Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapping Software

Old 06-30-2004, 10:16 PM   #1
HIGH ROLLER
Journeyman

HTR VS HSH?

if i understand correctly HTR gives your their program free while the other guy charges $700.

but you still have to pay for the HDW data.

if the programs are roughly equal sounds like there is no choice but to go with HTR.
HIGH ROLLER is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-30-2004, 10:24 PM   #2
kitts

You go with the one that works and helps you make good betting decisiions. There are plenty of software choices under $700 like All-In-One which is what I use. But, as I have preached before, use the one that "fits" you best. There is an investment involved here and a learning curve as many posters on this board will tell you.

Kitts Anderson
Chairman, Oldguys Oasis
kitts is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-30-2004, 10:29 PM   #3
Dave Schwartz

High Roller,

Actually, it is only $600. <G>

And who said they were "roughly equal?" <VBG>

Or, you can look here and try for a deal:

Current eBay Auction

Regards,
Dave Schwartz

Last edited by Dave Schwartz; 06-30-2004 at 10:30 PM.
Dave Schwartz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-30-2004, 10:32 PM   #4
TonyK@HSH

Re: HTR VS HSH?

Highroller,

While both programs have staunch supporters I would propose that the programs are not alike. I personnaly use HSH and have for years. I'm very satisfied with the results. I don't use HTR but have a close friend and handicapper that is a customer of Ken's. He swears by Ken..he is a stand up developer who does introduce some ingenious ideas.
From my perspective, HTR is focused on pace handicapping and is very adept at it.
HSH on the other hand offers multiple handicapping methods. There are several built in (one button) systems, pace options, neural networks, database queries and more.
I'd suggest that you speak to each developer and get a look into their software..then consider your handicapping comfort zone. After that the choice will be obvious to you.

Good luck

TonyK
TonyK@HSH is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-30-2004, 10:36 PM   #5
sq764
EIG

If you pay $600, do you get a '@HSH' email address too??
sq764 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-30-2004, 10:41 PM   #6
HIGH ROLLER
Journeyman

WOW HSH ON EBAY?

looks like dave schwartz has pressed his wife into action to hawk HSH on ebay.

what next a local carnival? lol
Old 07-01-2004, 12:16 AM   #7
Dave Schwartz

High Roller,

A Carnival! I never thought of that. How does one organize something like that?

And, just for the record, she approached me. After all, she IS the eBay Queen! Just look at those feedbacks!

Just out of curiosity, what was your purpose in starting this thread?

Dave Schwartz
Dave Schwartz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-01-2004, 09:37 AM   #8
HIGH ROLLER
Journeyman

COMPARE PROGRAMS

the reason? maybe to expose the hypocrisy on these forums, but don't worry you will have your band of merry minions to provide their knee-jerk reactions.
Old 07-01-2004, 09:43 AM   #9
sq764
EIG

Well damn, when I thought we were bashing Dave, I was all in.. But now that you say you are bashing the forum in general, I have to object..
Old 07-01-2004, 09:49 AM   #10
HIGH ROLLER
Journeyman

NOT AT ALL

you are correct, the forum is great, its the BS that is absurd. last week a newcomer asks about the best software. almost immediately the HSH crowd is out in force with telephone numbers to dave.

i mean what fool would suggest to a newcomer to start with a $600 program plus the locked in data.
Old 07-01-2004, 10:07 AM   #11
HIGH ROLLER
Journeyman

R.O.I.

i myself would buy a program if any of these uri geller types could prove it works.

but then again after 300 people using them there goes your edge.
Old 07-01-2004, 10:10 AM   #12
sq764
EIG

Well, personally I wouldn't pay $600 for a program, but I can't fault the HSH people for trying to gain another customer.

I don't think you can fault someone for trying to promote their product and trying to secure another customer. It's just business.
Old 07-01-2004, 11:08 AM   #13
GameTheory

When will people understand that handicapping software doesn't make the money for you? If you are a graphic artist and buy Adobe Photoshop ($650), does it MAKE the pictures for you? If you are a stock trader and get a stock program (many thousands $$$ likely), will it decide what trades to make? If you are an a engineer, does your CAD program ($200 - $1000) design things for you?

No, no, and no -- they're tools that help in the process. Notice I also put in the price you can expect to pay for these professional level tools. Considering HSH (which I do not use, and I've never given or received a penny to/from Dave, so I don't think I'm a "minion") has tons of features and is certainly a "professional-level" tool (is there a more full-featured handicapping program even out there?), I don't think the price is out of line. Some people seem downright offended at the price tag. And the data, although it is true you are "locked in" (a month at a time) is downright cheap for what you get.
GameTheory is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-01-2004, 11:14 AM   #14
levinmpa

I've never used HSH so I can't give an opinion on it. However, I rate HTR very highly for a number of reasons.

Unlimited data download for one monthy fee, including results and charts.

The software is free and upgrades are posted regularly on the website.

Outstanding customer service.

Monthly newsletters discussing different handicapping factors.

Their own forum to post questions or comments to other users.

Ratings that I haven't seen in any other software. I'm not talking about speed or pace ratings. I believe this is very advantagious.

The ability to export data into a customized database and query different angles or theorys instantly. (an enormous timesaver)

All in all, an outstanding value for what this software is capable of.
levinmpa is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-01-2004, 11:16 AM   #15
sq764
EIG

On the flip side, a high priced piece of software certainly does not guarantee that it's worth the price. I have seen several $500+ software versions that were total pieces of crap.