Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 06-01-2005, 02:14 PM   #1
Suff
Beat up 💪

Mullins & Jay Hovdey are sleeping together?

This is what George Bush asked Newsweek to do after the Koran debacle.

Write a "puff piece"?.

Quote:
Just 24 hours earlier, the Mullins outfit was shaken by the death of All the Boys, an 8-year-old gelding who had hauled the mail for four different trainers from coast to coast through a career of 33 starts. Since last February, All the Boys had called the Mullins barn home, winning two of three starts.

"The worst thing about it," Mullins said, "he'd become the stable pet."

Big mistake, getting attached to the old battlers, especially when they are owned by action guys like Robert Bone, one of the Mullins stable stalwarts, who had claimed All the Boys for $50,000.

Strangest thing, though. All the Boys was no longer Mullins's business, and he knew it. The horse had been claimed - clients represented by trainer Gary Mandella won a bitter shake - but there was Mullins anyway, holding All the Boys and stroking his neck while the ambulance backed into place
http://www.drf.com/drfNewsArticle.do?NID=65481
Its nice to have friends in high places. An 8 year old gelding that Mullins trained. For how long? Three months! He's the new "stable pet"?
Hovdey uses's it as PR machine for Mullins tattered persona

Suff note: The other bum mentioned in the story... The owner ,Robert Bones? He's the guy that gave Santa Anita racing fans the finger! (from the safety of the Paddock) when they were heckling Mullins two days after he called them Idiots to an LA Times Reporter.

Jay Hovdey (DRF) does a Mother Thersea piece here.. I wonder what he got? Perhaps the surgery schedule from Mullins Vet?

Jay...

Mullins admitted he don't gamble, therefore he don't buy the DRF. Horse "players" do.

Last edited by PaceAdvantage; 06-01-2005 at 03:41 PM.
Suff is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-01-2005, 02:26 PM   #2
Suff
Beat up 💪

last paragraph

Jay...

forget it. Propaganda brings out the worst in me. Where do you get an honest reporter nowadays? They're all with the "corporation"
Old 06-01-2005, 02:33 PM   #3
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

I read the article this morning at work, almost tossed my pop tarts, what a joke.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-01-2005, 03:05 PM   #4
Suff
Beat up 💪

I'm all good in the hood.

for Mullins: Dues is dues....gotta pay. Big boys, big rules.

for Hovdey: Why? Its not news worthy and its so blatantly a SUCK UP PIECE it borders on a Mullin's Press Release.
Old 06-01-2005, 03:19 PM   #5
Zman179
Registered Wacko

Realistically, I'm sure that Mullins could care less what the fans think about him regardless of the piece printed.

And for Suff: NEVER, NEVER confuse the DRF with objective journalism. You'll need to buy a real newspaper for that.
Zman179 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-01-2005, 03:39 PM   #6
Suff
Beat up 💪

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zman179
Realistically, I'm sure that Mullins could care less what the fans think about him regardless of the piece printed.

And for Suff: NEVER, NEVER confuse the DRF with objective journalism. You'll need to buy a real newspaper for that.

true and true.
Old 06-01-2005, 03:43 PM   #7
Suff
Beat up 💪

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenwoodallpromos
How is Mullins involved in a bitter shake? Was that a bitter milkshake that killed the horse?

When more than one Barn is trying to Claim a Horse, they shake the Pill Box and pull a Name. Thats who gets it. There must of been some "shenanigans" that got the people heated.

News out of Southern California is that there are 3+ barns claiming the last of the good horses left. Everytime one of them shows up in a race the world is very small there.

Last edited by Suff; 06-01-2005 at 03:44 PM.
Old 06-01-2005, 03:44 PM   #8
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

What's the big deal? Why can't someone report on another side to the guy? Does everything that is reported have to be gloom and doom for you whack jobs? (And I use the term "whack jobs" in the kindest way)

We've all read about the bad and the ugly about Mullins for quite some time now. What's a little equal time? I don't see the problem. At least this article was a bit interesting, and not a freakin rehash of the same ol' shit about Mullins and company.

Sometimes I wonder about you people....I really do....
PaceAdvantage is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-01-2005, 03:47 PM   #9
Suff
Beat up 💪

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
What's the big deal? Why can't someone report on another side to the guy? Does everything that is reported have to be gloom and doom for you whack jobs? (And I use the term "whack jobs" in the kindest way)

Pipe Down Storm Trooper.
Old 06-01-2005, 03:51 PM   #10
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Yeah, this ain't about NYRA, go mind your own business!
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-01-2005, 04:03 PM   #11
Zman179
Registered Wacko

Quote:

We've all read about the bad and the ugly about Mullins for quite some time now. What's a little equal time? I don't see the problem. At least this article was a bit interesting, and not a freakin rehash of the same ol' shit about Mullins and company.

Gloom & doom makes for livelier debate, you numbskull (and I use "numbskull" in the kindest way")
Old 06-01-2005, 04:27 PM   #12
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

This isn't lively enough for you?
Old 06-01-2005, 04:43 PM   #13
Suff
Beat up 💪

Quote:
This isn't lively enough for you?

PA...

I get you. ... No one likes a crank. Finding fault with everything. Gotcha. I agree. But this group , the SoCal group, these "insular" guys,,, Including Hovdey....are not out of the woods with me.

Sure they could care less.... They're ringing the cash register. They'll only ask me a ?? when they're broke. Thats how these muffs operate.

I'm just watching...and keeping an eye on the headlights. I see this piece as "damage control" for SoCal racing. Mullins in particular.

I don't want --Mary had a little lamb,--- My porridge is to cold,---- articles in the DRF. I can go to the WWW sites of the Barns if I want the Koolaid.

I don't buy the DRF to fund the Public Relations Dept of the CHRB, or the Jeff Mullins barn.

Last edited by Suff; 06-01-2005 at 04:45 PM.
Old 06-01-2005, 04:49 PM   #14
Zman179
Registered Wacko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suff
I don't want --Mary had a little lamb,--- My porridge is to cold,---- articles in the DRF. I can go to the WWW sites of the Barns if I want the Koolaid.

I don't buy the DRF to fund the Public Relations Dept of the CHRB, or the Jeff Mullins barn.
Well that's what you get with DRF. It's considered a trade paper and trade papers simply do not report against what they usually cover. You will never read an exclusive scoop in the DRF that could tarnish racing, they'll only report about it after the fact.
After all, if racing becomes tarnished, then fewer people will go to the races, which means fewer people will want to buy the DRF, which means fewer revenues for DRF. And DRF's parent company does NOT want to hear about that.

Last edited by Zman179; 06-01-2005 at 04:55 PM.
Old 06-01-2005, 04:53 PM   #15
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Jeff Mullins doesn't seem, to me at least, to be the kind of guy that needs puff pieces written about him. He's content to thumb his nose at the fans and/or the industry, and keep on going.

What the hell does he need Hovdey to write a puff piece about him for? Are owners leaving him in droves? He just won the Grade 1 Shoemaker with Castledale over the weekend, on the turf. I doubt he's crying himself to sleep at night....