Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Poll: Should sportscasters and sports radio hoists talk politics?
Poll Options
Should sportscasters and sports radio hoists talk politics?

Old 09-30-2016, 11:08 AM   #1
Inner Dirt

Should sportscasters and sports radio hoists talk politics?

I find it highly annoying when a blowhard like Dan LeBatard (I don't listen to his show anymore) has to share all his liberal views on a sports talk show. I don't want to hear how motor mouth Phil Simms will no longer say Redskins or Bob Costas's views on gun control. I don't want to hear their political views even if I agree with them. I came to watch a game, listen to one, or hear sports discussed, nothing more.

Anyone else highly annoyed at politics creeping into sports? It didn't used to be this way. Of course most of it is liberal spewing as the largest sports conglomerate ESPN is about as far left as it gets.
Inner Dirt is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-30-2016, 01:33 PM   #2
Saratoga_Mike
Veteran

Totally agree - I don't care if they're liberal or conservative, keep it out of the broadcast. They should adopt the rules of this forum!
Saratoga_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-30-2016, 01:49 PM   #3
jk3521
Registered Loser

I don't want to hear about politics at all anymore. Especially from some freak ex-jock !
jk3521 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-30-2016, 03:03 PM   #4
johnhannibalsmith

I am curious how John Sterling would call a Donald Trump homerun.

-Robert James Smith, 1989
johnhannibalsmith is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-30-2016, 03:30 PM   #5
jk3521
Registered Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhannibalsmith

He is high (in the polls), He is far (right), He's gone !

Thu-u-u-u-u-h Donald wins !

I wonder if he'd call that one right !

Last edited by jk3521; 09-30-2016 at 03:36 PM.
jk3521 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-30-2016, 05:10 PM   #6
therussmeister
Out-of-town Jasper

I don't even think they should talk sports.

~Alan Watts
therussmeister is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-30-2016, 05:46 PM   #7
schweitz

It drives me f-ing crazy. I go to a sports channel or station for sports---nothing else. ESPN is the worst---can't even scroll through sports news on their web page without a political story buried in the middle of the scroll. If I'm listning to a sports radio station and they start talking politics I switch to another station(DFW is blessed with 3 full time sports stations).
schweitz is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-30-2016, 06:17 PM   #8
barahona44

Location: Diez meses en Port St. Lucie, FL; two months in the Dominican Republic
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhannibalsmith
Or Susan Waldman."Oh my Gawd,of all the dramatic things I've ever seen, Donald is standing in George Steinbrenner's box, oh my goodness gracious,Donald is coming back.He's right there in George's box, my goodness.Donald Trump is a New York Yankee again"
barahona44 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-30-2016, 07:31 PM   #9
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

I get just as annoyed at the track.

I want the important TVs on HORSES.

People change the channel, without permission to news, sports etc.

I change it back and tell them it's a blanken racetrack. You wanna watch the giants, go home.

OR use the damn TV at your personal station.

Reply: Oh I just wanted to see where they were.

Me: Racetrack, we are at the blanken racetrack. Use your own TV.

I agree, Mike Fat scesca was talking politics here in NY. SHUT UP MIKE. All you are paid for is sports. Stick to it.
EMD4ME is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-30-2016, 08:53 PM   #10
garyscpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk3521
I don't want to hear about politics at all anymore. Especially from some freak ex-jock !
Exactly, I only get my political views from movie stars.
garyscpa is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-30-2016, 09:09 PM   #11
HalvOnHorseracing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt
I find it highly annoying when a blowhard like Dan LeBatard (I don't listen to his show anymore) has to share all his liberal views on a sports talk show. I don't want to hear how motor mouth Phil Simms will no longer say Redskins or Bob Costas's views on gun control. I don't want to hear their political views even if I agree with them. I came to watch a game, listen to one, or hear sports discussed, nothing more.

Anyone else highly annoyed at politics creeping into sports? It didn't used to be this way. Of course most of it is liberal spewing as the largest sports conglomerate ESPN is about as far left as it gets.
I agree. There's a time and a place and a live sporting event is not the time or the place. But with regard to Phil Simms, if he is truly offended and not just being PC, and all he does is make the statement ONCE, isn't he the equivalent of a baker who refuses to do a wedding cake for a gay couple, except the baker isn't on TV until someone comes to interview him? Acting on his conscience?Simms didn't make the statement on a broadcast. It was an Associated Press story in July 2014 where he made the announcement. He got a lot of interview requests before a Thursday night Redskins/Giants game two months later. I don't know how often it has come up since, but it was a legitimate story at the time, especially if people questioned why he didn't say the name during the broadcast after the game was aired. LeBatard and Costas were editorializing, and in my opinion inappropriately using their bully pulpit. Simms gets a pass from me though.
HalvOnHorseracing is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-30-2016, 09:41 PM   #12
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by therussmeister
I don't even think they should talk sports.

Perfect!

That one Jets game many years ago, on a Saturday, nothing but the track PA feed. No one in the booth. Best game I ever watched.

Back in the day, one guy a game.
Far too much jabbering about nonsense these days. Most of it completely nonsense.
Old 09-30-2016, 09:59 PM   #13
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom
Perfect!

That one Jets game many years ago, on a Saturday, nothing but the track PA feed. No one in the booth. Best game I ever watched.

Back in the day, one guy a game.
Far too much jabbering about nonsense these days. Most of it completely nonsense.
I remember a long time ago in a land far away the TV announcer (Chick Hearn comes to mind) would apologize for talking too much saying he was doing a simulcast and could not have dead air on the radio. Hearn's extra talking was at least trying to give you a visual of the action. Nowadays the TV guys talk as much as the radio guys, with the TV guys as you say a lot of it is jabbering about nonsense.
Old 10-01-2016, 12:33 AM   #14
ElKabong

I don't even want to hear politics in church service. Yet it creeps in every other week or so. I wish entertainers and whatnot would realize they don't have a firmer grasp on issues than the average joe. They simply don't.
ElKabong is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-01-2016, 09:22 AM   #15
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElKabong
I don't even want to hear politics in church service. Yet it creeps in every other week or so. I wish entertainers and whatnot would realize they don't have a firmer grasp on issues than the average joe. They simply don't.
I have something I felt was worse in a church. It was a wedding ceremony I was there for the groom as he was the nephew of my best friend, Mike used to work summer break for me when he was in high school. He didn't have a religious bone in his body, but his bride to be occasionally attended church at where the ceremony was held.

It was summer the AC in the church wasn't keeping up and people were packed in like sardines. I am a tank top, sandals, and short guy till the temp gets under 45, but I am in suit and tie.

The ceremony drags on an on and the major cause of that was the preacher used the wedding ceremony as a recruiting drive for his church and talking down to those who did not share his faith. It wasn't my place to say anything, but it was tough to sit through that and then not say something afterward. Of all the weddings I went to I remember that one the most, and it wasn't for a good reason. That marriage ended in divorce after a couple years and two kids. During Mike's navy deployments his wife rotated doing all his high school buddies.