Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 02-07-2005, 03:31 PM   #1
Suff
Beat up 💪

BejranoSuspended

Maybe I missed it... But Other than the NY POST.. I didn't see Bejrano's 10 day suspension get much Press. (reduced to 7 when he wiaved his right to appeal)

10 Days, Careless Riding. He got it Saturday.. But I saw him riding Sunday? He's probably out all this week.
Suff is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-07-2005, 03:35 PM   #2
BillW
Comfortably Numb

I think I read that he is taking it starting Wed.
BillW is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-07-2005, 03:36 PM   #3
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

I'm sure you saw the thread, I think it was a total BS dq, but maybe I can see the days. The horse did come in, just don't think it affected the placings.

Edit:

Upon further review, to tell a man he can't earn a living (and his agent too) for 10 days is crap for that ride in my opinion.

Last edited by cj; 02-07-2005 at 03:37 PM.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-07-2005, 03:46 PM   #4
Valuist

I wonder if it was Migliore or Velazquez or a veteran who's been riding in NY for years if the suspension would've been the same. I doubt it.
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-07-2005, 05:19 PM   #5
the little guy

I called it here at the time, every time the stewards make a bad call they also suspend the jockey, because in their perverse thinking this justifies them.
the little guy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-07-2005, 06:08 PM   #6
AQUEBUCKS
maximan

NY Stewards

NY Stewards are by far the most incoherent/surreptitious in the business. If I had a nickle for every rider (Bridgmohan, Espinosa, Coa) just to name a few, who fail to ride out their horses to the line (on short odds horses after they're beat). I can recall several instances, often egregious from the naked eye, and they let it go on, time-after-time.

They ought to adopt the policies of the Singapore thoroughbred system where they suspend a Jockey for 12 Months for allegedly not riding a horse out to the wire. A majority vote by the stewards while examining a trend of similar instances, with a no appeal option. It happened to Donnie Meche in La., and I'm sure he learned his lesson. This would be an eye opener for some, but rest assured, the crooks in NY would never adopt such apolicy. I understand that they risk their lives everyday to fund their 2 million dollar Garden City, homes, but where do you draw the line?
Old 02-07-2005, 06:20 PM   #7
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

"Ride Out" can be a very subjective term at times. Some people think a jock has to be whipping and slashing every 1/2 second to qualify for riding out....others realize being ridden out can have many more subtle qualities.

I'm sure the stewards understand this....

Hey aquebucks, how'd ya get so cynical?
PaceAdvantage is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-07-2005, 07:43 PM   #8
BetHorses!

I thought it was a BS DQ also. Agree with CJ, did not affect the outcome. And they put up Arroyo. How do you like that?? Go figure
Old 02-07-2005, 08:04 PM   #9
toetoe
Veteran

Aque,
Singapore is too Draconian to model ourselves after. I know it's not a legal issue, but we're tough enough over here, just not CONSISTENT. Look at Pat V., for one example.
toetoe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-08-2005, 05:22 AM   #10
midnight

The DQ was bogus, as I said in the thread devoted to it, but not because Bejarano was without fault. It was bogus because the interference didn't affect the outcome of the race. The horse interfered with was beat at that point, still got second, and wouldn't have won anyway.

I agree with some action being taken against Bejarano, as he didn't make due effort to keep his horse straight. I believe that seven days is too harsh. Three days would be more in line, or perhaps a fine of some sort. On the other hand, a seven day suspension might get the point home better.
  Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-08-2005, 09:33 AM   #11
Valuist

If any of us made a mistake at work would we not be allowed to work for xx number of days? Its ridiculous. Fine them.
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-08-2005, 12:06 PM   #12
AQUEBUCKS
maximan

PA

Must be that New Yorker in me. Sometimes I hear things I shouldn't hear. Ya hear me?

AQUEBUCKS
Old 02-08-2005, 12:36 PM   #13
GeTydOn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valuist
If any of us made a mistake at work would we not be allowed to work for xx number of days? Its ridiculous. Fine them.
How many of us do work that's as potentially dangerous as what these jocks do? If any of us made a mistake at work, would we be fined?
GeTydOn is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-08-2005, 02:45 PM   #14
Suff
Beat up 💪

Many times, Unbeknownst to us, Jockeys have been informally, or formally warned. Its a daily Occurence that Stewards call Jockeys into the film room in the Morning. They go over the types of things that are being discussed here. You and I maybe be unaware that Bejarno had been called on the carpet 2 or 3 times previous to this, without consequence. Then Finally, on a marginal call like this, the stewards drop the Hammer.

You'd like to think that each and every DQ and/or Suspension is elvaluated on its own components. But People are Human and these things play out as such. When we see a DQ on a marginal call, it may have other Moving Parts that are being played out in the course of day to day operations of Running a Race Track.
Suff is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-08-2005, 03:23 PM   #15
CryingForTheHorses
In Front

Hey guys!. Its just as hard on the poor owner who has maybe waited weeks to run his horse, NOT to mention the countless dollars getting him there so y'all can cash a ticket.The stewards are a different bunch,They think different then you and I.They are GOD
!!This guy may have had a few warnings like Suff said and the stewards decided to make a case out of this certain race.Also someone said it was unfair to not let a agent make money for 10s day, All the agent has to do is have another rider.A GOOD agent watchs his jock ride every race and can also tell his rider what he think he is doing wrong. Everyone suffers when a horse gets disqualified from a race
CryingForTheHorses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply