Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 02-12-2005, 02:09 PM   #1
Doc

Prices way, way up for '05 Belmont Stakes

Read this and weep, racing fans. It probably pays to stay home or just to bet the race at a simulcast outlet....

By JERRY BOSSERT
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

It's more for less at this year's Belmont Stakes as the New York Racing Association has raised prices for the June 11 Belmont Stakes and also banned bringing in alcohol.

Ticket prices, which include admission, will range from $20 to $110. Last year the top ticket, including admission, was just $45.

General admission was $2 but now will be $10. Clubhouse admission jumped from $5 to $20.

Coolers still will be allowed in the backyard area as long as they contain no alcohol or glass containers.

The move to ban alcohol, according to the NYRA, is in the interest of patron safety and an attempt to make sure that people drink responsibly.

There were plenty of fights in the backyard at last year's Belmont.

Belmont still will be serving alcohol to those who want to purchase it, but many will be proofed to eliminate underage drinking. Beers at Belmont range from $4.50 to $5.25.

Seats for the final leg of the Triple Crown will be offered through a lottery. Applications for seats now are available on line at www.nyra.com and those who ordered seats last year will receive applications in the mail. Applications must be postmarked by Feb. 28 in order to receive the highest priority for seat assignment. "We had a record 120,139 people attend the Belmont Stakes last year, when Birdstone stopped Smarty Jones from becoming racing's 12th Triple Crown winner," said NYRA president and CEO Charles Hayward. "It is hard to imagine a 2005 Belmont that could rival (that) excitement ... so we are expecting attendance to be lower this year. But the Belmont Stakes experience will be more comfortable and enjoyable ..."
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-12-2005, 02:13 PM   #2
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Wow, those are some pretty steep increases. It won't matter if there is a horse with a shot at the Triple Crown, but otherwise...
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-12-2005, 06:08 PM   #3
The Hawk

I was thinking the same thing, CJ. If they get a Derby/Preakness winner it's a home run but otherwise this could backfire. It is an overdue move, though. They were selling themselves short at the old prices.
The Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-12-2005, 06:46 PM   #4
the little guy

But the tickets will already be sold so it won't matter if there's a TC horse or not. And, as far as the admission prices, I really doubt many ( if any ) people won't go because they think the admission is too high. Mostly, people have been shocked at low it is.
the little guy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-12-2005, 07:46 PM   #5
Bubbles
Frontrunner

[QUOTE=Doc]The move to ban alcohol, according to the NYRA, is in the interest of patron safety and an attempt to make sure that people drink responsibly.

There were plenty of fights in the backyard at last year's Belmont. [QUOTE]

I can attest to both. During one incident, two drunkards, couldn't have been much more than 20, were mock-wrestling, and almost knocked over a very-pregnant woman. Idiots, and a good move by management.

Back on topic, I agree with those who say it's gonna be huge or non-existant for Belmont. Figure 100,000 for a TC chance, not even a third that for a non-TC year. Big gap, to say the least.
Old 02-12-2005, 10:10 PM   #6
The Hawk

True, TLG, but I was referring to the walk-up. I think you'll lose a lot of the casual younger fans who would go as as a group and make a day of it for $2 but who will balk at the $10. I think that, combined with the new alcohol policy (also overdue but kudos to Hayward), will cut attendance figures, but it's debatable how much those fans will be missed, in more ways than one.
Old 02-12-2005, 10:28 PM   #7
the little guy

I'm not sure I agree. $10 is just so little these days. hell, that's what it costs to go to the movies.

I also agree about the booze. It is kind of funny coming from Charlie, however.
Old 02-12-2005, 10:30 PM   #8
the little guy

And yer right, I sure wouldn't miss them. And let's face it, if they were paying $2 a pop, the gain with the new prices will much more than make up for the loss, even if it's 20,000.
Old 02-12-2005, 10:31 PM   #9
GeTydOn

Anyone know Derby & Preakness pricing for interesting comparison?? These prices are probably fair. Just seems startling because it's been so cheap for so long. Can't really blame them for the price adjustment. There have been so many Derby-Preakness winners lately. And based on trainer patterns that trend seems it could become the norm. Seriously doubt people are going to walk away from the gates or not go. Big events are big money. That's our society. It's basic supply and demand. As for the alcohol rule: Can't blame them on that either after last year's disgraceful behavior from the bad apples.
GeTydOn is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-12-2005, 10:38 PM   #10
the little guy

I know it's been at least $20 to get in the infield at Churchill for years. The seat prices are outrageous. The best seats at Pimlico are $275 or $225. I can't remember what admission at Pimlico is ( it's actually included with your seat if you have one ) but I think it's $15 or $20.
Old 02-12-2005, 10:44 PM   #11
GeTydOn

For Churchill infield is that a $20 infield fee plus gate admission? And what about parking at these tracks on their Triple Crown days?
GeTydOn is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-12-2005, 10:58 PM   #12
The Hawk

I belive infield admission at the Derby is up to around $35 or $40, which includes the gate. I think Pimlico is indeed $15, but I can't remember..

The last few years that there hasn't been a TC bid the attendance has been in the 30-40,000 range, I believe. If there's no TC bid this year I think we may see an even lower figure, given the changes. But you're probably right, TLG, the extra fees will very likely make up the difference. Again, if there is a TC bid, it's a home run and it's well-deserved, given the magnitude of the event.
Old 02-12-2005, 11:11 PM   #13
Figman

What are you guys smokin????
http://tinyurl.com/3rocb

NYRA is still a great bargain for "an event"
Figman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-12-2005, 11:25 PM   #14
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

I felt like I was raped paying $3 to get into Saratoga!
Paying admission to a racetrack is just...so......RIDICULOUS!
Old 02-13-2005, 12:02 AM   #15
Observer
Support Res-Q Foundations

When Commendable won the Belmont Stakes in 2000, when there was NO Triple Crown on the line, the attendance at Belmont Park was 67,810.

When Point Given won the Belmont Stakes in 2001, when there was NO Triple Crown on the line, the attendance at Belmont Park was 73,857.

Those numbers are far cries from 30,000-40,000.

Last edited by Observer; 02-13-2005 at 12:04 AM.
Observer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply