Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 05-13-2017, 08:28 AM   #1
boxcar

The Beginning of the End for Abortion?

Oklahoma House declares abortion murder

http://thehill.com/homenews/state-wa...bortion-murder
Old 05-13-2017, 10:11 AM   #2
Jess Hawsen Arown

Americans have been 50-50 on abortion for decades.
Jess Hawsen Arown is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-13-2017, 01:18 PM   #3
chadk66

I doubt we could get that lucky. If murdering an unborn child while driving under the influence gets you prison time then a mother killing her unborn child certainly should also.
chadk66 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-13-2017, 01:24 PM   #4
Inner Dirt

I would be curious how many people cross party lines on their opinion of abortion and how many people have changed their minds on the issue over the course of time?

Count me as one disagreeing on the party platform here as someone who votes Republican 99.9% of the time. I see nothing good coming out of forcing a women to have a child she does not want. I do believe abortion should be a last resort, and birth control should be readily available even at no cost if necessary. I am not religious so that does not effect my opinion.
Inner Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-13-2017, 01:26 PM   #5
HalvOnHorseracing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess Hawsen Arown View Post
Americans have been 50-50 on abortion for decades.
Just to be precise, Americans are 50-50 on choice. About 50% of Americans are unequivocally anti-abortion. About 33% are pro-abortion in accordance with Roe v. Wade. About 17% are anti-abortion but pro-choice. In other words, they oppose abortion but won't support laws that limit a woman's ability to choose abortion. That's where the 50-50 comes from.
HalvOnHorseracing is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-13-2017, 01:37 PM   #6
Show Me the Wire
Quintessential guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
I would be curious how many people cross party lines on their opinion of abortion and how many people have changed their minds on the issue over the course of time?

Count me as one disagreeing on the party platform here as someone who votes Republican 99.9% of the time. I see nothing good coming out of forcing a women to have a child she does not want. I do believe abortion should be a last resort, and birth control should be readily available even at no cost if necessary. I am not religious so that does not effect my opinion.
I have. I believe abortion is an error. Even atheist agree that the function of life is to generate new life. Natural selection through new life causing life to evolve to adapt to the environment. Is it socially correct to give priority an individual member of the human race, selfish wants to the harm of the entire race?

Abortion, is man made interference by definition in the process of evolution by denying natural selection through new life. Who knows how man's interference will impact evolution and the future of humanity.
A free people ought not only to be armed, but disciplined; to which end a uniform and well-digested plan is requisite; and their safety and interest require that they should promote such manufactories as tend to render them independent of others for essential, particularly military, supplies.
George Washington

Last edited by Show Me the Wire; 05-13-2017 at 01:38 PM.
Show Me the Wire is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-13-2017, 01:54 PM   #7
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
The Beginning of the End for Abortion?
No. SCOTUS said that abortion is a human right under the Constitution.

Quote:
The resolution, passed on a voice vote without any debate, carries no force of law. But it takes the remarkable step of specifically accusing the Supreme Court of “overstepp[ing] its authority and jurisdiction” in Roe v. Wade and Planned Parenthood v. Casey, two landmark decisions that protected a woman’s right to seek an abortion.
It's not the beginning because they didn't really do anything. A beginning would require a state to pass an out-right ban and have it challenged in court. Not likely to happen.
Old 05-13-2017, 02:20 PM   #8
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
I think we should allowed to abort members of SCOTUS.
Old 05-13-2017, 02:35 PM   #9
xtb

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalvOnHorseracing View Post
About 17% are anti-abortion but pro-choice. In other words, they oppose abortion but won't support laws that limit a woman's ability to choose abortion.
To me this is like saying "I think it's wrong to kill someone if they are harmless but annoying, and I would never do it, but I don't think there should be a law preventing me from doing it if I wanted to."
xtb is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-13-2017, 02:41 PM   #10
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
I think we should allowed to abort members of SCOTUS.
If you ever met my 23 year old nephew serving 2-5 for trying to strangle his girlfriend in front of their kid you would believe abortion should be legal and retroactive.
Inner Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-13-2017, 05:53 PM   #11
Jess Hawsen Arown

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalvOnHorseracing View Post
Just to be precise, Americans are 50-50 on choice. About 50% of Americans are unequivocally anti-abortion. About 33% are pro-abortion in accordance with Roe v. Wade. About 17% are anti-abortion but pro-choice. In other words, they oppose abortion but won't support laws that limit a woman's ability to choose abortion. That's where the 50-50 comes from.
Interesting that 50 percent of Americans consider themselves "Pro-Choice" while less than a third consider it should be legal under all circumstances. What do they think "Pro choice" means? If you are Pro Choice, then you believe that a woman can have an abortion if she is having a bad hair day.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/1576/abortion.aspx
Old 05-13-2017, 06:00 PM   #12
Marshall Bennett

As conservative as I am, I'd hate being a woman and forced by law to give birth to a child I do not want. Newborns need that closeness with its mother to insure natural means to evolve. While adoptive mothers can be a successful alternative, the unconditional love is never the same. Having situational circumstances decide whether abortion is legal or not isn't any good either imo. This requires drawing a defined line to what is right and wrong. There will always exist a grey area to stir emotions and offer confusion. I doubt course will ever change much with regards to abortion. People have their beliefs and seldom veer very much.
Marshall Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-13-2017, 06:09 PM   #13
Jess Hawsen Arown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall Bennett View Post
I doubt course will ever change much with regards to abortion. People have their beliefs and seldom veer very much.
Once past their teens, few people who were Pro-abortion become Pro-choice. Personally, I have met many people who have changed to Pro-life (including Norma McCorvey who was the anonymous Roe v Wade instigator.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/18/o...wade.html?_r=0

She also switched sides, from abortion rights advocate to anti-abortion campaigner. She underwent two religious conversions, as a born-again Christian and as a Roman Catholic, and became in her last decades a staunch foe of abortion, vowing to undo Roe v. Wade, testifying in Congress and bitterly attacking Barack Obama when he ran for president and then re-election.

She was never the idealized Jane Roe crusader many Americans visualized. Some observers said she became a pawn used by both sides in the maelstrom of the abortion wars as her public views shifted from one side to the other. In her first book, “I Am Roe: My Life, Roe v. Wade, and Freedom of Choice” (1994, with Andy Meisler), she offered what was perhaps her own most objective self-assessment.

“I wasn’t the wrong person to become Jane Roe,” she said. “I wasn’t the right person to become Jane Roe. I was just the person who became Jane Roe, of Roe v. Wade. And my life story, warts and all, was a little piece of history.”

Plucked from obscurity in 1970 by Sarah Weddington and Linda Coffee, two young Dallas lawyers who wanted to challenge Texas laws that prohibited abortions except to save a mother’s life, Ms. McCorvey, five months pregnant with her third child, signed an affidavit she claimed she did not read. She just wanted a quick abortion and had no inkling that the case would become a cause célèbre.
Old 05-13-2017, 06:39 PM   #14
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clocker View Post

It's not the beginning because they didn't really do anything. A beginning would require a state to pass an out-right ban and have it challenged in court. Not likely to happen.
Yeah, I get that. It was more of a symbolic gesture than anything else. But hey...every marathon begins with the first step.
Old 05-13-2017, 06:50 PM   #15
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall Bennett View Post
As conservative as I am, I'd hate being a woman and forced by law to give birth to a child I do not want. Newborns need that closeness with its mother to insure natural means to evolve. While adoptive mothers can be a successful alternative, the unconditional love is never the same. Having situational circumstances decide whether abortion is legal or not isn't any good either imo. This requires drawing a defined line to what is right and wrong. There will always exist a grey area to stir emotions and offer confusion. I doubt course will ever change much with regards to abortion. People have their beliefs and seldom veer very much.
I think true unconditional love is demonstrated toward another when one doesn't have any emotional connections to the object of that love. Mothers and fathers love their children precisely for the reason that their kids are their flesh and blood. That kind of love is conditioned on that kind of attachment. But someone who takes in a total little stranger and is willing to care, nurture and love the child because it seems to be the good thing to do manifests love that is much closer to unconditional in nature than it can be with natural parents. Natural parents love their children because they are theirs; Adoptive parents love their adoptive children because....?