheHorses
In Front

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
My spidey sense tells me it's going to be Turfbar's theory that Mott is "back on top" because of the crack down on "juicers" and new detention barn policies....if that's the case, expect me to jump back into this thread, because I will disagree with you Turfbar....

Moving this thread to "General Racing Discussion"
Here we go with the "juice" crap again!
PA This man is a remarkable trainer and just didnt have the stock he has had in previous years,Nowadays its kind of amusing to see the sales results, ALL the top owners competing against each other to see who can gobble up the choice babies,Bill has got the stock this year.I am still not convinced a "Milkshake" will make your horse win,WHAT if every horse in a certain race had a milkshake? If you dont have the horse..you arent going to win!!.I know this guy , I know how he runs his shed, Hell I even worked in the same shed as him when he worked for Jack Vanberg in Chicago, To even think the so called"Juicers" had something to do with this, I think its a wrong view.
CryingForTheHorses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-31-2005, 07:41 PM   #13
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

I think we agree McSchell (although, I can't be absolutely sure....LOL)

And if turfbar doesn't come back on this thread and say he thinks Bill Mott is "back on top" again because of the crack down on juicers, then this will all be for naught....LOL
Old 07-31-2005, 07:46 PM   #14
CryingForTheHorses
In Front

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
Haven't done any investigations yet. I find it curious though, that these guys continue to win at impressive rates, regardless of the class moves, both pre and post "crackdown."
Geeze PA!! Think Evil Do Evil!
I bet his vet bill looks like as Jackie Collins novel
CryingForTheHorses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-31-2005, 07:48 PM   #15
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSchell_Racing
Geeze PA!! Think Evil Do Evil!
I bet his vet bill looks like as Jackie Collins novel
I'm not sure I follow. In any event, McSchell, I think we agree, although I'm not sure you're seeing it this way....LOL