Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Computers

Old 01-29-2016, 12:21 PM   #1
raybo
EXCEL with SUPERFECTAS

Google Chrome

I've been receiving alerts when opening Google Chrome for a couple of days now. The alert says that Google Chrome will stop sending upgrades to my computer soon because they will not be supporting XP and Vista. I'm running Vista. Does anyone have the skinny on this stuff? I can see XP not being supported by Chrome because MS has stopped supporting it, but why Vista?

By the way, IMO, Vista is the 2nd best Windows OS behind XP, ever. Hoping MS keeps supporting it in the future. I've heard W7 isn't bad, but the lack of a Start button turns me off. Win8.1, I have it on my laptop, and I hate it, literally!

Excel Spreadsheet Handicapping Forum

Charter Member: Horseplayers Association of North America

Last edited by raybo; 01-29-2016 at 12:25 PM.
raybo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-29-2016, 12:57 PM   #2
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

I am using XP and Chrome and have received no messages so far.
I have W7 at work and there is a start button.

I always chuckle at MS that you have to hit the start button to stop.
Old 01-29-2016, 01:49 PM   #3
ebcorde
Veteran

can't help you

Vista? that's like 2005. it must run slow unless you installed a boatload of memory, they run all ads, video on web browsers from 3rd party sources.

I loaded the stinking free version of Windows 10 at home. I now hate windows as soon as I buy an external drive this weekend bye bye windows forever, Hello Linux Centos. finally an excuse to buy a new PC and unload 5 years of crap off the old one.

I noticed that this free version of Windows 10 slows down Google Chrome, Firefox,and Opera. but don't slow IE down.

NEVER BUY WINDOWS 10.

Last edited by ebcorde; 01-29-2016 at 01:50 PM.
ebcorde is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-29-2016, 02:44 PM   #4
upthecreek

Quote:
Originally Posted by raybo
I've been receiving alerts when opening Google Chrome for a couple of days now. The alert says that Google Chrome will stop sending upgrades to my computer soon because they will not be supporting XP and Vista. I'm running Vista. Does anyone have the skinny on this stuff? I can see XP not being supported by Chrome because MS has stopped supporting it, but why Vista?

By the way, IMO, Vista is the 2nd best Windows OS behind XP, ever. Hoping MS keeps supporting it in the future. I've heard W7 isn't bad, but the lack of a Start button turns me off. Win8.1, I have it on my laptop, and I hate it, literally!
They're supporting Vista til 8/17 & W7 til 01/20
upthecreek is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-29-2016, 03:01 PM   #5
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
No offense meant but this would put you in an extreme minority.

Windows 8.1 and is probably the most stable version of Windows I have ever used. The lack of a start button is easily remedied. Just go to Stardock.com and for $4.95 they will hook you up with a start button (the product is called start8).
Dave Schwartz is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-29-2016, 03:33 PM   #6
upthecreek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Schwartz

Windows 8.1 and is probably the most stable version of Windows I have ever used. The lack of a start button is easily remedied. Just go to Stardock.com and for $4.95 they will hook you up with a start button (the product is called start8).
I'm in the minority as well Vista superior to W8.1-worst version I ever had Nothing runs on it and apps don't work,my reliability meter is consistently @ 1-2 and trouble shooter is useless,never finds any solutions I'm in the processs of buying a refurb laptop with W7
upthecreek is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-29-2016, 03:40 PM   #7
raybo
EXCEL with SUPERFECTAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Schwartz

Glad to be in the minority, on just about anything.

I have W8.1 on my laptop, and the start button, as well as the normal desktop, is easily displayed by moving the mouse cursor to the bottom left corner of the default screen and clicking it. That's not the problem I have with W8.1, the problem is that everything I do on the computer takes much longer to accomplish, and the OS just runs slower than Vista (or XP). I have had Vista on my last 2 desktops and have never had any issue, with anything, including the speed. I also can't get the "Box Sync" app to sync all my Box.com files (which is a biggie for me), and takes twice as long to sync many fewer files than it takes my Vista desktop to sync many more files.

Old 01-29-2016, 03:47 PM   #8
raybo
EXCEL with SUPERFECTAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthecreek
They're supporting Vista til 8/17 & W7 til 01/20
The message I'm getting says that Chrome will stop sending updates to my Vista machine, "soon", because Chrome will stop supporting XP and Vista. Not sure what that message means exactly. I'm hoping that Chrome will still work fine, but will stop automatically updating itself, which I literally hate, wish they'd just leave it alone. Once you get used to seeing things one way, and using it one way, they think they have a better way and update it without asking if you want the update. I do assume that many of the updates are for security issues, and that might become a problem if they stop supporting Vista. But, I'll wait and see.

Old 01-29-2016, 05:47 PM   #9
Ocala Mike

Like Tom, I'm running XP, and Google Chrome is my browser of choice. I have received no messages, warning or otherwise.
Ocala Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-29-2016, 05:50 PM   #10
whodoyoulike
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by raybo

I have XP on one of my machines and haven't received any of these messages. Maybe you picked up a virus somewhere and should try refreshing your Google Chrome version by going to the upper right box (I think under help) if you don't see an update to the latest Chrome version then I understand you're up to date. You can also Google it.

Now, I have been receiving a message every few days which reminds me that XP support will or has been discontinued which I've been ignoring but I don't think it mentions anything related to Google Chrome. Again, I've been ignoring those messages on my XP machine so I'm uncertain of the exact wording of the message.
whodoyoulike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-29-2016, 06:09 PM   #11
Red Knave
dGnr8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebcorde
I noticed that this free version of Windows 10 slows down Google Chrome, Firefox,and Opera. but don't slow IE down.
What you see is not what I see. I'm very happy with W10. I see no slowdowns with Firefox or Edge (which I hardly use).
Most message boards that I have looked at seem to believe that it is some combination of old software+plugins+extensions that compromises Chrome.
I gave up on Chrome a couple years ago and won't go back until I see current haters start singing it's praises again.

The takers get the honey, the givers sing the blues - Robin Trower, Too Rolling Stoned - 1974
Red Knave is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-29-2016, 07:06 PM   #12
_______
Veteran

If someone would just praise Windows ME, I could complete my collection of rare fans of unpopular OS's.
_______ is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-29-2016, 07:13 PM   #13
raybo
EXCEL with SUPERFECTAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocala Mike
Like Tom, I'm running XP, and Google Chrome is my browser of choice. I have received no messages, warning or otherwise.
Maybe XP isn't receiving updates already so no alerts are being sent to Chrome?

Here's a screenshot of the message I get every time I open Chrome.

Attached Images
File Type: png Google Chrome alert.png (18.0 KB, 97 views)

Old 01-29-2016, 07:17 PM   #14
raybo
EXCEL with SUPERFECTAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by _______
If someone would just praise Windows ME, I could complete my collection of rare fans of unpopular OS's.
WinME was very unstable, according to almost everyone who reviewed it that I read about. WinXP and WinVista have run perfectly on my machines since I upgraded from Win97 (which worked fine also). I never tried Win98 or WinME because of the bad press they were getting at the time.

Old 01-29-2016, 07:20 PM   #15
whodoyoulike
Veteran

Only time I sign into Google is to read email then I logoff.

Why do you need to sign into Google?
whodoyoulike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply