Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 01-04-2005, 03:26 PM   #1
depalma13

My top 10 races of 2004

Feel free to agree or disagree or add others.

Honorable Mention: The Donn Handicap - Medaglia d'Oro rolls as the heavy favorite.

10. Iselin Handicap - Ghostzapper romps and earns the highest Beyer ever published going a route.

9. The Carter - Pico Central wins contesting the pace all the way in the second fastest time of the 104 runnings of the race.

8. Joe Hirsch Turf Classic - Kitten's Joy unleashes a move that American three year-old turfers aren't supposed to be capable of.

7. Breeders Cup Classic - Ghostzapper wires a very deep field in race record time.

6. Apple Blossom - A champion returns in style as Azeri leads all the way.

5. Belmont Stakes - Smarty Jones gives it his all, but is one length short of immortality.

4. Woodward Stakes- Ghostzapper and St. Liam throw down the gauntlet.

3. Suburban Handicap - Peace Rules shows all heart in coming back to win the race.

2. Dubai World Cup - Pleasantly Perfect runs down Medaglia d'Oro as the two American rivals take their game half way around the world.

1. Fountain of Youth Stakes - Read the Footnotes and Second of June battle from the six furlong mark to the finish and SOJ did much of it on a broken leg.
depalma13 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-04-2005, 03:38 PM   #2
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

I would put Funny Cide's win in the G1 JCGC pretty high, as he seemingly dropped out of the race, then re-rallied to take the win, but I know you don't like Funny Cide. Definitely a better race than the low rated Suburban.

I'd also have the Belmont and Apple Blossom higher.

By the way, where is Sweet Catomine's BC Juv Fillies? That as one great race for the winner.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-04-2005, 05:30 PM   #3
depalma13

Figures wise, the JCGC was better, but what Peace Rules did in that stretch drive was the definition of heart. Caught between rivals and going the wrong way, you rarely see a horse do that. As for Funny Cide, contrary to popular belief, I don't hate the horse. He made me far too much money in the Kentucky Derby for me to ever hate him.
depalma13 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-04-2005, 10:20 PM   #4
Observer
Support Res-Q Foundations

Not sure how I'd rank 'em .. or which races I'd use .. but I definitely think Azeri's win in the Go For Wand at Saratoga deserves a mention .. it showed the incredible heart of a champion .. a champion so many said never should have come back for a 2004 campaign .. which actually took her to new places .. like Saratoga!

When they turned for home, Azeri looked like she might be ready to pack it in to Sightseek, but the amazing mare simply refused to be denied that afternoon.
Old 01-04-2005, 10:32 PM   #5
toetoe
Veteran

my favorite director

Brian De Palma,
Slight quibble with one listing. The B.C. Classic field was only average. Funny Cide and Azeri were reenacting the value seeker's wet dream from the Met Mile(?) when they took so much money that Pico Central paid $8.90 .. !!! Pleasantly Perfect was all out to beat Perfect Drift for fourth. Perfect Drift was, well ... Perfect Drift. The first two finishers ran very very well, but let's not gild the lily. Maybe you meant just seeing all those ACCOMPLISHED horses assembled for one race was exciting. I'd buy that.

p.s. The sprint was nothing special, speaking of the B.C.
toetoe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-05-2005, 07:10 AM   #6
TOOZ

Arlington Million should be in the top 10 for the controversial factor.

Smarty Jones Preakness not in? - pretty impressive

Agree with the Kitten Joy's move, that was pretty amazing. Anyone remember Ghostzapper's move at Belmont two years ago when he went from last to first in that 6 1/2 furlong race?
TOOZ is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-05-2005, 11:41 AM   #7
rokitman
Registered BSer

That's a damn good list DeP. Isn't one on there that I would remove.
rokitman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-05-2005, 12:37 PM   #8
OTM Al
intus habes, quem poscis

Great list. I especially like your #1 choice as Second of June was my top 3yo of last year. He could have given Smarty some run had he been able to stay healthy. I am glad he is back. For me the best Smarty Jones race of the year was all the way back last January in the Count Fleet at Aqueduct. His coming out party. Went to his knees out of the gate and then proceeded to win by 10 lengths.

Last edited by OTM Al; 01-05-2005 at 12:39 PM.
OTM Al is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-12-2005, 01:50 PM   #9
Valuist

I thought Roses in May's effort in the Whitney had to be one of the 10 best. Ghostzapper beating 3 rivals in the slop wouldn't make my top 50 races.
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply