Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > **TRIPLE CROWN TRAIL**

Old 03-15-2017, 09:06 PM   #1
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

G2 Rebel: R10 Oaklawn 3/18

The Kentucky Derby trail is starting to heat up, especially after the loss of Mastery , and some other favorites falling hard in other preps.

Oaklawn gets into high gear this weekend in their major prep for the Arkansas Derby with the 8.5 panel Rebel. And this looks to be a pretty good edition of this race. Enough said, who do we got?

Silver Bullion: He has won here, but the company hasn't been all that inspiring. DWL hasn't had a serious contender in a while, and this one looks like a longshot in the Rebel.

Uncontested: First question is will he get the lead. Second question is, if he doesn't, can he hit the board? A couple of bullet works are expected for him. Simply put, he looks like a 1 turn sprinter and would need to make a major shift in tendencies to beat this field, much less hit the board.

Sonneteer: Well...., he is a Maiden. Then again, he has at least hit the board 5 of 8 times. And therein lies the problem. A 3YO with races under his belt, including 3 weeks ago, just doesn't offer up much hope of the massive improvement needed to win a race like this.

Petrov: Hit the Exacta in all 4 career starts in pretty good fields. He was right there and able to win last out, but was much the 2nd best. Improving colt that still needs to get better IMO.

Untrapped: Has ran in some really good races. Another that has hit the board in all of 'em. May have some upside left and Asmussen is a legend at Oaklawn. I'm a sucker for Trappe Shot's, but this one has had trouble before and may be due for a good trip. Interesting and can't be dismissed from the top spot.

Malagacy: 7 lengths and 15 lengths. Hard to look past a 2 for 2 horse with those kinds of victories. Sure, the last was a 6 horse field, but it was solid. Distance is obviously the question here for anybody and everybody. Then again after pulling away at 6.5Fs, he only has to go 1 more, right? Obvious speed influence to a field loaded with speed.

American Anthem: Shipped here after getting beat by Gormley who didn't show an ounce of anything last weekend against Mastery. Just another speed horse in a race full of speed? Smith/Baffert gonna be way overlaid. Bullets galore, he either wires, or is a pure bust. You wanna take 9/5?

Silver Dust: Getting better. Lanerie. Must include on exotics in this speedfest. Has always found some kind of trouble. Sneaky one that could be a solid underlay at monster odds.

Appalachian Gem: 2 HOF's hook up with Gary Stevens and Jack Van Berg. Hard not to root for this one. In the end, he is overmatched. He should keep coming though, and could fill out a Tri or Super.

Royal Mo: This may be Uncle Mo's best underling this year. And yet again, we have a front-runner from the 10 hole at Oaklawn filled with other speed. Good luck. IMO, you'll have to believe in a change of tactics from the connections to take back and work out a trip. Otherwise, a sure fire overlay pass.

Lookin At Lee: Only colt in here who ran in the BC Juvenile has done little in his 4 Graded Stakes races to date. On a good note, he should be getting a hot pace in front of him opening up a chance for his late run. Asmussen is solid at Oaklawn, and Santana is a very solid unknown off of the national radar. Does he put it all together in his 2nd race as a 3YO with 7 races already under his belt? Out of the 11 hole? Not likely.

Summary: Fully expect a crazy race. Looking at Untrapped right now, and looking to get 4/1 to 5/1. Exotics may well be the way to play this one as slot machine numbers could fill out any of the top 3.
Lemon Drop Husker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-15-2017, 09:47 PM   #2
Andrick

There's still a couple of days to change my mind, but as of now I may bet the Petrov to win since the price should be good, and then use him along with the American Anthem, Silver Dust (underneath), and Lookin at Lee (underneath) in exactas and tris. I don't really have an interest in any of the others right now.
Andrick is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-15-2017, 11:25 PM   #3
señorclipclop

Spot on with Untrapped. He could very well be undefeated at FG this year with better trips.
señorclipclop is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-16-2017, 07:15 AM   #4
PowerUpPaynter

I want Petrov to finish 2nd and keep sliding under the radar until derby day. He has a shot to Giacomo the derby.
PowerUpPaynter is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-16-2017, 09:04 AM   #5
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerUpPaynter View Post
I want Petrov to finish 2nd and keep sliding under the radar until derby day. He has a shot to Giacomo the derby.
OK.

Big problem though. Petrov isn't a 1 run deep closer like Giacomo. Maybe he changes up styles this weekend, but hard to see him coming from off the pace to win anything right now.
Old 03-16-2017, 07:45 PM   #6
Vince Stone

You mentioned Uncontested, and if he can get the lead. What do you look at in the PPS to see if the can get the lead besides the running line? Fractions of passed races?
Vince Stone is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-16-2017, 07:59 PM   #7
boys at tosconova

this is a deep field and there should be some value in the exotics. there's a few in here that most will discount, but can step up if good enough or the right scenario presents itself.

as much as you can pass on lukas, because many others look better, the horse is moving forward. odds should be high.

uncontested ran a weird race. can you take it onface value he just doesn;t want to go that far?. hard to forgive as he may not like the distance, but he buried petrov in the smarty.

can't dismiss sonneteer as well....if you like royal mo.....this one only lost to royal mo by a little over 1L twice. odds will be 50-1.

petrov-could get better..ran a nice one last one. won't be 8-1 this time and this field is stronger
boys at tosconova is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-16-2017, 08:07 PM   #8
PowerUpPaynter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Drop Husker View Post
OK.

Big problem though. Petrov isn't a 1 run deep closer like Giacomo. Maybe he changes up styles this weekend, but hard to see him coming from off the pace to win anything right now.
I think he can switch up his style a little, Exaggerator did. I think he would get better sitting back a little, he keeps being the horse to keep pressing the pace. I think he will benefit quite a bit coming from off the pace.
Old 03-16-2017, 08:15 PM   #9
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince Stone View Post
You mentioned Uncontested, and if he can get the lead. What do you look at in the PPS to see if the can get the lead besides the running line? Fractions of passed races?
Has led at the 1st and 2nd call of every race he has been in which has included 3 different tracks. Has ran 2 bullets leading into this one, thus I have no reason to believe that he won't get to (or want to) be on the front.

Every time this horse has trailed he has lost ground. Why would you not send him? Undoubtedly a pure frontrunner till I see anything different.

He is a need the lead horse. Period. Throw the in with him, and we have a hot pace.

Personally, I see the in a pace struggle. I see the as faster than the and ultimately on top after 4Fs. I then see the wilting into oblivion after 6Fs and the dueling to the top of the stretch opening it up for pure closers or off the pace types.
Old 03-16-2017, 08:17 PM   #10
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerUpPaynter View Post
I think he can switch up his style a little, Exaggerator did. I think he would get better sitting back a little, he keeps being the horse to keep pressing the pace. I think he will benefit quite a bit coming from off the pace.
I agree.

I think they can change this guy up and bring him from off the pace if not even mid-pack. My biggest problem is that I think he will be overbet to 3/1-4/1 type status in which you need 8/1 to fire on him.
Old 03-16-2017, 08:26 PM   #11
PowerUpPaynter

i dont even care about his odds this week. Im starring at that 73-1 futures pool ticket...
Old 03-16-2017, 08:27 PM   #12
boys at tosconova

Quote:
Originally Posted by boys at tosconova View Post
this is a deep field and there should be some value in the exotics. there's a few in here that most will discount, but can step up if good enough or the right scenario presents itself.

as much as you can pass on lukas, because many others look better, the horse is moving forward. odds should be high.

uncontested ran a weird race. can you take it onface value he just doesn;t want to go that far?. hard to forgive as he may not like the distance, but he buried petrov in the smarty.

can't dismiss sonneteer as well....if you like royal mo.....this one only lost to royal mo by a little over 1L twice. odds will be 50-1.

petrov-could get better..ran a nice one last one. won't be 8-1 this time and this field is stronger
untrapped- don't know where his odds will be, but i'm sure it will be lower than you think. might improve. seems like a horse people will be willing to use mainly because of positioning, looks a lil better, and potential pace. one of many that could be in the number.

malagacy- nothing new here folks. i'm in the same boat as everyone else w/ him. don't know what to w/ the horse, although my better half says let him beat you going 2 turns vs this field..which is what almost everyone is doing as well...possible low odds makes the toss easier

american anthem- man..this horse could really burn some money in here. can't say i was ever pro gormley as well. i think you have to put him on your ticket but he doesn't have to be his best and he might be compromised
Old 03-16-2017, 08:42 PM   #13
boys at tosconova

Quote:

Quote:
untrapped- don't know where his odds will be, but i'm sure it will be lower than you think. might improve. seems like a horse people will be willing to use mainly because of positioning, looks a lil better, and potential pace. one of many that could be in the number.

malagacy- nothing new here folks. i'm in the same boat as everyone else w/ him. don't know what to w/ the horse, although my better half says let him beat you going 2 turns vs this field..which is what almost everyone is doing as well...possible low odds makes the toss easier

american anthem- man..this horse could really burn some money in here. can't say i was ever pro gormley as well. i think you have to put him on your ticket but he doesn't have to be his best and he might be compromised
silver dust- seems like everyone's sleeper pick. 2nd off the bench after a race were he had some trouble. would be stupid think he can't move forward once again...especially w/ a pace to run at. yet another one to consider.

appalachian gem- have to let this one go. could improve but everyone else seems to look better. can't go 11 deep.....haaaa

royal mo- might take mo money than he should be but he's taken care of binness. 2nd race off of layoff after a nice win off the bench.
mo might be 5-1 and sonnet 50-1

lookin at lee- finished nicely off the layoff to edge silver dust. seem to run better than dust but dust encountered some problems. problem i have is he was just so far back and closed to beat scrubs. obv should be tighter..doesn''t seem like you get a square price though
Old 03-16-2017, 08:42 PM   #14
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

Quote:

I see Untrapped as 4th/5th favorite and off odds around 7/1.

American Anthem will be ridiculously overbet with his hype and the Baffert factor in his favor. 9/5 to 2/1 or so.

Then Malagacy, Uncontested, Royal Mo, and Petrov may well get more money than Untrapped. Wouldn't be surprised if Malgacy goes off as the favroite. Public loves undefeated horses in big races.
Old 03-17-2017, 10:39 PM   #15
Bennie

Just playing a double with 5 and 7 to the 3 Dan the go man and another horse yet to be decided. Then if 10-1 or higher post time, I will play a small w/p on the 8 Silver Dust. was looking at the 11th for possible plays besides the 3 and saw the 8 horse comments - trainer 28% drop off win and horse moves up in class from last race
Bennie is offline   Reply With Quote Reply