Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Computers

Old 02-14-2016, 10:17 AM   #1
upthecreek

Connecting old Hard drive

I want connect my old HD to my laptop I know I need some kind of cable ,but what kind? A Google search confused me more than helping me Lol
HD is a Samsung SP2504c out of a Dell Dimension desktop
Thanks in advance
upthecreek is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-14-2016, 10:28 AM   #2
Dave Schwartz

Easiest is to get an external enclosure and connect via USB.

Probably around $35 or so.
Dave Schwartz is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-14-2016, 01:19 PM   #3
MJC922

I have one of these EZ-Dock things at work, simplest thing in the world to use.

http://www.directron.com/ezd2535u3.html?gsear=1
Old 02-14-2016, 04:50 PM   #4
whodoyoulike
Veteran

I think there was another similar thread which I may have even been the one who started it. Someone cautioned to be certain the OS or the other HD was compatible with the older HD. It might have been something about access speed.

Last edited by whodoyoulike; 02-14-2016 at 04:52 PM.
whodoyoulike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-15-2016, 11:05 PM   #5
pandy

I just replaced the hard drive on my HP laptop with one of those Samsung 850 EVO Solid State drives. It increased the performance tremendously, no more spinning. I always wondered why the thing was so slow when it had a good processor in it, but if the hard drive can't keep up it hurts the performance and the hard drive gets slower and slower over time.
pandy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-15-2016, 11:24 PM   #6
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

SSDs do give you a pretty solid boost no matter how fast or slow your computer is...

Just don't go with a crappy brand...these drives aren't as reliable as you might think compared to traditional hard drives. Maybe they've gotten better in the last year or two (I hope). But when I first bought one, I had it crap out on me in less than a year because it got filled up and then keeled over and died.

I think it was an OCZ drive that I bought (they've since been bought by Toshiba)...I went next with a Samsung and haven't been disappointed...

Also, never run a disk defrag on an SSD....there are other caveats too:

http://www.howtogeek.com/165472/6-th...-state-drives/

The above is from 2013, so some things might have changed...I haven't kept up on the most recent advances in SSD technology...
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-16-2016, 06:56 AM   #7
pandy

I had it installed by Geek Sq ($39.99) because my HP laptop is one of those that doesn't have the easy hard drive install, you have to take the optical (dvd) drive out and the entire back cover off. Bad design. Next time I buy a laptop I'll make sure that it is easy to remove the drive. Fortunately Geek SQ at Best doesn't charge more for that. The Geek at Best Buy told me not to defrag it.
pandy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-16-2016, 01:01 PM   #8
MJC922

There was a point maybe three years ago? where I wouldn't buy anything but an Intel SSD because at the time they were just about the only brand with reliable controller firmware. I had an issue with a very early model SSD (non-Intel) it sounds similar to what PA experienced, back then if it wasn't Intel forget it. Then the sandforce controllers came out and started getting better, more and more brands just started incorporating those, and I may be wrong but think it even reached a point where sandforce got good enough that Intel started using them too.

Anyway, I still have all of my early Intel SSDs running without issues, and this is a few years later. The most important production machine I have is running a Kingston SSD for a couple of years now, and no issue there either. These days I really think you're probably pretty safe with any brand as long as it's a newer model.

I just ordered three of these for upgrading laptops at work, don't expect any issues whatsoever:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019H3B248