Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 02-26-2005, 10:17 PM   #1
The Hawk

Belated kudos to NYRA

I don't remember seeing anyone else post about this, so if they did, forgive me, but I think NYRA's decision to ban several offshore sites should be applauded. Those outlets represented a fairly good-sized chunk of their daily handle, and while Hayward's decision was the right one, it was also one that a lot of guys wouldn't have had the nerve to make. I know it was in their best interests but I would like to think they also had the everyday player in mind when this decision was made.
The Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-26-2005, 11:38 PM   #2
Zaf
Pace Cappa

Which Sites ???

ZAFONIC
Old 02-27-2005, 12:08 AM   #3
Suff
Beat up 💪

Quote:
Originally Posted by zafonic
Which Sites ???

ZAFONIC
http://www1.nyra.com/aqueduct/news.asp?id=1515&track=A
The New York Racing Association announced today that it is terminating its simulcast agreements with the four active sites named in last week's 88-count indictment from the U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of New York. They are: Euro Off-Track, located on the Isle of Man in the United Kingdom, International Racing Group, Inc. and Elite Turf Club, both located on Curacao in the Netherlands Antilles and Tonkawa Indian Reservation in Oklahoma.

The four sites were notified in writing and the contracts will terminate effective Monday. The fifth site named, Racing Services, Inc. in North Dakota, is separately under indictment and is no longer in operation.

"In addition to this immediate action, NYRA is undertaking an aggressive and expedited review of a number of selected secondary pari-mutuel organizations," said NYRA President and CEO Charles Hayward. "We will take decisive action in an ongoing effort to ensure that access to our pari-mutuel pools passes the strictest test of transparency and integrity. We fully understand that the economic impact of this decision will be damaging to our bottom line, but the integrity of NYRA's pari-mutuel pools leaves no room for compromise."
Suff is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-27-2005, 12:22 AM   #4
Suff
Beat up 💪

I think they've taken similiar action with a few more sites subsequent to this press release of 1-18-05.
Old 02-27-2005, 01:20 AM   #5
dumpdog

Belated??? I'm sorry but the NYRA has been so screwed up for so long that I cannot give them the benifit of doubt. I love NY racing but the politics of the management have been terrible. The only reason they stopped anything was because of arrests or indictments. I know the racing secretary is beyond reproach. I know none of his people but I have no reason to think they are not upright officials. The thing with the tellers has been a well known scam. The owners/big bettors (Sandy for one) who have profited from rebates etc. and used (rumored ) unethical practices have been so often discussed that its not even a revealation any more. I would hate to see the State take over since they make Enron look ethical. Sorry but the future of racing in NY does not look good.
dumpdog is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-27-2005, 09:48 AM   #6
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Here they come.
Old 02-27-2005, 10:44 AM   #7
The Hawk

Dumpdog, all of what you say may be true, but whatever the impetus was for this particular decision, it was a good one. If the decision was made with the sole intention of benefiting NYRA it was an odd one, since they effectively shut off sources that accounted for around 10% of their daily handle. Even if that were the case, which I don't believe, the residual effect is that the everyday horseplayer benefits.
The Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-27-2005, 10:52 AM   #8
aaron

I feel the NYRA is misguided in cutting off their off shore business.The problem is not with the bettors,but with the testing and all other infractions the NYRA has overlooked for years.The bettors who are part of the infractions will find a place to bet.At least,when the were betting off shore there was a paper trail.I bet they won't make that mistake again.
aaron is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-27-2005, 11:09 AM   #9
Figman

Dear Aaron,
It is you that is misguided. The problem with offshore betting is that THERE IS NO PAPER TRAIL despite what the offshore provider may tell the customer. There is also NO REGULATION nor protection for the bettor! It IS for someone that likes to "play with fire."

As far as NYRA having a problem with testing, if you are referring to drug testing NYRA is not involved. All drug testing is done at Cornell University under contract to the State regulator and Dr. George Maylin and Cornell University has the best reputation in the world for equine drug testing and also Dr. Maylin has more available tests than any other institution.
Figman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-27-2005, 12:08 PM   #10
aaron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figman
Dear Aaron,
It is you that is misguided. The problem with offshore betting is that THERE IS NO PAPER TRAIL despite what the offshore provider may tell the customer. There is also NO REGULATION nor protection for the bettor! It IS for someone that likes to "play with fire."

As far as NYRA having a problem with testing, if you are referring to drug testing NYRA is not involved. All drug testing is done at Cornell University under contract to the State regulator and Dr. George Maylin and Cornell University has the best reputation in the world for equine drug testing and also Dr. Maylin has more available tests than any other institution.
Figman,
The problem customers have with offshore betting was not what was being questioned.To me that is a "Buyer Beware" circumstance and has nothing to do with the NYRA.The NYRA has turned down business,but not in the interest of its customers.
We are all "big boys" and recognize the dangers of off shore betting.
If you think the NYRA cares about its customers,you are sadly mistaken.
Case in point:Yesterday's 5th race-bettors involved in the early pick four who were alive with the 4/5 favorite were treated with a new and novel way to lose.The horse was declared a non starter and no pick four consolation was paid,even though a pick 3 consolation was paid and all other pools were refunded.
As for drug testing,answer one question for me-Why has it taken over 10 years to institute testing for milk shakes,when the harness races have had horse tested for 10 years.Did NYRA think thoroghbreeds weren't sucepitable to milk shakes.
Figman, To further prove my point,I would like you to spend a day at Aquduct in the winter to see how fan friendly the NYRA is.Use the new betting machines, or try betting with tellers and let me know what you think.
Old 02-27-2005, 12:45 PM   #11
Figman

Why was yesterday's fifth race NYRA's fault? The stewards followed the "national" rule as they are directed to do with the pick four and the superfecta. There is a Pick-3 New York State Racing and Wagering Board rule. There is NO Pick-4 rule nor is there a superfecta thoroughbred rule. When there is no promulgated state rules regarding the newer type wagers, there is a state rule that directs to use the national or ARCI model rule. The national rulemakers are ARCI and NAPRA. The joint ARCI-NAPRA model rules are accessible on the Internet at the ARCI, NAPRA or the University of Arizona Racetrack Industry program websites. For the Pick (n) the rule is a horse removed from the wagering AFTER the wager closes, the money goes to the post time favorite. Why is NYRA at fault?
Figman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-27-2005, 01:12 PM   #12
Suff
Beat up 💪

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figman
Why was yesterday's fifth race NYRA's fault??
In one word. Yes. What was the rulling? "unfair advantage" The following race my horse was pushed 5 wide by a rank horse... that was "unfair" also.

I had Curlys Pride. Bet him at 6-1. After the ruling he paid 9 bucks.

No explanation.. No nothing. And even when NYRA put something up on the site they gave no explanantion. Gate opened fine. The horse dwelt. Happeens all the time? I have'nt checked the NYPOST today.. Probably something in there. Asst Starter have a Hold of him? I watched the reply 5 times. I saw nothing.

NYRA refunded $567,000 at an average take of 18%.... Thats alot of Gross Proceeds NYRA forfieted/ I'm sure Mr Hayward got a Thorough explanation of what happened. But me? Nothing. Aggravates me.
Old 02-27-2005, 01:25 PM   #13
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

I agree wtih Suff...there was no apparent fault with he gate, and the horse did eventuially leave and run. Unless the starter impeded his break, I think those betting the winner got hosed. Aqu should have given some explaination.
Old 02-27-2005, 01:42 PM   #14
aaron

Figman,
Is there anything that NYRA should be held responsiable for?
Are they responsible for bringing in betting machines that are barely functional?
Are they responsiable for the piegons that inhabit the 3rd floor?
Are they responsible for having inept stewards?
Are they responsible for not instituting drug testing until now?
Are they responsible for not cleaning up the cocker roaches in their facility?
Are they responsible for only having 4 better windows open with tellers on the third floor?
The NYRA does have very receptive customer service people.The problem with NYRA is that customer service is just a term and the people in charge have no desire to change anything.
Barry Schwartz tried,but you may have noticed he is gone.
Now NYRA blames everything on Elliot Spitzer,its not their fault because they have no responsiability.
The best thing that be said about NYRA is that the racing is still good,but that seems to be the case no matter who is in charge.
One question-Does anyone know why John Imbriale retired?
I'm sure the NYRA was not responsible for his retiring?
By the way Figman,when was the last time you were at Aquduct?
Old 02-27-2005, 02:11 PM   #15
the little guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom
I agree wtih Suff...there was no apparent fault with he gate, and the horse did eventuially leave and run. Unless the starter impeded his break, I think those betting the winner got hosed. Aqu should have given some explaination.
This absolutely fights in the face of logic. How could NYRA have wanted to refund over a half a million dollars in wagers? Even if, with most money bet at simulcast outlets, their average cut was 5% ( a lowball estimate ), this flat out cost them over $25,000. And, if you look at the overall picture, the money was refunded on a 4-5 shot, so overall, the public was far better served by the refunding.

Truth be told, NYRA should be applauded for protecting the public from gate hishaps, not condemned. They are one of the few tracks I have ever seen do this. First of all, if you watched the head on carefully, as I did, you will see that the assistant starter lifted his hand from that horse after the start, and much later than the other starters did. I am 100% certain they consulted with the gate crew before refunding the money, and if you actually think that specific starter was happy to admit his mistake, you're somewhere near the planet Pluto.

If you want to call this sucking up to NYRA, go right ahead, but all that would show is you're not looking at the situation objectively.
the little guy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply