Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Computers

Old 05-18-2016, 10:45 PM   #1
Ocala Mike

Smart Phones 101

Not sure if this belongs here, but what the hell. I'm going to the Verizon store tomorrow where they want to "upgrade" me from a cell phone to a smart phone. My daughter says I should get a basic Android device, not an Apple product.

Being technically naive, what are some brand names/models I should look for? Naturally, I want something simple and inexpensive up front and monthly. All I basically need is access to Snapchat, Instagram, and bare-bones internet access. It's not going to replace my ancient desktop, and I doubt that I'll be downloading a bunch of apps.

Anyone have any suggestions? A Samsung product, maybe?
Ocala Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2016, 03:47 AM   #2
barn32
tmrpots

I will never pay $600 for a phone again. They either break down or are outdated in two years.

Why the prices of phones hasn't come way down is beyond a mystery. My phone cost more than my laptop!

I'm with T-Mobile and a friend of mine got a new Samsung LG phone (can't remember the exact model) for $350, and he loves it.

Either way you have to pay something, but just for the GPS and Internet alone they are worth it.

By the way, most smartphones take great pictures and video.

I have a lot of apps on my phone, but they are free so it doesn't matter. I even trade the markets from my phone.

And if you're looking for a good Bluetooth, I've had lots of them, but the one I have now is the best one I've found yet. Crystal clear quality and lots of other features.

Plantronics Voyager Edge (Worth the money)

Last edited by barn32; 05-19-2016 at 03:49 AM.
barn32 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2016, 08:50 AM   #3
forced89

I still use a 5 or 6 year old Samsung clamshell with Voice Mail and Texting blocked. All I can do is make and receive phone calls. My cost is about $30 per month and I don't miss what I don't have.
forced89 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2016, 10:29 AM   #4
therussmeister
Out-of-town Jasper

Quote:
Originally Posted by forced89
I still use a 5 or 6 year old Samsung clamshell with Voice Mail and Texting blocked. All I can do is make and receive phone calls. My cost is about $30 per month and I don't miss what I don't have.
Using a legacy pay-as-you-go plan I buy $11.70(after fees and taxes) and try to make it last 3 1/2 months. T-mobile's cheapest plan is $3.00/month for 30 minutes or texts and $0.10/minute if you go over.

I don't know why you block voice mail, T-mobile allows me to access voice mail online thus making it free. That is one of the main reasons I get by so cheaply.

I have a smart phone but only use wi-fi. I paid $40 for it.

~Alan Watts
therussmeister is offline   Reply With Quote Reply