Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapping Software

Old 02-19-2002, 03:15 PM   #1
GameTheory

Parser nitty-gritty

Ok,

I'm finally preparing the charts parser to be sent out. I'm making some documentation now, and taking care of a few minor details.

One of the details is possible alternate names for familiar wagers, like "perfecta" instead of "exacta". So rattle a few of those off for me because I want to normalize them all so the exactas are all called exactas in the database, and whatevers are all called whatevers. Make sure you spell them correctly.

Besides perfecta, I think "exactor" is also used, and there's a similar one for the tri, but I can't remember exactly (triactor?). Superfectas, pick-whatevers, and the like I never play, so I have no idea about those. Anyone?

Also, I need a list of Canadian tracks, or least Canadian tracks that ever have graded stakes, so I can correctly distinguish a Grade I-II-III race from a Canadian Grade I-II-III race. I'm assuming any graded race run in Canada is automatically considered "Canadian", right? I think I know them all, but help me double-check...
GameTheory is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-19-2002, 04:14 PM   #2
Tim

GT,

Here's a list of Canadian tracks. The number in parens is the number of Graded Stakes that ran in 2000.

Assiniboia Downs
Desert Park
Fort Erie
Hastings Park (4)
Kamloops
Northlands Park (1)
Stampede Park (1)
Woodbine (35)

Tim
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-19-2002, 05:02 PM   #3
GameTheory

Thanks!

Another thing:

Some of the listings under M/E (medication/equipment) are unknown to me, specifically the equipment.

Normally, you only see "b" (blinkers) and "f" (front wraps) -- but I've also seen:

c
g
s

and possibly some others. All very rarely, but once in a while.

Is there a complete list of equipment codes somewhere?
Old 02-20-2002, 06:24 AM   #4
turfspec

Equipt. symbols

GT

On the DRF site you can obtain a listing of terms & symbols and explaination of the past performances by clicking on "Free Publications" and then "Winning Techniques". The info you want is on pages 12 thru 14 of that pdf file. Somewhere in the window containing "Free Publications" there is a link to where you can request a written copy be sent to you. In looking through it though, I don't see the three designations you mention. The full listing of Equipt. & Med. is as follows:

b = blinkers
f = front bandages
B = butazolidin
L = lasix
n = nasal strip
r = bar shoe

Maybe you can find others in the printed material or elsewhere on the site.

Looking forward to the Parser.

Rob
turfspec is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-20-2002, 07:58 AM   #5
ranchwest

My database contains the following designations (but I don't know what the rare ones mean):

aBbcdfgjLlmns
ranchwest is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-20-2002, 09:59 AM   #6
gillenr
Optimist

Nasal strip

I'm sure I read that the DRF is doing away with this equip. designation.
gillenr is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-20-2002, 11:02 AM   #7
wally2001

Hope the Parser is coming along well?

I have the ripper you sent out a few weeks ago but it seems to have stopped working, it just GP faults when I try to do the charts for th 13th or 14th, have equibase change their site or something? Anyway could I have a new copy and a copy of the parser when you send it out?

Here are a few of the odd equipments that I know of

n= no whip
s=nasal strip
q=nasal strip off

Cheers
Simon
wally2001 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-20-2002, 01:47 PM   #8
GameTheory

It seems since I'm getting the charts from Equibase, there are slight differences to the codes here and there. The equipment stuff isn't really that important -- the parser just copies the code over to the results, and the user can figure out what it means. I was just curious.

Wally: I sent you the latest version. A GP fault I have *never* seen with any version of my program, but is probably caused by a data glitch, and the program trying to read a string when it thinks there should be a number there, or something like that. Anybody else have any outright crashes with the downloader?
Old 02-20-2002, 09:04 PM   #9
MikeH

GT -

It's worked fine for me. Maybe 2 times, it has had a slight hiccup, but Equibase's site doesn't always work correctly anyhow, so it could have been something on their end. Anyhow, when I had a problem, I simply closed, then re-opened it, and it worked fine.

I think that it's a great timesaver and a good product.
MikeH is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-21-2002, 01:32 PM   #10
CumberlandBluesHSH

exactor, triactor

Game Theory.....you were correct that some tracks (mostly Canadian I think) call Trifectas Triactors.

I've also seen Daily Triple for pick-3, and just plain ol' Triple for Trifecta.

Can I get added to the list to recieve the downloader and parser? If so, sendd it to cumberlandblues@hotmail.com

Thanks much - should be a very useful tool.
CumberlandBluesHSH is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-22-2002, 12:36 AM   #11
highnote

Gametheory,
Is it possible to make the comma-delimited output of your parser match BRIS import result chart
format? That would be really helpful.
Regards,
John
highnote is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-22-2002, 12:43 AM   #12
GameTheory

Yes,

It does that -- in fact that's one of the main goals -- BUT it will never perfectly match a BRIS file. For one thing, I can't fill in the "last race" info cause that ain't on the charts. Also the beaten lengths will probably be off by a fraction. Other than that, though, I think I've got it covered...
Old 02-22-2002, 12:48 AM   #13
highnote

Gametheory,
I should've been more specific. Mainly, if you could put the same number of fields in the comma-delimited file and put the same data in the available fields as BRIS that would be awesome.

I'm sure there will some fields that are impossible to match from the available Equibase charts.

I've thought about doing what you're doing, but it's a big job. I applaude you.

Maybe I can send you some of my software in exchange if you're interested.

By the way I sent two emails to your renegade address but they were returned.

John
highnote is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-22-2002, 02:40 AM   #14
GameTheory

What?! Make sure you put "earthling", not "earthLINK". In any case, send 'em again. Actually, I get my mail through my web server, which was down for a bit earlier, but I seem to be getting my mail ok now... you can also use chessmad@chessopolis.com.

I should have been more specific. That is exactly what I'm doing. I have the BRIS file specs sitting right here in front of me. I was just saying that some fields will be blank (what is "Last Session", anyway?), but the correct number of commas will all be there in there correct places, and I've all got the BRIS codes for age/sex, race type, etc. all covered.

You will also be able to specify custom output formats by making a template for it, but I will provide templates for the BRIS files (Import Charts, Import Results, & Exotic Results) right away. At some point I'll also make them for whatever other formats are out there.

Actually, I was bit surprised to find out that the BRIS chart files don't even have payoffs in them! You have to spend an extra quarter on top of your dollar per card to get them. How lame...
Old 02-22-2002, 04:15 AM   #15
wally2001

Last session is the track code for the horse ran it's last race
wally2001 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply